FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Posted in the other thread:

It's a Classic High Power with the internal extractor. Probably made between 1950 and 1960.

-In 1960 the "thumbprint" on the front of the left side of the slide was removed.
-The Controller of Proof Mark (*O) was used by Watrin Charles from 1928-1965
-My 1950 pistol has serial number 28,*** but serial numbers are not conclusive.

There should be some date code markings on different parts, indicating the year and quarter each part was made/inspected. It is not uncommon to have parts made from different years in any one pistol. I identified my pistol as being a 1950 production... the code mark for 1950 was a "0." surrounded by a partial box and appeared on the frame on the front of the trigger guard on the left side. It was stamped upside down, relative to the orientation of the pistol. I have seen a similar mark on the right side of the frame in the same place on mid 1950's pistols. I have also seen it under the grip panels. It may appear on the barrel, on the inside of the slide and hammer and these marks may be different than the mark on the frame. These marks were eliminated on later pistols when serial numbers included a better reference to year of production.

I don't see these date code marks on the trigger guard on yours. If you can find them and provide a good closeup photo/photos, I or someone else here may be able to decipher them and get you closer to a year of manufacture. I may take another look later and see what else I can see. Send more pictures!

Cheers,

Tim

·
Registered
35 Posts
The best mark is the one on the right side of the barrel ( [2 ) which should be 2nd quarter of 1952. On the right front trigger guard is an incomplete mark which might be ( [2] ) which may indicate 1st quarter of 1952.

By these two clues I think yours was made in early 1952.

I cannot yet decipher the rest of the marks. Thanks for sending them along... I will add them to my collection of FN HP marks and hope to decode them one day!

It looks to be in really good shape.
What are you intentions for this pistol? If it is to be a shooter, you should/need to replace all of the springs, especially the sear spring. You also should replace the recoil spring guide rod with a new one.

Cheers,

Tim

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Posted in the other thread:

It's a Classic High Power with the internal extractor. Probably made between 1950 and 1960.

-In 1960 the "thumbprint" on the front of the left side of the slide was removed.
-The Controller of Proof Mark (*O) was used by Watrin Charles from 1928-1965
-My 1950 pistol has serial number 28,*** but serial numbers are not conclusive.

There should be some date code markings on different parts, indicating the year and quarter each part was made/inspected. It is not uncommon to have parts made from different years in any one pistol. I identified my pistol as being a 1950 production... the code mark for 1950 was a "0." surrounded by a partial box and appeared on the frame on the front of the trigger guard on the left side. It was stamped upside down, relative to the orientation of the pistol. I have seen a similar mark on the right side of the frame in the same place on mid 1950's pistols. I have also seen it under the grip panels. It may appear on the barrel, on the inside of the slide and hammer and these marks may be different than the mark on the frame. These marks were eliminated on later pistols when serial numbers included a better reference to year of production.

I don't see these date code marks on the trigger guard on yours. If you can find them and provide a good closeup photo/photos, I or someone else here may be able to decipher them and get you closer to a year of manufacture. I may take another look later and see what else I can see. Send more pictures!

Cheers,

Tim
The best mark is the one on the right side of the barrel ( [2 ) which should be 2nd quarter of 1952. On the right front trigger guard is an incomplete mark which might be ( [2] ) which may indicate 1st quarter of 1952.

By these two clues I think yours was made in early 1952.

I cannot yet decipher the rest of the marks. Thanks for sending them along... I will add them to my collection of FN HP marks and hope to decode them one day!

It looks to be in really good shape.
What are you intentions for this pistol? If it is to be a shooter, you should/need to replace all of the springs, especially the sear spring. You also should replace the recoil spring guide rod with a new one.

Cheers,

Tim

tim what is something like this worthany ideas ?

·
Registered
35 Posts
It's really hard to say, other than "whatever someone is willing to pay" for it.
They are not particularly rare or hard to find.
$400 - $900 ??? The market may indicate otherwise *.

The internal extractor is hard to find. The best one I've found (Jack First Gun Parts - new production) costs $100. A set of springs and other replaceable parts would be another $100 plus. All other parts are fairly available.

Last summer I paid $600 for a 1950 High Power. I still think it was too much but I was able to buy it in person since the seller was local. I'm cheap so I'd have been really pleased to get it for $400... I put a couple hundred in it to update things and make it safe, so now it's a pretty nice modernized $800 shooter, for me.

Remember... this is a 70 year old pistol. There are things that must be replaced to make it a safe shooter.

Cheers,

Tim

*For many reasons, I think the current High Power market is over-inflated.
I only buy High Powers to collect and shoot them, never to sell or trade.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's really hard to say, other than "whatever someone is willing to pay" for it.
They are not particularly rare or hard to find.
$400 - $900 ??? The market may indicate otherwise *.

The internal extractor is hard to find. The best one I've found (Jack First Gun Parts - new production) costs $100. A set of springs and other replaceable parts would be another $100 plus. All other parts are fairly available.

Last summer I paid $600 for a 1950 High Power. I still think it was too much but I was able to buy it in person since the seller was local. I'm cheap so I'd have been really pleased to get it for $400... I put a couple hundred in it to update things and make it safe, so now it's a pretty nice modernized $800 shooter, for me.

Remember... this is a 70 year old pistol. There are things that must be replaced to make it a safe shooter.

Cheers,

Tim

*For many reasons, I think the current High Power market is over-inflated.
I only buy High Powers to collect and shoot them, never to sell or trade.
for sure going to clean it up and start getting parts for it to be a shooter. i own a lawn business and traded yard work for it so i can say i got it reallly cheap

·
Registered
35 Posts
for sure going to clean it up and start getting parts for it to be a shooter. i own a lawn business and traded yard work for it so i can say i got it reallly cheap
Nice!!!

I sent mine in to BHSS because the previous owner put the trigger pin in backwards. I also had the SFS Kit installed and they did all the work. I nearly had them install night sights but remembered it was just gonna be a fun range gun at the last minute.

Future upgrades will include the new trigger assembly because it's really nice.

If you are able to measure the trigger pull, it should not be under 4.5 - 4#s. An older HP measured 2#s and exhibited hammer follow. Replacing the WWll sear spring corrected that. Also, you will want to replace the old recoil spring guide rod. This is a part which is intended to be replaced. I put in the BHSS buffered guide rod and it works perfectly in my 1950.

All the parts you need are available from BHSS. Proper tool sets if you need them, too. Great guys and willing to answer any questions you might have.

Great trade!

Cheers,

Tim

HP 1950 left side.jpg

HP 1950 right side.jpg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts