FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
6,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here know if there's a specific direction these sights need to be pushed? I searched the forum and found this information for an FNS...

FN FNS 9 Sight removal and Installation

Removal: Left to Right
Installation: Right to Left

Reactions: LESTER

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've never seen anything specific on the subject myself. I know the M&P sights are a similar style and it doesn't matter with them. But I can't say for certain on the 509. Any local smiths you can ask?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have sights to replace my 509 tactical factory high sights with. So far, zero luck removing the factory sights. I am pretty sure I was about to destroy my sight pusher (sure as hell hurt my hand twisting it). I left the slide to soak overnight in Kroil. We will see if I have better luck tonight. If not, I may try heat or water (in case they used rocksett) if I have no luck this attempt.

·
Registered
6,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I've never seen anything specific on the subject myself. I know the M&P sights are a similar style and it doesn't matter with them. But I can't say for certain on the 509. Any local smiths you can ask?
Unfortunately the most experienced and trustworthy local 'smith passed away two years ago. His daughter who ran the business end of things told everyone he died working at his milling machine, he passed doing what he loved.

I always do most work myself, I own the proper tools and have done many sights in the past just never on an FN. Thanks for the suggestion though.

·
Registered
6,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have sights to replace my 509 tactical factory high sights with. So far, zero luck removing the factory sights. I am pretty sure I was about to destroy my sight pusher (sure as hell hurt my hand twisting it). I left the slide to soak overnight in Kroil. We will see if I have better luck tonight. If not, I may try heat or water (in case they used rocksett) if I have no luck this attempt.
Do you remember which direction you initially tried pushing? I've got a pretty robust Wheeler sight pusher but would prefer not to break it or damage my 509.

I'll wait for your update before I go to pushin'. It is my understanding the 509 is based on the FNS so it would stand to reason the directions should be the same. Good luck pushin'...

·
Premium Member
13,516 Posts
It appears you have a guinea pig! lol! I would wait and for Bgall too! report back so you don't F*ck up! lmao!!!!!

·
Registered
6,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It appears you have a guinea pig! lol! I would wait and for Bgall too! report back so you don't F*ck up! lmao!!!!!
I don't mind being the guinea pig, I do mind f*ck'in my 509 up.

It took 2 months for Trijicon to change the factory rear sight's tritium vials from green to yellow. Their first attempt sent to me after 1 month they forgot to black out the outlines, just bare aluminum not even white. Another month and I finally received my factory FN suppressor height rear sight with my preference of yellow tritium lamps and the proper black outlines.

Reactions: LESTER

·
Registered
70 Posts
Slide is out of the kroil parts washer bath (2 heated cycles, soaked 20 hours). I will let it seep out of the bath tonight and report back tomorrow. In the meantime, here is the target I was plinking at 300 yards open sights with m855 ball with my SCAR 16s today... Oh, I am not the one who shot off the top plate you see on the ground.
scar16-300.jpg

·
Registered
70 Posts
Facing the front (bore, bullet exit point, business end, whatever you call it) of the pistol I was finally able to push out the front sight from LEFT TO RIGHT. I could NOT push it out from right to left. It was a son of a ***** to get out too. Looks like the kroil soak and 2 cycles through the heated parts washer was finally enough to allow me to break it free.

NOTE: This was done with a wheeler sight replacement tool.

·
Premium Member
13,516 Posts
Facing the front (bore, bullet exit point, business end, whatever you call it) of the pistol I was finally able to push out the front sight from LEFT TO RIGHT. I could NOT push it out from right to left. It was a son of a * to get out too. Looks like the kroil soak and 2 cycles through the heated parts washer was finally enough to allow me to break it free.

Thanks for the update on the removal 👍

·
Registered
6,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Facing the front (bore, bullet exit point, business end, whatever you call it) of the pistol I was finally able to push out the front sight from LEFT TO RIGHT. I could NOT push it out from right to left. It was a son of a * to get out too. Looks like the kroil soak and 2 cycles through the heated parts washer was finally enough to allow me to break it free.

Rear sight was just as hard to get out as the front.
Appreciate the update @Bgall, I'll be changing my sights hopefully this weekend. I'll update then...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Slide is out of the kroil parts washer bath (2 heated cycles, soaked 20 hours). I will let it seep out of the bath tonight and report back tomorrow. In the meantime, here is the target I was plinking at 300 yards open sights with m855 ball with my SCAR 16s today... Oh, I am not the one who shot off the top plate you see on the ground. View attachment 137938

·
Registered
6,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
^^^Umm, 67th Precinct NYPD did Bgall leave something out?^^^

As this is your first post, if you would like to add something, you can edit the post using the 3 vertical dot (menu) in the top right hand corner of the post. Thank you and good luck...

·
Registered
70 Posts
I would hesitate to use a heat gun on tritium sights and a blow dryer would not be hot enough to melt loctite.

·
Registered
6,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Some of the manufacturers use lock tight on their sights Heating them up works. Try using a good blow dryer or heat gun
Thanks for the suggestions but I've never heard of loctite being used on press-in dovetail sights. I also know a hairdryer doesn't generate enough heat to soften red loctite, a heat gun for sure but then you also risk damaging the epoxy that holds the tritium vials in-place. I'll try the mechanical "push" first, if no joy then lots and lots of PB Blaster.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts