FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey FN Community,

I've been researching optics for my PS90 and my brain hurts. If I narrowed it down to either the...

FNH C-More Systems ARW4 Aluminum Red Dot Sight - $350
FNH C-More Systems ARW4 Aluminum Red Dot Sight: MGW

or

FNH PS90/P90 Green Dot Fiber-Optic Sight - $220
FNH PS90/P90 Green Dot Fiber-Optic Sight: MGW

...which one would you consider the better value buy? One is obviously more expensive than the other, but from a functional perspective, is the red dot better or worse?

Just as FYI - I know the aimpoint and eotech sights are always the most preferred, but the the price is always sky high (at least for me). I was thinking that these two FNH sights are not only cheaper, but they will also sit low as possible as well.

Looking forward to your insight,
Nick

·
Administrator
11,786 Posts
Hey FN Community,

I've been researching optics for my PS90 and my brain hurts. If I narrowed it down to either the...
NH C-More Systems ARW4 Aluminum Red Dot Sight - $350
FNH C-More Systems ARW4 Aluminum Red Dot Sight: MGW

or

FNH PS90/P90 Green Dot Fiber-Optic Sight - $220
FNH PS90/P90 Green Dot Fiber-Optic Sight: MGW

...which one would you consider the better value buy? One is obviously more expensive than the other, but from a functional perspective, is the red dot better or worse?

Just as FYI - I know the aimpoint and eotech sights are always the most preferred, but the the price is always sky high (at least for me). I was thinking that these two FNH sights are not only cheaper, but they will also sit low as possible as well.

Looking forward to your insight,
Nick

I have the C-More CWR and had it on my PS90 and found the sight to be highly usable with the exception of the loss of the cheek weld. I find the "cheek weld" really an over dramatized aspect unless you are doing long range shooting for hunting or target, or practice, which is not the purpose of the PS90. I did however switch back to the stock USSS sight for my PS90 SBR and am considering a REM T series for additional lighting. Considering that you are looking at the Gree Dot Sight, you do not have a Tri Rail so you will also need a rail for the sight to sit on. This will add a little elevation to the sight no matter which one you use but I think that TROS makes the lowest sitting rail for the PS90. But there ar all within 1/4 of an inch or less in height (just a visual guess as I have not measured them) so this is really a moot point when it comes to the loss of the cheek weld. The FN rail sits about 3/8 of an inch higher than the MPF. I have the FN rail that I just purchased for a unbelievable price, and I also have tried the MPF Technology economy rail. Both work fine. (I have a spare MPF rail if you are interested - PM me).

There is a thread on the Green Dot Sight that FN puts out. It offers a good write up and while you are at it, you may want to look at the REM T series to see if that will fit your needs.

As an addendum, remember that the sight already sits pretty high in relation to the line of the muzzle and additional height will mean that your POA is gong to be about 4 inches higher from the muzzle) using a rail mounted sight so you will have to accommodate this variable at different ranges once you get your firearm sighted in. The stock sight sits about 2 inches higher than the muzzle.

http://fnforum.net/forums/m1bullpup-com/22272-rem-t3-gd-green-dot-fiber-optic.html

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had no idea that if I went with the Green Dot that I would have to get another rail. I have the recent Standard PS90 which does have a top rail.

As for the FNH C-More ARW4 sight, I was attracted to it because I read that you would just have to remove the top rail to install it, and because of this it would sit lower than most other sights. I assumed this was true for the Green Dot as well.

Really glad I reach out to the community. Thanks HK SD9!

·
Premium Member
21,738 Posts
As for the FNH C-More ARW4 sight, I was attracted to it because I read that you would just have to remove the top rail to install it
It goes on top of the rail.

Reactions: tranick13

·
Administrator
11,786 Posts
I had no idea that if I went with the Green Dot that I would have to get another rail. I have the recent Standard PS90 which does have a top rail.

As for the FNH C-More ARW4 sight, I was attracted to it because I read that you would just have to remove the top rail to install it, and because of this it would sit lower than most other sights. I assumed this was true for the Green Dot as well.

Really glad I reach out to the community. Thanks HK SD9!
Before we go any further, what is the model of your PS90? If you have the current model with the integrated rail, you will not be able to use the Green Dot sight. Unless of course the rail is removable.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Before we go any further, what is the model of your PS90? If you have the current model with the integrated rail, you will not be able to use the Green Dot sight. Unless of course the rail is removable.
I have the current Standard model with the MIL-STD Picatinny rail that includes a set of integrated iron sights. So with this model the integrated rail is not removable, and I cannot buy the Green Dot Sight?

20130308_132103.jpg

And with the FN Red Dot Sight, I would need to go with something like a TROS mount if I wanted the sights to sit as low as possible? I could still install this FN Red Dot on top of the high sitting Standard
Picatinny rail right?

Sorry for all the questions, as I am obviously a PS90 newb. Thanks for your patience!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually the best one is neither but this one. Built for pa90 sits close to bore- reflex with adjustable setting. Same as I choose when I was in the market last year. If I've helped ill take a thumbs up!!

FNH USA - Distinct Advantage :: PS90® Red-Dot Sight
Man, I am confused... so there are two different type of Red Dots. The one I mentioned above (C-MORE) and this one:
PS90/P90 USG RED DOT SIGHT | Brownells

And out of the total of three being discussed, the PS90 Red-Dot Sight you recommended is the best.

Sooooo it must be this one that requires you to remove the standard picatinny rail for install. But I thought you couldn't remove this rail (per HK SD9's comment)???? :icon_crazy:

·
Administrator
11,786 Posts
I do not know whether the rail is removable or not that is why I posed the question to you.

To me, it looks like it is removable. If you can remove the rail, then you should be able to use the Green Dot. If you keep the rail on the firearm, then you can mount any sight that requires a rail. The FN Red dot is a integrated part of the rail from what I can see on the web site so that means the rail will have to be removed from the firearm for the new rail with sight to be mounted.

There are variations of the PS90 that DID NOT come with a rail and therefore an aftermarket rail had to be purchased to mount a railed site. Both of my PS90 were the old models that required that a aftermarket rail be purchased.

There was also the Tripple Rail model of the PS90.

And yes, there are many red dot sights that will fit on the PS90. FN makes theirs, C-More has one, and as you mentioned, the Eotech is another. So there are many different red dot sights that are compatible with the PS90.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, there is that one but he did mention that he was limited price wise.

Quality Tactical Gear, Tactical Accessories, Clothing & More | FNH USA eStore

Again though, this is dependent on the model that he has. I do not own one of the newer versions so I do not know if the rail is removable or not.
Isn't this the same one for $330?
FNH Red Dot Sight PS90 USG, P90 USG 3.5 MOA Aluminum Body 11010138

Seems like the FN C-More Red Dot Sight is the most expensive at $350. The second most expensive is the PS90 USG Red Dot at $330, and the least expensive is the FN Green Dot at $220.

I'm sure the pricing changes depending on whether each one requires a new / or lower sitting mount.

Also, thanks so much for the advice about the REM T3. I will definitely have to grab one no matter which I choose.

Hopefully my confusion will clear up soon.... Thanks again!

·
Administrator
11,786 Posts
Isn't this the same one for $330?
FNH Red Dot Sight PS90 USG, P90 USG 3.5 MOA Aluminum Body 11010138

Seems like the FN C-More Red Dot Sight is the most expensive at $350. The second most expensive is the PS90 USG Red Dot at $330, and the least expensive is the FN Green Dot at $220.

I'm sure the pricing changes depending on whether each one requires a new / or lower sitting mount.

Also, thanks so much for the advice about the REM T3. I will definitely have to grab one no matter which I choose.

Hopefully my confusion will clear up soon.... Thanks again!
The only time you would need the REM is if you get the Green Dot, Black Reticuled, or White Ghost (least desirable) sight.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I do not know whether the rail is removable or not that is why I posed the question to you.

To me, it looks like it is removable. If you can remove the rail, then you should be able to use the Green Dot. If you keep the rail on the firearm, then you can mount any sight that requires a rail. The FN Red dot is a integrated part of the rail from what I can see on the web site so that means the rail will have to be removed from the firearm for the new rail with sight to be mounted.

There are variations of the PS90 that DID NOT come with a rail and therefore an aftermarket rail had to be purchased to mount a railed site. Both of my PS90 were the old models that required that a aftermarket rail be purchased.

There was also the Tripple Rail model of the PS90.

And yes, there are many red dot sights that will fit on the PS90. FN makes theirs, C-More has one, and as you mentioned, the Eotech is another. So there are many different red dot sights that are compatible with the PS90.
Okay so I've seemed to have figured it all out. I'm sure I caused a record number of facepalms with my naivety :th_bow:

Yes, the standard rail can definitely be removed (I just did it).

Sooo... if I am looking for 1) the best value sight specifically designed for the PS90, 2) a sight that does not require me to buy a new mount / REM T3, and 3) sits very low, the obvious choice would be the USG Red Dot (FNH Red Dot Sight PS90 USG, P90 USG 3.5 MOA Aluminum Body 11010138)

Wish I had the money for an Aimpoint Micro or Eotech, but this one seems to be the best bet for me (part of me thinks I should just shell out $400 for the Aimpoint PRO though since I'm already almost there by spending $330).

If anyone feels there are better options, and please feel free to talk me out of it. As always, I really respect the insight and opinions of the FN community.

Thanks for putting up with me guys.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I just installed my FN (c-more) red dot a couple days ago. I have not had a chance to shoot with it, so I can't give you my impressions yet. Quality seems to be top notch and I love the fact that it replaces the goofy standard rail on my PS90 with something that has a much lower profile. I wanted the black reticle but I couldn't justify spending that much on a sight.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just installed my FN (c-more) red dot a couple days ago. I have not had a chance to shoot with it, so I can't give you my impressions yet. Quality seems to be top notch and I love the fact that it replaces the goofy standard rail on my PS90 with something that has a much lower profile. I wanted the black reticle but I couldn't justify spending that much on a sight.

[/
QUOTE]

Awesome. Looks great! Excited to hear what you think about it.

I've seen a couple posters says it has a range of about 25 yards? I was kinda hoping for at least 50 yards, so definitely give us your feedback when you have the time.

·
Registered
368 Posts
^^ this. I did the same thing with my PS90 standard. Went with the FNH red dot (c-more). Standard rail comes out, and this one drops in. Make sure you have TWO course adjustment lugs in the box when you get it (mine where missing). I am not a fan of the single course adjust lug in the front (it is not as stable as it could be) but otherwise it is good.

I have shot mine out @50yrds with no problems. Sighted in, it is @2" low @ 20yrds, and zeroed @50. I really like it. It is just a rebranded C-more rail and sight, which is cheaper to buy through FNH as it comes complete with the rail, vice buying the rail/mount and sight separate (believe it or not).

·
Registered
8,536 Posts
U can remove rail, place in the same location of rail- u do loose top rail- but you would anyways with optic. Pick up side rails an put what ever you like on those.

·
Registered
219 Posts
My standard PS90 came with the rail, and I opted for a package deal that included the green dot sight. Reason I went with that option, is, the sight sits the lowest of almost all the options I've seen. White ring, black ring, and green dot, to me keep with the intended design of the PS90. Kind of, keeping the gun "stock as designed".

The lower the sight sits, the less POI shift at different distances. I know my 90 is 6" low at 7-10yds, 3-4 at 25, on at 50 and 2-4 high at 100 with the lowest possible sighting option. A side note, my green dot still shows, albeit dimly, in almost no light without the REM T3. The added light collector is better than the white or black sights. Nothing like a battery powered red dot, or if I added the REM to it though.

Gotta say, my second choice for sights on this rifle would be one of the others you are considering though!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts