FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my Belgian FN Mauser 98 Sporter Deluxe in 30-06, gifted to me by my grandfather, partially in exchange for picking the lock to his safe that held it (along with 8 other rifles) which he had lost the keys to. It’s a relatively early serial# (3XXX) for the Deluxe Sporter and I’ve narrowed its manufacturing date to somewhere between 1950-1955, based off the markings on the receiver. It had obvious signs of wear and the stock was poorly waxed/finish had worn and had some pretty noticeable nicks and scratches. This was my first project on a gun, and I spent quite the number of hours and layers of skin cleaning all the parts as this gun had sat uncleaned for a while. Then spent many more hours on polishing the bolt assembly and the most on refinishing the stock. I went with a Minwax Dark Walnut oil based stain and polyurethane semi-gloss varnish. It is still not finished, as you can see from the taped up portions, it still needs a couple more clear coats/steel wool runs before it’ll be finished. I plan to reblue some of the parts like the floorplate, trigger guard, and trigger as they have some rust on them. Just wanted to put it out there because I was proud of it. I had a picatinny rail from EGW mounted by my local gunsmith and threw on a Vortex Crossfire II 2-7x32. My intent with this gun was to restore it, use it, and keep it for as long as possible; pass it on to my next generation. I’m not worried about devaluing. Let me know what you think of it.

Wood Air gun Trigger Shotgun Hardwood

Air gun Trigger Machine gun Wood Gun barrel

Air gun Trigger Wood Machine gun Shotgun

Bicycle part Musical instrument accessory Bicycle frame Rim Automotive tire

·
Registered
53 Posts
Beautiful gun!!! I have one of those! Dad got in the 1940's while stationed as Occupation Forces in Germany, sent it back to FN to convert it into a 270 and kept it for years. When the Navy "volunteered" me to Asmara, Ethiopia he gave it to me. All I had was the metal stuff, no stock or scope. The picture shows an Italian Walnut stock done in 1968, inlaid with ivory and ebony, engine turned bolt and magazine baseplate, and a modified bolt handle to clear the stock. It cost me....one Benjamin...to get all that done! I have no idea what it's worth today. NFS of course.

Creative arts Art Plant Wood Pattern

1 - 3 of 3 Posts