FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a scar 16 and 17.
I also have7 SUREFIRE 60 round magazines for my 16.
I am told that the SCAR has a problem with them.

Is this true ?

Can anyone tell me anything ?

Even general information would be helpful !

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
1. You have a SCAR 16.
2. You have several Surefire 60 round mags for your SCAR 16.
3. You probably have some ammo.

You have a great opportunity to try them out and tell US about how well they work or don't work. Go shoot that thing!

·
Registered
289 Posts
My experience with them have been good so far. The few issues I have experienced have been with the last 2 rounds. When I leave the mag loaded too long, I notice the last two rounds give me a hard time feeding. It seems like the spring gets stuck. To prevent it I don't load it until the night before the range. This is for my M4 not my SCAR.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I've tried the Surefire 60rd mags in 3 different SCAR 16's, including a suppressed 16. Basically it didn't work worth a crap in any of the SCAR 16's, regular misfeeds at any and every round count.

The exact same Surefire 60rd mag has run flawlessly in every AR-15 I've tried it in, including ASAP round dumps.

My advice is obvious........ Save the Surfire 60's for the AR platform. I'm not expert enough to tell you exactly why it wouldn't work in the SCARS and did in the AR's, that's just what happened for me.................dj

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Guys, Keep the information coming !
I am thinking about the option of returning all 7!
I have shot them and they don't work worth a damn - in my SCAR 16.
If it was only me I would consider it he luck of the draw but I am thinking otherwise !

·
Registered
112 Posts
Older, first gens were problematic with SCARs. Two recently made ones (2012+) run flawlessly in my '16. What are the manufacture dates on yours (on the bags they came in)?

I've learned that when partially-loaded mags are dropped (in or out of the gun) the rounds can shift within the mag and render it goatfrakked. I therefore do not use them on duty, but I'll thrash them on the range.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just to add a few more data points: I have one older Surefire rebuilt 60 that does not run in my SCAR [works flawlessly in all my other M4's], but recently purchased 2 new 60 rounders and they have been 100% malf-free in over 600 rounds through my new SCAR [5 full loads each].

However, I do not partially top-off the magazines, and I do not shoot a few rounds, reload, then come back and try to finish off the partially loaded 60. Basically, I treat it as a lead-off magazine only. In my experience, this is also true with the Russian Quad-stacks. YMMV.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts