FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just asked this quesiton on calguns but wanted to see if anyone on here had any input as well.

My question is... Looking at the FNH SLP 18" version I've seen two different setups, I've noticed that some SLP 18" versions have longer barrels then others. Do the older SLP's have true 18" barrels while the newer SLP's have 18.5" barrels? I'd like to know when they started doing this and why? Any info on this would be great!

Example..

VS.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, I called FN direct. Customer service had no clue what I was talking about, they understood the quetion but had no answer.

How can I be the only guy that has noticed this 1/2" difference?

This has struck my interest now..

Anybody and everybody that owns a FN SLP 18" please post a picture here. Maybe we can norrow it down to a production date.

·
Registered
41 Posts
It looks more like the mag tube is about a 1/2" shorter than the barrel on the bottom pics.

Either way I wouldn't worry about that too much. I plan on picking one up soon and I'll let you know what it looks like.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
AK-Joe said:
It looks more like the mag tube is about a 1/2" shorter than the barrel on the bottom pics.

Either way I wouldn't worry about that too much. I plan on picking one up soon and I'll let you know what it looks like.

As for the 1/2", it's not bothersome but rather a simple observation. They obviously made the change for a reason, my question is why? Is the 1/2" difference to distinguish the the imported FN's from the non imported FN's? Ok, if that's true then did they change anything else on the non imports?

I have no problem with the shotgun at all, just like to know everything about my weapon inside and out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
dasanii19
Picked up SLP 18" yesterday 4/10/08.
Nice ......... all I can tell you is that my mag tube is the 1/2" shorter version like your second pic.
When and why they changed ...who knows.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Chance1 said:
dasanii19
Picked up SLP 18" yesterday 4/10/08.
Nice ......... all I can tell you is that my mag tube is the 1/2" shorter version like your second pic.
When and why they changed ...who knows.
..... Nice

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just bought one new but it won't ship until tomorrow. In the pics it has the longer barrel and it is supposedly brand new from FN. No tellling why it's different but I kind of like it and it probably makes little or no difference.

I noticed the mounting rails on the forend of the SLP above... I would love to get a couple of those or better yet one of the tubes from FN with the rails on it. Anyone know if these can be purchased separately? I have only seen them on the tactical models with the pistol grip.

Found this pic on a website with language I didn't recognize... Very nice setup. Looks like an expensive sight though, maybe a holographic sight is overkill on a shotgun like this?

·
Registered
35 Posts
That Holographic sight that is on that shotgun in the picture is an Eotech. And it is a great sight for sure and I am sure that it would be great if you were shooting slugs. But it does seem a little much for a defensive gun to me too. I would much prefer a front sight with a tritium vial in it.

I do not really like anything that runs off of batteries on a defensive gun as I have batteries die. As far as the sling on that shotgun I could of a lot better ways to carry spare ammo myself.

I would also like to add a rail for a flashlight on my shottie as even though they do take batteries white light is cool when it is dark

Congratulations on your new gun ScatterG :? May it bring you many years of service and anjoyment

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
i like it but the eotech sight is a bit much for me but w/e floats ur boat :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
rspaulding said:
That Holographic sight that is on that shotgun in the picture is an Eotech. And it is a great sight for sure and I am sure that it would be great if you were shooting slugs. But it does seem a little much for a defensive gun to me too. I would much prefer a front sight with a tritium vial in it.

I do not really like anything that runs off of batteries on a defensive gun as I have batteries die. As far as the sling on that shotgun I could of a lot better ways to carry spare ammo myself.

I would also like to add a rail for a flashlight on my shottie as even though they do take batteries white light is cool when it is dark

Congratulations on your new gun ScatterG :? May it bring you many years of service and anjoyment

Thank you sir, I have a feeling that it will. I just got it today and damn, it is a beautiful thing. The first thing I noticed is how light, wieldy and naturally pointable it is. The finish is really nice and this gun just looks cool. It's going to look even better with some bells and whistles on it. Saturday I will get to try it out at the range, can't wait. Going to my in-laws place this weekend for 4th of July party and they have a nice chunk of land where I can really cut loose with this thing and see what it can do. :-x

I would also like to get a tritium front sight, ever have any luck finding one? Also, I got an email from a gentleman at FN who confirmed that the rail-tubes for the SLP's will be out in September. I will be ready to grab one when they are released. :)

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
Congrats again....Thats a really nice shotty you have there. I would like to have one...

·
Registered
3 Posts
iCeMaN said:
Congrats again....Thats a really nice shotty you have there. I would like to have one...
Thank you Iceman, I'll post the results from the range next week, hopefully all good news :?

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
Im sure....good luck and enjoy!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Nope no luck figuring out what night sight may work in the FN dovetail. It looks really close to a Remington dovetail but I am not sure I almost tempted to order one and just try it but hate to do that and it not work

·
Registered
2 Posts
Any chance that the top pic is of a gun with a 2 3/4" chamber and the later guns all come with a 3" chamber.

I am just guessing in the dark, as I am not aware of whether or not there ever was a 2 3/4" chambered gun.

I tried looking more closely at the top picture but when I enlarged it I still could not read what was written on the side where the lower pic shows 3" Magnum.

FWIW... :eek:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts