FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NOV.4th BOUGHT A SPANKING NEW FN.45. Went to the range and had ejection and slide lock issues. Went straight across the lot back to the store and sent it back to FN. Been a month, received **** customer service , never acknowledged my email to customer service. When I call, I get **** for help (Rudy) and am told "it's with a gunsmith, that's all I know. Listen, I spent a small fortune on this weapon. I have kids in college and worked real hard to save for this treat. All I get are snickers from my fellow shooters of GLOCKS AND SW MP's. This was a mistake, I know its only a machine, but the lack of customer service is unforgivable. Should have gone GLOCK
DISAPPOINTED IN New Jersey :roll:

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
You live in NJ, that's why.

Reactions: adamc and Milspec

·
Registered
3,731 Posts

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
I wouldn't bother, sounds like OP just wants to vent not looking for help.
Yep. I'm a little surprised anyone would return a gun so fast. Personally, I trouble shoot the issue first (and this issue is pretty much standard break-in issues due to weak ammo from the sounds of it)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
NOV.4th BOUGHT A SPANKING NEW FN.45. Went to the range and had ejection and slide lock issues. Went straight across the lot back to the store and sent it back to FN. Been a month, received **** customer service , never acknowledged my email to customer service. When I call, I get **** for help (Rudy) and am told "it's with a gunsmith, that's all I know. Listen, I spent a small fortune on this weapon. I have kids in college and worked real hard to save for this treat. All I get are snickers from my fellow shooters of GLOCKS AND SW MP's. This was a mistake, I know its only a machine, but the lack of customer service is unforgivable. Should have gone GLOCK
I used a variety of ammo. Started with Federal; went to PMC brass; then onto Remington. All factory fresh ammo, all same results. As far as the trouble shooting...Don't mess with auto's don't have the knowledge. Break in period?? shouldn't work proper out of the box? 1st time all the time? Mt shooting buddy has a Springfield Armory 1911 w/no such issues and my F'n Glock friend well...its a glock. Looks like **** but seems to be reliable with over 1000 rounds no jams feed issues or ejection problems. Guess I'm just the unlucky one. Hasn't turned me off on the weapon...just wont trust it for a long time. All this and in NJ TOO

·
Registered
469 Posts
If you search the site, you'll find that most owners had those issues with their pistols when new regardless of ammo. Just keep the slide locked back or better sit and watch TV while racking the sliding several hundred times manually. All your problems would have been solved without further issues. Sounds like you're new to the semi auto pistol scene. Same issues with my new HK pistols also, but never a hiccup after that break in procedure. Good Luck.

PS-I guess in NJ you don't get to handle military grade weapons too often. Maybe you should stick to revolvers,

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
rookie question... did you clean it first ?

I learned that the hard way !

Reactions: Tarkus and JMike

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
If you search the site, you'll find that most owners had those issues with their pistols when new regardless of ammo. Just keep the slide locked back or better sit and watch TV while racking the sliding several hundred times manually. All your problems would have been solved without further issues. Sounds like you're new to the semi auto pistol scene. Same issues with my new HK pistols also, but never a hiccup after that break in procedure. Good Luck.

PS-I guess in NJ you don't get to handle military grade weapons too often. Maybe you should stick to revolvers,
Yes your right. Wheel man at heart, but 15+1 sounded like fun. Usual sidearm is a SW 686 .357 thought I'd try an auto. Wonder what FN tech is doing with it. The shells ejected at 5 O'clock most hit my shoulder, some found my face, others jammed in the port. Odd these auto's. Thanks for the feedback guys, I think they should be 100% out of the box but then again...what do I know

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Yep. I'm a little surprised anyone would return a gun so fast. Personally, I trouble shoot the issue first (and this issue is pretty much standard break-in issues due to weak ammo from the sounds of it)
Also could be operator error, i.e. limp wristing. His glock and sw fanboy buddies are probably all too eager to chalk up the failures as justification for their own choices in firearm brands.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Sorry for your troubles and yeah, Rudy is a real "peach".

It has already been said, but I hope you cleaned it before you tried to use it. Always do that.

The other thing that has been mentioned is limp-wristing. That will definitely cause feeding problems.

One other thing I can add that hasn't been stated is any time you have a problem with a firearm, get someone else to shoot the thing to see if they are having the same problems or if it is you.

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
Yes your right. Wheel man at heart, but 15+1 sounded like fun. Usual sidearm is a SW 686 .357 thought I'd try an auto. Wonder what FN tech is doing with it. The shells ejected at 5 O'clock most hit my shoulder, some found my face, others jammed in the port. Odd these auto's. Thanks for the feedback guys, I think they should be 100% out of the box but then again...what do I know
FN's come with pretty stiff recoil springs initially. The ejection pattern is another example of that. It usually stops that ejection pattern by 300 rounds. I've seen Glocks do this and XDm's do the same thing when new.

Reactions: LESTER

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks, I did have the range master give it a go. He got smacked a few times also, but had no ejection jams. Funny you said that about cleaning it first. I didn't and the fine folks where I bought it didn't mention it though they new where I was going..especially since I purchased my ammo there and mentioned it. Limp wristing? not sure what you mean. I was having ejection issues no feed issues. Does it make a difference? Thanks for your help

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
Limp wristing is basically not keeping your wrists locked up enough. Your wrists will absorb too much recoil stealing away some of the slide momentum needed to properly cycle the slide, which could result in the slide not locking back and ejection issues, as well as feeding issues.

I'm not sure what your experience is with revolvers (mainly what caliber), but you might be limp wristing a little bit if you're used to shooting 38 spl only.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Keep the pistol and give it a chance to get broken in. I know you'll love and definitely an overall better than Glock. Any new weapon rifle or pistol needs a proper break in, then lots of practice to become accurate. If your don't get frustrated, give it some time and I guaranty you'll come to enjoy it! Good Luck

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Does anybody have an idea as to why the gun needs to be cleaned out of the box? there didn't seem to be any heavy grease or oil in the working mechanisms when I field stripped it in the store with the sales guy. Has any permanent damage been done since it was fired immediately?

·
Premium Member
21,753 Posts
Does anybody have an idea as to why the gun needs to be cleaned out of the box? there didn't seem to be any heavy grease or oil in the working mechanisms when I field stripped it in the store with the sales guy. Has any permanent damage been done since it was fired immediately?
From the owners manual in case you missed it which it seems you did.

Various exposed metal parts of your pistol have been coated at the factory with a preservative lubricant. Before using your pistol, clean the preservative lubricant from the inside of the barrel, slide and the action/chamber areas with a quality gun oil as explained in Section 17.2. If your pistol is to be stored, it is acceptable to leave the preservative lubricant on the pistol and keep it in its original packaging. Never fire the pistol upon purchase without cleaning it first. If the pistol contains hardened grease or other substances that you cannot remove, have the pistol checked by your dealer or departmental armorer.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts