FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks like the civilian version has an M16 style flash hider.
Is the military flash hider that can take a suppressor available to civilians?
Is the barrel threaded the same for both flash hiders?
I am planning to buy the SCAR and a suppressor and would like to use the military flash hider.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Flash Hider

The civilian version has a muzzle break. It was required in order for FN to bring the rifle in from overseas.

The military flashhider is available to civilians. It is an AAC flashider designed for the SCAR-SD. Older suppressor though. Personally I went with the M4-2000 Mod 08. Very nice suppressor.

The barrel is threaded with standard AR threads so you can put whatever you want on it really.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hey Spartan,
I think the one seen on the Mk16 Military SCAR L is the "18 Tooth AAC Blackout Suppressor Mount". Am I correct here?
From what I've been reading I THINK that this 18 tooth Blackout will allow the mounting of several AAC suppressors, correct?
I know it will mount the SCAR SD suppressor, and I think it mounts the M41000, as well as the older M4 2000's, right?
Could someone correct me if I am wrong here?

Take a look at this link, and see the TWO TOP LEFT mounts.
One is the AAC Blackout, and the other is the 762 SD mount.

Now I THINK that the Military Mk16 SCARS have been shown with the AAC Blackout (very top left corner one), RIGHT?

http://politesocietyinc.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?cat=6

As seen on AAC's website:

http://www.advanced-armament.com/scar_sd.asp

·
Registered
362 Posts
Paul,
That is correct. It was designed for the SCAR SD 5.56 suppressor. I spoke to AAC about those very questions since I have an M4-2000. The AAC rep told me that while my M4-2000 would mount on it, he would not recommend it. I believe it is because mine locks on using the ratchets while the M4-1000 and SD use springs to hold in place.

The Blackout flashhider is supposed to be great. But the thing is solid Iconel and dealers pay about $75 dollars for them so I can kind of understand FN putting a cheaper hider on since most of us change it anyway.

Be aware that some dealers still sell some of the phantom style (old) flashhider as the mount. AAC went away from those because of breakage.

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
I think I've seen pics of some SCARs (prototypes possibly?) with the SOPMOD mount (M4 1000) or something similar at least.

·
Registered
104 Posts
djv38 said:
I think I've seen pics of some SCARs (prototypes possibly?) with the SOPMOD mount (M4 1000) or something similar at least.
What exactly would this be?? Pics? Links?
Never heard of a "SOPMOD" mount that works with the M4 1000???

·
Registered
362 Posts
That's right. The old style was the phantom. You still see them around but not as often anymore. Too bad since it looks cooler than the Blackout and it doesn't have the "tuning fork" effect but at least it doesn't break.

·
Registered
104 Posts
What exactly does the "tuning fork" effect do? I always heard that about the Smith Vortex, but I didn't know it was also apparent on the AAC 3 prong Blackouts. What exactly are the symptoms of this "tuning fork" effect?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Some people don't like the new Blackout mounts because of the high pitched "tuning fork" sound that occurs when you shoot it without a suppressor. I have one on a Noveske built AR and you can definately hear it. It really doesn't bother me, though. I have the old style phantom mounts on half a dozen other rifles (I have a old model M42000). They have never gave me any sort problems after many thousands of rounds. There really isn't anything on the mount itself that could break or give you anymore problems than any other mount. They were having problems with the old style M42000s and the retaining spring that held it onto the phantom mount. The spring tends to wear out after repeated mounting and unmounting. This problem was supposedly eliminated with the mounting system on the new model M42000. The phantom itself is very effective at suppressing muzzle flash. The main reason (IMO) why AAC quit selling the old style phantom was because they were manufactured by YHM. As you are probably aware, YHM now maufactures their own line of suppressors and phantom mounts which are basically the same as AACs old style phantom (except they are not compatable with AAC suppressors). AAC now markets a mount that is very simular to the old style Phantom, but I haven't had any experience with it.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Thanks for the info.
It sounds like you are saying that ALL of the Blackout mounts have this tuning fork effect? (regardless of whether 18 tooth, or the "ratchet mount" 51 tooth??)

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have only used the 18 tooth mounts, but I would imagine that the 51 tooth mounts would also "ring". Please don't get me wrong, I wouldn't have any problem using one of the Blackout mounts on a SCAR. Like I said, I have one on one of my ARs. The sound really isn't noticeable unless you listen for it. With tradition ear protection I doubt you could even hear it. I just personally prefer the Phantom style mounts.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the info. I was concerned that the flash hider was a FN proprietary design.
Now that I know that it is AAC, I'll just get the suppressor and an AAC hider.
One question, I installed an AAC flash hider on a AR15 recently. The wrench flats of the flash hider were small and no wrench ASA or metric fit it exactly.
The torque is supposed to be pretty high but there is no way to reach it given the design of the flash hider.
Any ideas on that?
Has anybody tried to remove a AAC flash hider that was glued and torqued on a barrel?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Any links to that new flash hider? Any further information would be greatly appreciated as I am about to buy a new FH for the SCAR.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Okay, I talked to AAC and here's the scoop:

They love the Blackout FH and they are not replacing it. The muzzlebreak is more in line for bolt action guns and such where the owners don't care for the flash hiding effect. They are also coming out with a 7.62 model in a bit as they only have one in 5.56 at the moment.

One upside to the muzzlebreak design (and they said it is unconfirmed at the moment due to lack of testing) is the possibility of extending the service life of the suppressor as the blast baffle might not take as much of a beating due to the gases being vented more to the side instead of straight out.

Interesting regardless. Honestly though...I've never really noticed the tuning fork effect myself. I guess you really have to try to hear it...

·
Registered
431 Posts
Mine ring all the time. Both on the AR's and on the Sig 556.

But that is not an AAC defect.

My 4 prong HK53 hider has always rung too.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Yeah, I don't think you can get around that tuning fork on a prong design.

As far as changing it out, you're right that no tool really fits it right. When I can finally get my hands on a SCAR I am going to just buy a new one instead of taking it off my AR15. Not worth jacking it up and not having either. This way I can also use my suppressor on both rifles.

With as much torque as you'll need to put into it...why risk it?

However, if you do try to remove it, a piece of advise I heard is to hit it with like a rubber mallet on the end of it (like you're pushing it back into the rifle) before you try to take it off.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts