FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
With the number of major manufacturers that have found a way to screw up 22LR semiauto pistols, think I would be holding off on this for a while to see how they do. Have a Ruger with an optic (although is not slide mounted as there is no slide) and a Taurus TX22 that both run flawless, so not really in the need for another 22LR semiauto.

·
Registered
947 Posts
500 series with hammers on! A step in the right direction

There are several interesting elements in their photos that differ from 509. One is that it looks like slide, barrel and frame (or is that trigger module?) are all externally serial #'d

·
Premium Member
8,974 Posts
This pistol isn't even made by FN it's a private labeled Umarex.

I understand those wishing to train economically with 22LR while maintaining the manual of arms of a fighting caliber version.

That said to me this is more a marketing gimmick than a firearm. Ruger makes the best 22LR semi-auto pistol for basic marksmanship training, IMHO!

·
Registered
947 Posts
This pistol isn't even made by FN it's a private labeled Umarex.
I certainly saw the moniker on the grip frame, but do you have further info that the rest of the pistol is not FN as well?

Reactions: Ex-Racer / Ex-Pat

·
Premium Member
8,974 Posts
I certainly saw the moniker on the grip frame, but do you have further info that the rest of the pistol is not FN as well?
The ATF requires the manufacturer and importer if applicable names be engraved on any firearm. Umarex is a well known manufacturer of 22LR firearms for big names. It would be logical to assume this is made purely under license by Umarex since there's no record of FN Herstal being involved with 22LR.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The ATF requires the manufacturer and importer if applicable names be engraved on any firearm. Umarex is a well known manufacturer of 22LR firearms for big names. It would be logical to assume this is made purely under license by Umarex since there's no record of FN Herstal being involved with 22LR.
I have an HK 416 22LR made by Umarex. I've never fired it. Not once so I can't speak to personal experience, but everything I've read has been positive.
The 502 is already available on Eurooptic's site for anyone itching to give it a go immediately.

·
Premium Member
8,974 Posts
I have an HK 416 22LR made by Umarex. I've never fired it. Not once so I can't speak to personal experience, but everything I've read has been positive.
The 502 is already available on Eurooptic's site for anyone itching to give it a go immediately.
Umarex has a good reputation for their replica rimfire and air guns. I personally stick to Ruger for 22LR.

Reactions: Here is no why

·
Premium Member
8,974 Posts
$500 retail and not even made by FN, no thanks.

Bill
I agree, this is a marketing gimmick. It must also be considered that very hot, not so cheap 22LR ammo would likely be required to cycle the slide if an RDS is mounted due to mass and inertia in a blowback system.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I, too, have a "Ruger with an optic", as well as a S&W 22A with an optic: neither mount on the slides... So what?

What's the problem with a(nother) NEW 22lr pistol? Obviously, ala S&W & GLOCK, the concept is to provide a pistol for training purposes (as well as general use) that replicates the size, controls, etc. of their standard-sized offerings.

I am more interested in the actual design. It would appear this is a fixed barrel blowback, but I can't find an exploded diagram or a video showing how to break down (field strip, if you prefer) for cleaning. How this actually performs and whether it can live up to some of these initial claims is yet to be seen: the jury is still out! Hades: they haven't been given final instructions, yet...!

Might be a bit early to throw the (new) baby out with the bathwater...?

Cheers!

·
Registered
947 Posts
I, too, have a "Ruger with an optic", as well as a S&W 22A with an optic: neither mount on the slides... So what?
[...]
Might be a bit early to throw the (new) baby out with the bathwater...?
As to so what, on your Ruger and S&W the optic is mounted to a fixed part i.e. the barreled receiver vs. here where on the 502 it appears the dot would mount to the, as @SeaMac said, reciprocating slide. So the ammo must be hot enough and the springs tuned right to move all that extra mass. Reliably.

I too am curious to see what comes of it though

·
Premium Member
8,974 Posts
I ordered one from Eurooptic. My entertainment dollar exploded in my pocket.
You do realize you have now obligated yourself to a full review, right?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Looks like the 1/2x28 threads are actually part of the barrel and the barrel can be removed from the slide without messing around with removing a thread adapter as required on alot of other popular 22lr pistols. Can anyone confirm this?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts