FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
FN PS90 Red Dot Sight

I was looking at the FN PS90 Red Dot sight and was wondering what you guys thought of it. Any idea on battery life?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I ran one for a little while. Recticule washes out like the original white ring. If you buy a factory sight, also buy one of these from M1BullPup | Peace Through Strength. For me, the turd in a tunnel view of the factory ring sights did not work well; so I went with a TROS mount and an Aimpoint M3 and could not be happier with an optic with no magnification.The TROS mount is a 30mm ring, which will allow the use of optics like the Leupold VX-R 1.25x-4x.
5.jpg DSCN1313.jpg

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
Yes, I looked thru one once - not thrilled with it. Just like the original white ringed sight - just with a bright green dot in the center. It washed out too easily. Black ringed sight is the best factory optic, IMHO.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are any of you guys using the FN PS90 Red Dot Sight and if so what do you think of it?

·
Vendor
3,283 Posts
I do,,,, and I like it. There is only 2 brightness intensity settings but for me it is what I settled on. I had 3 sites on mine before settling on this. It was a little difficult to sight in due to the dial & allen wrench set up but it was also cold outside here in MI when I finally dialed it in. FOR me it is low to the bore and the mount that comes with it was a deal for the money.
I did have 2 other big name optics on it and I was happy but in the end small is what I was after
. FN Red Dot 001.jpg FN Red Dot 003.jpg

Reactions: LESTER

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do,,,, and I like it. There is only 2 brightness intensity settings but for me it is what I settled on. I had 3 sites on mine before settling on this. It was a little difficult to sight in due to the dial & allen wrench set up but it was also cold outside here in MI when I finally dialed it in. FOR me it is low to the bore and the mount that comes with it was a deal for the money.
I did have 2 other big name optics on it and I was happy but in the end small is what I was after
. View attachment 22128 View attachment 22129

What size battery does it use and how long are they rated to last? The other option I was thinking about was an Aimpoint Comp M3. The small compact size of the FN Red Dot is appealing to me but wondered how it compares to the Aimpoint for what it is

·
Vendor
3,283 Posts
What size battery does it use and how long are they rated to last? The other option I was thinking about was an Aimpoint Comp M3. The small compact size of the FN Red Dot is appealing to me but wondered how it compares to the Aimpoint for what it is
CR2032 ( common )
I can't tell you how long ? I did do some cold weather shooting and it was down to 18 deg's and everything worked fine for the 2 1/2 to 4 hrs I was out there. That is a " good " sign since cold temps kill battery life. I also have left it on for 24 hrs .... a few times. ( just last night again ) .... LOL , when I went down to take a battery pic it was on from the pics I took yesterday ( above ). Still going ...... and it was on "high".

The manual makes no reference to estimated battery life.
This sight works as follows:
It has 3 positions ( off - AT - M )
The off is of course offm sliding the switch to the middle setting ( AT ) will turn the dot on and " automatically " control the intensity. Then sliding the dot to the FAR left ( M ) will manually set the intensity to full bright and will not be adjusted automatically.

Read below: I believe the FN is a C-more STS.
C-MORE Systems - STS

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How would you rate the FN PS90 Black Reticle sight in daylight and lowlight conditions? How does it compare to the Red Dot sight? Jut trying to see which is the better sight to use?

·
Vendor
3,283 Posts
Some other members will have to help here. I never had that, I did look into it but ..... i went the cheaper route. Not that I'm so thrifty that I couldn't fork over the $$$ I just liked the STS better from a looks standpoint.
There is a member/sponsor that has a amplifier for those also ( M1P90 ) he sells the REM T3 in different reticles I believe. I do like his stuff, just went another way.
Here is a link ( http://fnforum.net/forums/fn-ps90-accessories-mods/50793-fnh-usa-test-rem-t3b.html )

We need another member to help with this comparison. There are some guys with wayyyyy... more knowledge that me.

·
Registered
317 Posts
MJK1 try something for me in your cold weather shooting using the FN red dot. On the trijicons red dots, I have used 2 CR2016s instead of a single 2032 and this made the dot a little brighter and more stable, it is also supposed to help especially in cold weather. Thanks.

·
Vendor
5,593 Posts
The green dot fiber optic is good. It has the Ghost rings and the Green dot. It is Better than the White Ring Sight since it has the light collector on the top. It still needs the REM T3 in low light situations. I did find a good price for the Green Dot at Optics & Accessories | Sights | 22three. $62.50 Can you believe this low price????? All other web sites are selling it for over $200.00. For $62.50 It is worth a look. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Is this sight still being made? Everywhere I look it is out of stock. If anyone knows of a place to get one, PLEASE PM ME!!!!!!

thanks,

·
Registered
4 Posts
If the green dot is laser diode generated, it will always have cold weather warm-up issues. The way that the green light is generated is by using a diode that is actual red to illuminate a crystal which absorbs the red light and re-emits in the infrared spectrum. Then another crystal that absorbs in infrared and re-emits in green generates the final output. The infrared portion of the crystal array is the weakest link.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
If the green dot is laser diode generated, it will always have cold weather warm-up issues. The way that the green light is generated is by using a diode that is actual red to illuminate a crystal which absorbs the red light and re-emits in the infrared spectrum. Then another crystal that absorbs in infrared and re-emits in green generates the final output. The infrared portion of the crystal array is the weakest link.
The FNH Green Dot sight is fiber optic, and M1P90's REM T3 is an L.E.D.

·
Vendor
5,593 Posts
Yep! The Green Dot is powered by ambient light collected from the top of the Ring Sight. It travels thru a Fiber optic to illuminate the dot.
The Ghost ring is powered by ambient light collected from the front of the Ring Sight.
You still need the REM GD to illuminate the Green Dot in low light situations.
REM T3GD 002.jpg
Notice that there is a tritium to help illuminate the green dot in low light but it doesn't work that well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts