FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one have and shoot the Fn hp-dac 9X19 ? I bought a used one about two years ago. Have not seen a lot of information on it. Is the hp-dac considered to be a high Power? or something else.

·
Registered
55 Posts
FN HP-DAc

Any one have and shoot the Fn hp-dac 9X19 ? I bought a used one about two years ago. Have not seen a lot of information on it. Is the hp-dac considered to be a high Power? or something else.
I have several of these guns- the FN HP-DA and DAO service pistols as well as a HP-DAc and a DAOc. They are not Hi-Powers but a new design and no parts from a Hi-Power fit them. I like them a lot. They were FN's attempt (with the Browning equivalent BDA-9 and BDAO-9, the latter of which I also possess an example) to interest the US law enforcement market in an update of the Hi-Power, but their marketing and PR sucked. They were made from 1983 to 1987 and then for some reason FN suspended production but started making them again from 1990 to about 2009. Is this any way to run a railroad? They could have made them successful if they hadn't suspended production but kept at it a little longer. They were FN's last all steel pistols besides the Hi-Power which continues in production and in my experience are totally reliable. Far as I know though, only the Finnish armed forces adopted them.

The HP-DAc and DAO-c are rare; only a few thousand were imported. They are a little heavy but still a good size to carry concealed and they have 10 round magazines.
The Browning service pistol edition strangely differs in that the DAO came with a 14 round magazine, not 15 like the HP-DAO (though a lot of the FN version were sold with 10 rounders which are the same mags as that of a Browning BDM and so are the 15 rounders which fit both), but the Browning BDAO-9 mag will not fit a HP-DAO; they do fit into a Browning BDM but will not lock in. I can't speak for the Browning BDA-9 as I don't have one of those but am assuming they are similar with the 14 round mag; I would be grateful if anyone having one would confirm or deny this.

People think that since they are no longer made they are a bad bet to own and shoot because parts cannot be obtained. However, there is a gunsmith who can get parts and works on them (makes sense as the Finnish armed forces certainly can)- he's a retired Marine armoror which lets you know he has connections; he is in Petersburg, WV. and his website is www.fortressfirearmsmanufacturing.com.

Hope this helps- I think you have a fine gun. You or anyone who has one of these guns and wants to compare notes can contact me direct at [email protected] as I don't always get to the gun websites regularly. I'm heavy into WW2 European theater research involving working on a couple manuscripts, one of which is supposed to be published very soon.

Best,
Bill in Cleveland

1 - 2 of 2 Posts