FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 3-prong Surefire flash suppressor/suppressor mount for SF SOCOM762-RC.
Should I use the factory lock-nut, or remove it and direct mount the flash suppressor (timed with shims) and use Rocksett?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
9,528 Posts
Don't use the nut.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Do not us the nut if you plan on using a supressor with it. Clean threads with acetone and wait till it is completely dry then apply rockset to the threads and torque to 20 ft/lbs. No need to time a FH. There will be a small length of threads exposed below the FH, but this is only cosmetic.
DSCN2389.JPG

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, everyone. BUT the type-A part of me wants the open port of the FH facing up (possibly minimally decreasing muzzle climb and with a solid "tine" on the bottom minimizing dust kick-up (+ the anal "it looks right").
Should I use the SF washer and shims to do this, or should I ****-can the whole idea?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
It depends if you are going to run a can or not. If you are not going to run a can then you will not have to worry about a possible baffel strike, so you could use the factory locking nut to time the FH. I would not use the shims because there really is not much of a shelf on the SCAR barrels. From my experience with my other rifles that have timed FH, there is not any more noticeable dusk kick-up compaired to the untimed FH. It seems purely cosmetic when running a 3 pronged FH. I hope this helps!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It depends if you are going to run a can or not. If you are not going to run a can then you will not have to worry about a possible baffel strike, so you could use the factory locking nut to time the FH. I would not use the shims because there really is not much of a shelf on the SCAR barrels. From my experience with my other rifles that have timed FH, there is not any more noticeable dusk kick-up compaired to the untimed FH. It seems purely cosmetic when running a 3 pronged FH. I hope this helps!
Yup it does help, thanks. I am going to follow all the sage advice and just screw it all the way on with Rocksett, no shims and no nut.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts