FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was speaking with one of the FN reps yesterday regarding an unrelated topic concerning the SCAR, and he happened to mention that the Marines were looking at it for quite some time. Well, he followed up by saying that they had actually issued a solicitation and subsequently ended up awarding a contract to FN for the SCAR-L and SCAR-H models. I have no idea how many rifles they want or what they're intending to replace with them. Can anyone confirm this? Out of respect for the rep, I'll keep his name off here. However, I've gotten nothing but credible info from him in the past, so that alone kind of leads me to believe there is some truth to this statement. If anyone has any info regarding this, or would like to share anything, please feel free. I'm not trying to stir up the rumor mill, but I thought you guys might find this a bit interesting.

Thanks,

Tspeis

Edit to add: This was not for the IAR trials. FN did submit a variation of the SCAR for that, but this was a seperate solicitation.

·
Registered
114 Posts
i doubt that the purchase would be anything more than a small testbatch for some purpose or another.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
The Marines at YPG have been playing with these for awhile. Although it's never a sure thing, the Marine Corp, as I understand it, has been working on this platform since the inception of MARSOC.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I wouldn't jump for joy yet.

The Marines also purchased a fairly sized sample of HK MP7s awhile back for testing. They do these things from time-to-time and it alone is no real indication about whether they will or will not adopt the rifle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey Devil Doc,
I might have to transfer back to the green side if I can get a SCAR out of it! I agree with your assumption as well. MARSOC will hopefully be instrumental in keeping the rest of the Corps in the technology loop from now on and keep the Vietnam era gear in the surplus stores.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I like the idea another member here said that made alot of sence, or should I say CENTS.

Buy a SCAR-L when they come out and because they have 82% the same parts as the SCAR-H, just buy the additional 18% parts and you could switch out and have a 7.62. Fun for the hole family!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I don't think you will be able to change a SCAR-L to a 7.62. You will however be able to swap barrels in the SCAR-Heavy from 7.62mm NATO to 7.62x39mm, and use AK mags! That will definitely be an economic shooter. I just wonder what the retail price of the civilian SCAR's will be.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts