FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this just someting to think about, you should always have 2 companions with your fn or any other personal defense firearm,first a charged cell phone(a call to the police should be your first action,or a call to a lawer if god forbid you did have to use your marksmanship skills and a call to the wife may be nice to let her know you will be late to dinner.)second companion is a good pocket knife, i find that a cold steel voyager or a spyderco native are good. both run about $55.

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Yes - I ALWAYS carry my cell now - I started about a year ago. If something happens, you will need it.

As for a knife - it is small, but I love my Leatherman Micra. It has everything on it I need. And it is so small that I can carry it in work clothes.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
+1 on the cell phone. The pocket knife is very handy as well, especially if you had to cut your way out of a seat belt or something.

This may be over the top, but I keep military trauma bandages (thanks Uncle Don Rumsfeld!) and a tourniquet (very last resort) in my truck first aid kit (probably not practical to carry on your person everyday). A shooting victim may need more than my T-shirt to keep from bleeding out, not to mention car crash victims. Hope I never have to use them.

·
Registered
873 Posts
What is this "cell phone" you speak of?

:lol:

Never had one, never will.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
For some reason that post reminds me of the scene in back to the future 2 where Marty McFly goes into the store and the kids are trying to figure out how to use the video game with the six shooters. Future Kids - "You have to use your hands? That's like a baby's toy!".

Sad how reliant the current generation is on wireless communication devices. Texting is going to change our language as we know it.

·
Administrator
11,087 Posts
rjfjuliano said:
this just someting to think about, you should always have 2 companions with your fn or any other personal defense firearm,first a charged cell phone(a call to the police should be your first action,or a call to a lawer if god forbid you did have to use your marksmanship skills and a call to the wife may be nice to let her know you will be late to dinner.)second companion is a good pocket knife, i find that a cold steel voyager or a spyderco native are good. both run about $55.
If I have to reach for something its not going to be my cellphone.

If I have to call 911 then I have exhausted all options, including retreating - not that it is required in Florida to retreat as we have a stand your ground law. I would reach for my firearm first, then the cellphone.

Of course we are talking about a life and death situation and not some other piddly assed **** happening, and noting that this is posted on a firearms forum I will assume that your meaning is 'the **** is hitting or has already hit the fan'.

I can call my wife and lawyer from the police station but I won't be calling anyone from the morgue.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hksd9 i would like to ask you how many times have you been involved in a shooting? i understand if you do not want to answer, outside of my time in the gulf war and somalia, i have been involed in 1 shooting in phx.az. about 8 years ago 3 gangbangers and me, i was on the job wearing a vest took a 45 slug (165gr fed. hydro-shok)dead center to the chest. my radio was put out of action in the fall cell phones (my call, and passerby calls) saved me.as for the bangers 2 got away more likely to mexico one did not. it is something i hope people do not have to go though but mankind being what it is some will.

·
Administrator
11,087 Posts
rjfjuliano said:
hksd9 i would like to ask you how many times have you been involved in a shooting? i understand if you do not want to answer, outside of my time in the gulf war and somalia, i have been involed in 1 shooting in phx.az. about 8 years ago 3 gangbangers and me, i was on the job wearing a vest took a 45 slug (165gr fed. hydro-shok)dead center to the chest. my radio was put out of action in the fall cell phones (my call, and passerby calls) saved me.as for the bangers 2 got away more likely to mexico one did not. it is something i hope people do not have to go though but mankind being what it is some will.
I have spent 20 years in the military, participated in 2 wars and 4 campaigns, most of it in the intelligence field and I can honestly say that I have NEVER been involved in a shooting in my entire life. I have come close several times and only quick wits and shear audicity prevented me from taking anothers life - or having my life taken from me - that and the grace of God.

Asked more than once why I did not carry a firearm at all times, I replied that it had to do with the activities that I was involved with and the fact that not all situations require the need or use of a firearm. Sometimes a firearm can attract undue attention when not needed.

I have great empathy for you for being forced to do the right thing. While it is always preferable to avoid a shooting incident at all costs, sometimes one is left with no choice and the outcome can be devestating for all involved - including family and friends.

I know many others that have served in the military and have done additional duties with law enforcement or other federal activities and there are some that have gone more than 35 years to retirement without ever having to face a similar situation that you had to, or even draw their firearm for self protection.

It was fortunate that you did have a cell phone with you and that you were able to call for additional help after the fact. Every life and death situation has to be evaluated on the spot.

Its easy to say in an online forum that I would do something this way or that way but the reality of a life and death situation can not be adequately examined here.

I took your post to mean that you should always try to contact the authorites prior to taking steps to protect your life and not as a 'thank God that I did have it with me' type of thing. I appologize for that misconception.

Not being involved in street level law enforcement and thus not being able to speak on these terms, my situation varied from the norm as far as personal protection was concerned.

However, if the situation arises that I feel that I need to call 911 than that situation has already elevated itself to near or at near life or death and I will take the necessary action to protect myself and my family or any other suffering from a forcible felony. When someone is threatening me, I am thinking of how to protect myself, not calling 911 in the hopes that the situation will remain stable for the entire time that it takes LE to arrive on the scene.

I will use all necessary force.

Thank you for your service to our great Country and your additional service in LE.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I totally agree with rjfjuliano. If you have no way to communicate immediately you are screwed. One thing I learned "over there" is you always need a way to call for QRF, air support, medevac, or whoever will come to your aid when the need arises. It's no different in a civilian/law enforcement shooting situation. However, you have to eliminate the threat first if you can. In Artillery we call that concept, "shoot, move, communicate".

1 - 13 of 13 Posts