FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
FN Hi Power Date

I have an opportunity to purchase a like new FN Hi Power. I have a couple of Browning HP's, so I know how to date them by the serial number, but not the FN.
The first five digits are: 511MX. Although they are the same pistol, is the FN more rare or valuable than the Browning?
The guy wants $1,100.00 for it. You have to understand though that I live in Massachusetts, and it's rare to find any HI Power for sale. Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Your 511MX serial pistol was made in 2003.
The 511 prefix defines what model the weapon is. Have found this on another forum. Let me know if the features are on yours.
"The "511" prefix pistols have additional special features like a wider trigger, loaded-chamber indicator and external spring loaded "fast-eject" magazines."
Regards

·
Registered
287 Posts
Like Sonofglyndwr says, your Hi Power is a 2003 model,
If I recall correctly, the factory wide Hi Power triggers didn't appear until circa 2007.

Whilst the unwashed masses on this side of the Atlantic have habituated themselves to the Browning name brand, Browning is merely a distributor that FN appropriated from the Browning family around 1977. While Browning branded Hi powers have been importing FN Hi Powers under the Browning name since 1954, Browning does not make anything - it is an importer and distributor many diverse products from all over the world - including new Hi Powers to be distributed in North America.

A lot of enthusiasts prefer the FN branded Hi Powers. Some because FN is the actual maker, and some because they feel that the roll marks are nicer. Some because of what their newspaper horoscope told them. :p

As far as I know, FN Hi Powers haven't been imported by FN since about the time your pistol was built, because by doing so FN was in effect competing with its own subsidiary, Browning.
Disreputable sellers will sometimes try to dupe unwary buyers by asking more money for a "real Browning" - one with Browning roll marks - when one could argue that the FN pistol would hold that title.

I notice that the Hi Power you pictured has the flat plastic military grips. A lot of guys like those because they are rather thin and are perceived to feel better than the current curved plastic grips. While not exactly rare, the flat plastic grips are seen less often on the MK III based Hi Powers that the curved plastic. Does that pistol have a lanyard ring? Many of the Hi Powers with lanyard rings had the flat plastic grips, and I see that the wood grips have the lanyard ring notch.

Based on where you live, the price for that pistol is not outrageous.

Good Luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts