Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I just recently picked up a FN HP DA pistol. I love the HP standard and thought the Dual action/Single action would be as much fun. It is, once the mag disconnect safety is removed and things are smoothed out! I did not, however, realize what an obscure and hard to find pistol it is.
I picked up a couple of BDM 15 round magazines, but I would love to find some that were made for this specific gun. I believe the originals were made by Mecgar? Also I have been desperately searching for Recoil spring (with plastic guide), trigger springs and firing pin/pin springs, so I can wear mine out(yeah right!), and grips.
Does anyone know where parts for this gun can be found? I have contacted every member of the Herstal group with no luck, so far. I have also contacted Midwest Gun Works and several other obscure parts dealers around the US, as well as several local gunsmiths. No luck. I have a suspicion some parts, like sights, barrels etc. from other models are compatible , but can find no real information. I am tired of sending parts back and wasting shipping$
In browsing the web I have seen some pictures of previous year magazines for the FNP9 that look identical to the stock original Mag for my HP DA. Does anyone know if they are compatible?

Please help a new member :( Thanks Pics coming soon

·
Registered
48 Posts
the springs might be available through wolff springs...just google it...

·
Registered
6 Posts
The BDM and the FN DA mags are identical and interchangeable. I have both guns and mix and match the mags all the time. No problems.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I went and tried this with my various guns to be sure I got it right. I got a 10 round BDM marked magazine to go into a FN HP-DA but I had to slam it to make it lock. But I couldn't get a FN HP-DA 10 round mag to stay in the BDM.

I have no problem with the 15 round mags in either gun though (except I tried a ProMag in the BDM and it jammed the gun something fierce). ALWAYS get factory mags! And yes, I realize that is a HUGE problem as they're no longer being made for either gun. You really have to beat the Internet to death to find them, or buy extras that come with a gun like I did. I'm up to 7 of the suckers between my 3 guns- not bad the way things are. One clue is the factory mags always have the 5-10-15 round holes and will say either "Browning BDM"- or the other version has "9 MM LUGER" on them and "MADE IN USA" on the second line. ProMags have neither the numbered rounds holes or any inscription whatever. So if you're at a gun show these are clues to help you. Take your gun though.

No company currently sells new 15 round factory mags for these guns to my knowledge. Midwest Gun Works had factory 10 rounders for the BDM anyway and still might-I bought one from them just a few months ago. I did see 10 rounders for the HP-DA advertised on the Internet also. They aren't nearly as desirable as the 15 round mags of course, thus their availability.

Best regards,
Bill in Cleveland

·
Registered
55 Posts
parts for FN HP-DA and Browning BDA-9

Hey All,

I just recently picked up a FN HP DA pistol. I love the HP standard and thought the Dual action/Single action would be as much fun. It is, once the mag disconnect safety is removed and things are smoothed out! I did not, however, realize what an obscure and hard to find pistol it is.
I picked up a couple of BDM 15 round magazines, but I would love to find some that were made for this specific gun. I believe the originals were made by Mecgar? Also I have been desperately searching for Recoil spring (with plastic guide), trigger springs and firing pin/pin springs, so I can wear mine out(yeah right!), and grips.
Does anyone know where parts for this gun can be found? I have contacted every member of the Herstal group with no luck, so far. I have also contacted Midwest Gun Works and several other obscure parts dealers around the US, as well as several local gunsmiths. No luck. I have a suspicion some parts, like sights, barrels etc. from other models are compatible , but can find no real information. I am tired of sending parts back and wasting shipping$
In browsing the web I have seen some pictures of previous year magazines for the FNP9 that look identical to the stock original Mag for my HP DA. Does anyone know if they are compatible?

Please help a new member :( Thanks Pics coming soon
I found out this info later- maybe you can still use it or others who have these guns can who need parts. Contact Fortress Firearms, PO Box 888, Petersburg, WV 26847 or call up their website and send therm an email (sorry I can't leave this page to get it for you as I had enough trouble changing my defunct password and I'd have to sign in again if I left this page to Google it again). Their phone number is 304-257-1700. Anyway, they can get parts and can repair the guns. It stands to reason that parts are available from FN Herstal as the Finnish Defense Forces use these guns, but probably only a gunsmith can get them.

Best regards,
Bill in CLeveland

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.