FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. Last fall I bought a brand new FN FNX 45 ACP. I absolutely love this pistol. So far, I got about 750 rounds through it. However, I got one gripe with the pistol and it's the fact that the magazines stick when I go to drop a mag. I hit the mag release and the magazine drops down about an inch or so before stopping. Anyone here have any idea on what is causing this problem? I'm spooked about calling FN customer service as I've heard and read from others that they ain't the nicest people to deal with. Is that true as well? I paid over $1100 for this pistol brand new and would think this pistol would run flawless, especially not have mags hang up.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Have you inspected the inside of the pistol for abnormal wear, warped plastic or wear spots on the external finish of the magazines? Do you clean the pistol well for the magazine? Do you lubricate the magazines (too prevent rusting) or wax the painted finish?

·
Registered
932 Posts
Hello everyone. Last fall I bought a brand new FN FNX 45 ACP. I absolutely love this pistol. So far, I got about 750 rounds through it. However, I got one gripe with the pistol and it's the fact that the magazines stick when I go to drop a mag. I hit the mag release and the magazine drops down about an inch or so before stopping. Anyone here have any idea on what is causing this problem? I'm spooked about calling FN customer service as I've heard and read from others that they ain't the nicest people to deal with. Is that true as well? I paid over $1100 for this pistol brand new and would think this pistol would run flawless, especially not have mags hang up.
It is a known problem. It has been discussed here before. I just deal with it. I have (1) FNX 45 stainless that does it on certain mags but my FDE Tacticals (2) do not. You might be able to search here for an answer.
You paid $1,100, I hope that is a Tactical?

·
Registered
221 Posts
It is a known problem. It has been discussed here before. I just deal with it. I have (1) FNX 45 stainless that does it on certain mags but my FDE Tacticals (2) do not. You might be able to search here for an answer.
You paid $1,100, I hope that is a Tactical?
If I had to deal with it then I'd return that $1000 pistol so fast their inventory computer would explode. A $300 handgun doesn't do things like this.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Its amazing how everyone on this forum hates hk which nobody has issues with and will defend fn to the end or earth. The magazine sticks on a 1000 dollar pistol you need to get a belt sander and sand the grip off it will work then. The gun stove pipes remove the recoil spring and put a banana in its place it will work fine. Dude where has logic gone? Nothing it tacticool enough for me to risk my life of a poorly designed weapon. I have a fnx45t and it sticks the same way everyone complains about. My buddy has two usp45s and the drop mags free in damn near every position possible. Actually now that I think of so do his glocks.......

·
Registered
2 Posts
Picked up a new FNX 45 tactical yesterday, brought it home and cleaned it then noticed that none of the three supplied mags would drop free when tested. I also found it extremely
difficult to press the slide lock lever to return the slide forward. Anyone have this issue with the slide lock? Thanks!

·
Registered
480 Posts
I have an FNX-45 Tactical that has no issues and all magazines eject freely with decent force but I have performed magazine maintenance per the owner's manual. Note I perform the same maintenance on all metal magazines regardless of manufacturer.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Highflyer, the springs are very stiff and with use the slide lock levers will be easier to use. If you work the slide manually it will break-in and set the springs faster. Note: If you pull back on the slide you will not have to use the levers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a brand new standard .45 and my mags also stick a bit. I'm not that concerned about it right now honestly. I only have 100 rounds through it at this point.

As far as the slide stop goes. I found out with mine it releases just fine with a loaded mag, with an empty mag not so much. So I'm assuming it must be how the mags function with the stop mechanism. So a loaded mag shouldn't give you any issues with the release. Again like was mentioned it could be just a break in thing.

·
Registered
932 Posts
We have to remember that the small slide lock levers are just that, slide locks. I believe that the gun is designed to use the sling shot method to chamber a round (please forgive me if the term is wrong). The glocks, which I'm issued one, has a small slide lock because it is designed to be chambered using the sling shot method, grabbing the slide (which is open) and racking it to chamber the round with more uummfff, not by way od depressing the slide lock.

I hope I explained it correctly. I know what I want to say but.....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Its amazing how everyone on this forum hates hk which nobody has issues with and will defend fn to the end or earth. The magazine sticks on a 1000 dollar pistol you need to get a belt sander and sand the grip off it will work then. The gun stove pipes remove the recoil spring and put a banana in its place it will work fine. Dude where has logic gone? Nothing it tacticool enough for me to risk my life of a poorly designed weapon. I have a fnx45t and it sticks the same way everyone complains about. My buddy has two usp45s and the drop mags free in damn near every position possible. Actually now that I think of so do his glocks.......

I have the same problem, it didnt rear its ugly head untill around the 800 round mark. It is very annoying and shouldnt happen on a 1100 dollar pistol. Also the the little lip on the magazine gets caught on all my nylon magazine holders and wears grooves in my kydex holders.

Up till the 800 round mark i loved this gun now its just sits in the safe i never get it out anymore. Great gun in theory sucks in practicality

·
Registered
14 Posts
I spoke with FN about this at Shot Show, and made arrangements to send mine in with the mags to get it corrected. They were very accommodating about it, I suggest you give them a call and do the same.

·
Registered
3 Posts
FNH Didn't fix it.

I spoke with FN about this at Shot Show, and made arrangements to send mine in with the mags to get it corrected. They were very accommodating about it, I suggest you give them a call and do the same.
I sent mine in once for this issue. And they sent it back and I didn't notice any difference than before. Mags stuck just like before.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just bought an FNX 45 SS. I'm also having issues with the mags dropping. They slide in perfect, but when i go to hit the mag release it's almost like it's sticking. It may drop out an inch or so, and then it just slowly falls out. I've read where the mag release needs to be filed down to correct the mags going IN...but will this also affect the mags going OUT?

·
Registered
120 Posts
If you need your magazines to drop out of the pistol then they should do so and IMO, you all have valid complaints. Two of my magazines will drop but the third won't. I believe the problem lies with the manufacturer being unable to consistently control their magazine's dimensions. I have just learned to live with it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ihad this exact problem on my new FNX 45. And I fixed mine by pullin out the magazine release button and actually grinding down the edges. The problem is either the polymer frame was made to small or the release was made to big. Because the where you actually push with your finger doesn't fit.

So so basically pull it out and shape the edges with a grinder. Mine works perfect now

·
Banned
119 Posts
You're correct, glocks dump mags no problem. But if memory serves, glock Gen 4's had thousands upon thousands of pistols with major extractor problems spraying shooters in the face with brass to the point glock had to completely re-fabricate new extractors. If memory serves, I was one of those thousand lucky customers. Moral of the story, **** happens........no gun is infallible.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts