FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So - how effective is the factory muzzle brake/ flash hider that came with my SCAR 17s?

Reason I ask, is because I would love to add a 13/16 x 16 TPI threaded one so I can spin on a solvent trap without disassembly, something like one of these

https://cadizgunworks.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=18_28&product_id=171

Products

BUT....I do love the way my SCAR fires now, and I've fired some SCARs with different muzzle brakes/ flash hiders that seemed to have much more recoil than mine.

Even looked at adding 13/16-16 threads to the factory unit, but not sure how that would work out. Might consider using a 3/4 NPT adapter like this as the locknut for the factory muzzle brake, but not sure if a 3/4 NPT thread would fit over it.

Solvent Trap Adapters for 3/4 NPT (Napa 4003 / Wix 24003 Filter) | gunthreadadapters.com

Anyone have any experience or feedback?

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Solvent-trap (IMO) = you are super lazy to clean your barrel -or- you have other intentions to use as a makeshift suppressor = KNOWINGLY POSSESS OR MANUFACTURE:
18 USC § 922(k), (o) & (v); 26 USC § 5861. Punishable by up to 5 or 10 years imprisonment, depending upon specific violation.

Just passing along some sage advice here - steer clear of anything for a solvent trap - why chance ruining your barrel (more so on a SCAR 16/17)
Just buy a decent reputable brake or muzzle device - if you can spend up to 2300 bucks for a rifle my guess you can afford quality

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jaflowers - is the PWS brake the one that comes stock on the SCAR?

Bayonet14 - appreciate the advice. Not looking to commit any thoughtcrimes right now, or ruin the barrel of my new SCAR. I bought it as my go to SHTF gun, so I am just trying to make sure I am prepared for any eventuality. Like an extremely dirty barrel, in an extreme end of the world scenario. I would have no use for a makeshift suppressor as long as there is still rule of law.

Farmerted, that's funny right there. I guess I can understand your caution. If thinking, talking and speculating become criminalized, then I am well and truly f*cked, because what I've posted here is probably the LEAST of my worries.

Just looking to see how some of the options out there perform compared to the stocker with regard to muzzle brake effectiveness. Nothing more.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Almost all the members on this board are law abiding citizens without taking any gray area risks. With that many of us went through the NFA process of legally obtaining a suppressor. Since that is the case most of the members are running either stock PWS Brakes, AAC miter mounts, AAC flashhider or brakeout 1.0/2.0, surefire or Silencerco trifecta mounts. Your not going to get much input on brakes that are designed around a external thread to slap a 'solvent trap' on it. If you really want to be prepared for a SHTF scenario I would invest in a quality 30cal suppressor. Strapping a piece of potmetal on a 30cal would only last a few rounds before it exploded anyway

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Vertigosol - thanks for the open and honest information. That was what I was looking for and what I needed to know. Fairly new to the gun world and still learning. Sounds like the "gray area" is a good one to avoid, but let's face it - if I had complete faith in rule of law and it's enforcement anyway, what would I need with a SHTF gun, right?

How do the aftermarket brakes/ flash hiders work compared to the PWS? Like I said before, I like the way the stock unit minimizes recoil and really don't want to give that up. In fact, if one of the units you mentioned will improve on the factory offering with regard to recoil reduction, that's the road I would like to go down.

Any feedback on the efficacy of the muzzle brake function on the AAC Blackout, Brakeout or Silencerco Trifecta products? The ability to add a suppressor (yes, I mean legally lol) should the need arise is a nice bonus. Is the suppressor thread pitch and size standardized like the 5/8-24 thread pitch on the barrels of a 7.62? Or is each mfg. proprietary?

Also, am giving too much credit to the muzzle brakes performance, and would I do better to look at an aftermarket stock like the Magpul for recoil reduction?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts