FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received an FN 45 today and there were two Big Surprises. The "thumb safety" isn't. It's just a de-cocker. The magazines don't drop free.

This will teach me to assume things are going to be a certain way (based on owning 3 FNP 9s...).

Gun won't be fired. Will be put on consignment for someone who needs a hi-cap SIG 220.

Grrr.

Randy Mays
Idaho Falls

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
I can't imagine that the mags do not drop free.

I would bet that with a trip to the range - the mags will start to slide out.

I have bought semi-autos in the past - and on occasion, the mags don't fall free on their own until you break the gun in.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Unless you have the somewhat rare SAO FNP 9 they are decockers as well, as is my FNP 40.

·
Registered
116 Posts
On the FNP-40 the mag release is a little stiff, but if you push it hard enough the mag drops free. The mag release on my M&P is much lighter, but a number of owners have reported mag drop problems with the M&P, so I don't mind the stiffer release on the FNP.

·
Registered
249 Posts
On my FNP9 the empty mags won't drop free if the gun is pointed downward. But if you keep the slide parallel with the ground or even tiltled back, they drop free just fine.

I'd make sure your not tilting the gun forward when your releasing your mags.

It's going to take some getting used to when I'm doing my quick reload drills, but no biggie.

·
Registered
1 Posts
There are manual/safety versions as well as de-cocker versions, at least according to the FN catalog. I have not seen a manual safety version for sale, just a pic of one from shot 08.

z-zero

·
Registered
136 Posts
I just got my new FNP-45 and IT has a Safety (UP position), OFF (MIDDLE position) and Decocker (DOWN position)...or am I totally confused?!!

I have not had the opportunity to fire it at the range yet, but in my "empty" dry firings the gun will not fire with the weapon cocked while the Safety is on.

Something else I'm curious about after reading so many posts is that I noticed my .45 came with the 3 mags but the one inside the magazine well was a 15 rounder and the other two were the normal 14 rd mags. Does this make my weapon different than what others are getting or was I just "lucky?"

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
Art SC said:
I just got my new FNP-45 and IT has a Safety (UP position), OFF (MIDDLE position) and Decocker (DOWN position)...or am I totally confused?!!

I have not had the opportunity to fire it at the range yet, but in my "empty" dry firings the gun will not fire with the weapon cocked while the Safety is on.

Something else I'm curious about after reading so many posts is that I noticed my .45 came with the 3 mags but the one inside the magazine well was a 15 rounder and the other two were the normal 14 rd mags. Does this make my weapon different than what others are getting or was I just "lucky?"
You shouldn't be confused. There are 2 versions, the FNP-45 and the FNP-45 USG (or United States Government). The USG is the one with the safety/decocker and it comes with 1 15 round mag and 2 14 rounders. This has to be cleared up. I see a lot of people here (usually new to FNP's) who are confused by this.

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
I wonder if a sticky list with member photo's of each would help. That way it could clear up the confusion.

Here's my FNP-9 USG with safety on:

When the safety is down/in the middle position, a red dot is visible above it. I believe all FNP's have a little divet there, but only USG version's have them colored in.

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
I like it. Hopefully I'll be able to get a SCAR someday, then they'll match, since I'm so into color coordinating and crap like that :lol:

I actually do like it, although I would like an all black one too. This is my first pistol, so the FDE helps when figuring out what needs to be cleaned. It really shows the grime, which in my case was a good thing since I didn't initially have a clue as to what needed cleaning. When I got my first shotgun, my dad gave me the cleaning kit and said "go at it" with no further instruction. Looking at his shotgun, I clearly do a better job :lol:

I personally don't care that much for the black with stainless. Too me, those are more of "show pieces." The FDE is more of a "military" style in my mind and is functional in the field than a black one would be. I would have been equally happy with an all black one, but I got this for a pretty good deal and haven't seen any 9mm black USG models yet.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My FN45 has the 3 Hi Cap Mags (14 rounds), Decocker, no safety, and the mags will drop free but you must press hard on the mag release.
It shoots well and I use an Uncle Mikes #15 IWB for concealed carry

Overall it is a fine firearm

1 - 15 of 15 Posts