FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
I have a DSA SA58 Standard. Not an actual FN. It's a great gun.

TA

·
Registered
96 Posts
I do It's a complete L1A1 all inch biult on a Imble type3 reciever.

not a century inch/metric R1A1 POS that folks confuse true L1A1's with being inch pattern and all

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have one of the century inch metric POS and I resemble that remark. I had trouble with mine, it actually took a while to get it to run right. But I love that rifle and have had it about ten years, I plan on keeping it the rest of my life. Century put it (warts and all) into my price range, at the time there was no alternative. Now I am very happy with it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
inch/metric combos drive folke a little crazy at first. On the FAL files forum they refere to the Century assemblers as pissed off drunk monkeys. I have seen alot go through the shop in the past and what you went through is the norm. They are affordable, get you in the door. A little work on your part usauly makes them good rifles. The thing that drives newbies crazy is the combo inch/metric when they try to get parts. Century comes up lacking in support sometimes. DSA is your friend for parts and help. Mine up until the last trip to the range worked fine. It's surplus origins started acting up. My trigger (not hammer) return spring in the grip got some crap into it and started not returning after every 3rd pull. very aggravating since it has never acted up before and I have had it since around 92.

How about a pic?

·
Registered
178 Posts
I've got a Century FrankenFAL that looks to be in good shape aside from furniture that would look more appropriate on a cheap water gun. Haven't had a chance to fire it yet though, picked it up a couple weeks back.

·
Registered
980 Posts

Here is a picture of my FAL, you may recognize some of its younger relatives. The great thing about a FAL is that it is very easy to work on and customize. The rifle now sports a picitinny rail, square trigger guard, ported barrel, and a bipod that collapses into the hand-guard.
(That bipod, in retrospect, was a bad idea. It looks cool but it weights about three pounds and is actually detrimental to accuracy when deployed!)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Phelan said:
I've got a Century FrankenFAL that looks to be in good shape aside from furniture that would look more appropriate on a cheap water gun. Haven't had a chance to fire it yet though, picked it up a couple weeks back.
Shot Gun News just did a two part series on building an FAL on a DSA reciever and a SGN/Sarco prts kit. It had alot of good info about setting them up including the very important headspacing something that century has issues with. Alot of the info in the article I have learned by default with folkes bringing them into the shop I used to work at PT, when they don't go bang.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've shot Pazer's FAL, and all I can say is "WoW."

I've never been a big fan of .30 caliber battle rifles because of the recoil, however the FAL makes it a moot point.

If I didn't have a sick kiddo, and a new one, I'd definately be buying one like Panzer's... :)

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts

TA

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
It's a DSA heavy duty mount.

I like it fine, as well as the scope. I've only shot it out to 200 yds so far. The next time I take it out I'll try it at 300. That's as far as I expect to shoot it. It needs a new trigger BAD.

I was really surprised at the accuarcy difference between match ammo and the surplus. It doesn't like surplus at all. No failures, just a big difference in the size of the groups.

TA

1 - 20 of 125 Posts