FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting a AR I just can't decide Colt m4 or the FN ar 15 carbine, any one have trigger time on a FN ar 15. I am leaning towards FN

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
Moved your thread to the Black Rifle room since we do not have a FN AR15 section yet and you'll be more likely to get replies here. :?

Reactions: Ferris2son

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
You can't go wrong with either. If I have to pick, I'd go with FN, simply because they are the current contracted provider for ARs to the military. Plus this is an FNH forum :icon_e_wink:

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Are you biased CPT? :biggrin:

You can't go wrong with either. If I have to pick, I'd go with FN, simply because they are the current contracted provider for ARs to the military. Plus this is an FNH forum :icon_e_wink:

Reactions: CPTdaz

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is why I'm asking on a FN forum, if I was leaning Colt I would go to a colt forum....lol. Not much out their about the FN AR 15 yet, but I think I can't go wrong with a FN

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Are you biased CPT? :biggrin:
You have no idea. If he had asked for my personal opinion I'd have told him to forget the AR and get a SCAR. But that wasn't OP's question so I just give him the closest thing.

Reactions: Spilz and Fnpurist

·
Registered
548 Posts
That is why I'm asking on a FN forum, if I was leaning Colt I would go to a colt forum....lol. Not much out their about the FN AR 15 yet, but I think I can't go wrong with a FN
You can't. Even places like Palmetto contract FN for their barrels and such. When i can afford one, it will be mine.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
While neither would be my first choice for an AR, between the two it would come down to price and availability. I was really excited when I heard about the FN AR15 coming out but VERY disappointed when I learned they don't have FN's cold hammer forged barrel. :-x

Reactions: P-Factor

·
Registered
787 Posts
colt LE6920 was cheaper than the FN
they are both mil spec.
i would get whatever is cheapest they are both exactly the same
one says colt one says FN

·
Registered
195 Posts
You can't go wrong with either, but in that range you can get an ar with more than a standard handguard. You can find a Daniel defense for just a little more. But between the two, FN!

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Toss a coin. About two months ago the FN would have the advantage in price but the Colt LE6920 had dropped in price so much that it's a bit cheaper now.

The Colt has more mil-spec parts if that matters to you. Specifically the FN has a commercial buffer tube and button rifled barrel. Some people thinks that mil spec buffer tube is stronger. I don't think so.

I consider the the button rifled chrome plated FN barrel is a bonus over the cheaper made hammer forged barrel. Oh yes, indeed, the hammer forging process is strictly economical.

·
Registered
368 Posts
While neither would be my first choice for an AR, between the two it would come down to price and availability. I was really excited when I heard about the FN AR15 coming out but VERY disappointed when I learned they don't have FN's cold hammer forged barrel. :-x
My LGS has a FN-15 carbine. $999, plus FN is doing $125 rebate… I almost bit, but held back for this exact reason and plus I have a SCAR.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I consider the the button rifled chrome plated FN barrel is a bonus over the cheaper made hammer forged barrel. Oh yes, indeed, the hammer forging process is strictly economical.
I'm calling BS. Oh Ill bet you if the FN15 came with a CHF barrel, they would not cost less, they would cost more. Do you really think BCM uses FN CHF barrels because they are "cheap"?

·
Registered
121 Posts
With the current $125 rebate, I went looking for a FN-15 several weeks ago. Found a brand-new in the box FN-15 carbine on Gunbroker for $874 and the rebate is on the way already. I've been out of town on business but finally took her out to the range today and I am very pleased. Factoring in the rebate, I feel like it was a great value for the investment.

·
Registered
195 Posts
They are certainley more desireable and have their advantages (supposedly longer barrel life) but they are cheaper to make. There aren't that many gunmakers in the world that invested in cold hammer forged barrel equipment. The cost is in the millions, but they do put out product more efficiently. Plus it's pretty popular. And to put things into perspective, a LOT of AKs use chf barrels... quality generally isn't priority when mass producing those. But that's not to say button rifling is bad (bcm filthy 14 comes to mind).

Disclaimer: my ar's all have DD chf barrels. A 16" and a 10.3 mk18. I also have an unbuilt 14.5 psa (fn) chf barreled upper gathering dust, so needless to say I prefer chf.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts