FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
bk911-welcome to the forum and beautiful FAL you have there. I wish I could help but I can't. If you can be patient you get some good answers here regarding your questions. Again, welcome!

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
Looks like an Imbel receiver. They are excellent receivers, by the way, just paid a premium for a NOS recently, Can't tell from the pictures if it's an Imbel on Imbel build though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, for the info. Is a pre-ban more valuable today? How can I tell if it's a metric or standard?

·
Registered
25,418 Posts
Pre-ban ('94) weapons command a premium. Always have, since the '94 AWB.

Easy way to check metric or inch is to run your finger up the forward wall of the magazine well. If it has a small dome shape cut, it's metric (which yours is). If the cut is wide and resembles a rectangle, it's inch pattern cut for the L1A1 type mags.

-SS

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
What Sarge said.

This gun was comprised primarily of IMBEL receiver and surplus Austrian STG58 parts kits. It's what the FAL people call a frankenstein gun. If well put together, then it's no difference from all factory guns from FN or IMBEL (aka Springfield Armory SAR-48 pre-ban or SAR-4800 post ban with the thumbhole). It simply doesn't have the pedigree of an original factory gun.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
As far as value goes, probably not much. For example, I saw a SAR-48 for $2900. A SAR-4800 for $1700. A DS Arms FAL (either part kits or all-American made) run around $1500.

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
The biggest thing for STG frankenbuilds is serial #s. If the lower, bolt carrier, bolt, and barrel have matching serial #s, it will command more value. Not sure how much will take a hit because of the chopped barrel.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Pac West imported upper. They sold for $200 back then.

StG 58 parts kit. $125-$250 back then

Muzzle threads cut off to conform to the AWB that was in place back then.

-SS
There are no cheap parts sets and receivers any more. Enterprise arms receivers now sell for $499.00 and I would rather have an Imbel. I am not sure about value of a parts set now a days since I don't recall any for sale. Cut barrel will effect value but still a nice gun.

·
Registered
25,418 Posts
There are no cheap parts sets and receivers any more. Enterprise arms receivers now sell for $499.00 and I would rather have an Imbel. I am not sure about value of a parts set now a days since I don't recall any for sale. Cut barrel will effect value but still a nice gun.
And because of this, I would suggest stepping into the 21st Century and purchasing a SCAR 17S, as it trumps the antiquated FAL in all areas.

-SS

·
Registered
25,418 Posts
They'll never get close enough, with the SCAR.

The HB... well... it's a slob so I can see why it would have to serve double duty as a club. :?

One more for the SCAR.

-SS

·
Registered
409 Posts
And because of this, I would suggest stepping into the 21st Century and purchasing a SCAR 17S, as it trumps the antiquated FAL in all areas.

-SS
You are joking right? I have owned multiple SCARs for years now, and said many times how I think it is the best battle rifle ever designed. This thread was not about how great the SCAR is, it is about the OPs FAL.

·
Registered
600 Posts

-SS
Say it ain't soooo!! I just love antiques Hell I think I'm probably one myself. The old factory produced Belgian fals are sexy especially the type II receiver fals.
Change is hard too, but I'm willing to try out a scar-17.

·
Registered
25,418 Posts
You are joking right? I have owned multiple SCARs for years now, and said many times how I think it is the best battle rifle ever designed. This thread was not about how great the SCAR is, it is about the OPs FAL.
Nope, no joke. The omission of a smiley emoticon in my post indicates the lack of levity present.

-SS

1 - 20 of 21 Posts