FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone!
I am struggling with 45 FNX when it comes to having nice consist groups and was wondering if has had this issue or have any tips… and I do understand this is a question that’s probably next to impossible to answer over the internet.
Anyway.. I have had my FN for 4-5 months and I feel as if I am not making any progress on the range. Groups are inconsistent and I consistently hit low and to the right. I am confident this is user error but it seems no matter what I try (ex. Changing my grip) I cannot correct the issue and have no confidence with this pistol. On the flip side I do have GP100 revolver and am very confident with this firearm. Grouping and accuracy are great. I know we are talking apples and oranges but I can’t seem to figure out why I do so well with my revolver but have been continuing to struggle with my FN with no sign of improvement.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would back up and get your baseline. Set the gun on a sandbag with a not too tight grip and see if you can get on target with it. If still wild, get different ammo, or have someone else make sure it shoots. Get comfortable shooting it on the bags (sight picture, trigger, grip) before you start going freehand again.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
Have someone toss some snap caps randomly in the mags to check for flinching. I had that issue for quite a while where I couldn't get very good groups. Figured out I was flinching and anticipating recoil.

But I would agree with the above and is something I have my friends do if they're struggling with groups: rest the gun to see what the accuracy potential is and then go from there.

Reactions: Aikimike

·
Registered
150 Posts
Fair amount of take up with the trigger too. Had to adjust for that myself coming from 1911 platform. For me, i am much more aggressive with the grip and almost to the first crease in the finger is where I hold the fnxt45 vs a 1911 where I use middle of the pad and less grip strength. I tried to be "accurate" with it doing all my stunts but wasn't working. With the fnxt I am quite firm and do far better this way. Just a thought as it worked for me (doesn't work with my .44mag being as firm as i am with the fnx). Good luck bud.

·
Registered
25 Posts
If I remember correctly the factory sights are set for 30 yards, I would say look at your grip. You may have been gripping the fnx odd compared to the revolver. I second the snap caps, best way to see what you are doing off. Take a buddy with you to the range and have him watch for inconsistencies.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Sadly, most accuracy problems shooting a handgun are caused by the nut holding the grips. In other words, the shooter. Bear in mind the FNX has fixed sights so if it doesn't shoot to center of target, you can compensate by changing your aiming point.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Sadly, most accuracy problems shooting a handgun are caused by the nut holding the grips. In other words, the shooter. Bear in mind the FNX has fixed sights so if it doesn't shoot to center of target, you can only compensate by changing your aiming point.
The sights can be adjusted left to right.

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
The one in the video is only $50-60 and it works very well (I do have it) and easily pays for itself if you ever replace 2-3 sets of sights vs. having a gunsmith do it.

Reactions: TactiTex

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Sounds like you may be anticipating and jerking the trigger low. Do you flinch? Snap caps will let you know. Have a buddy video you while you shoot. You never said HOW FAR off you were. Its all relative. To put it in perspective, when your done with your target, hold it against your chest and think hrmmm would this have been accurate enough to stop me???

I wondered if my sights were accurate when I first bought my SS 40. Luckily the guy I was with at the range was a pro with a FNX 40. I handed it to him and asked if sights were accurate. He proceeded to punch the center of the target out and then walked a line across the bottom of it. Yea mine were accurate. It was just me that sucked. 1000 rounds later and I'm getting half way good again.

Can you do what I did? find someone who is very good with it and let them shoot it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Dude I had the same problem with the fnx 45t at first. Mainly in double action. The reset I was able to close my groups. Sorry to say it, but the trigger is pretty bad. Way too much creep. I'm sure if you get used to the trigger it will help you tighten your groups. The break on this trigger is rough.

·
Registered
120 Posts
They aren't that expensive.
It's really no more expensive than a good day at the range.
The point I was trying to bring up was that a group can be moved by moving the aiming point. I have a $100 sight pusher. It doesn't work on a single action Colt so I adjust my aiming point on the target.

·
Banned
119 Posts
Hello Everyone!
I am struggling with 45 FNX when it comes to having nice consist groups and was wondering if has had this issue or have any tips… and I do understand this is a question that’s probably next to impossible to answer over the internet.
Anyway.. I have had my FN for 4-5 months and I feel as if I am not making any progress on the range. Groups are inconsistent and I consistently hit low and to the right. I am confident this is user error but it seems no matter what I try (ex. Changing my grip) I cannot correct the issue and have no confidence with this pistol. On the flip side I do have GP100 revolver and am very confident with this firearm. Grouping and accuracy are great. I know we are talking apples and oranges but I can’t seem to figure out why I do so well with my revolver but have been continuing to struggle with my FN with no sign of improvement.

Thoughts?
I wouldn't sweat it too much unless you are shooting for precision or competition etc. FNX is a battle gun, and will hit center mast within 25 yards no problem (most engagements are max 10-15) and will go bang every time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts