FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First let's see what my unmodified OEM FN Scar 17 lower with an empty 20 round FN Scar mag weighs (because a lower doesn't do you any good without a magazine) on my digital kitchen scale...
680 Grams or 1 pound 8.05 ounces
FN Lower Grams.jpg FN Lower Pounds and Ounces.jpg

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So by my scale which may not be exact but is probably close, my complete S.E.A.L. lower with MIAD grip (empty bottle), Geissele trigger, SCAR Optimized Alloy Magazine Release, Magpul Selector Levers is just under 5 extra ounces to get all of that and 5 additional rounds (less the ammo).

Or as I like to say, "About one extra small balloon"

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Nice work Mityno. Not too much of a difference on the scale. I haven't really noticed a difference with the rifle shouldered.

Reactions: mityno1

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I will say this, that MIAD is a heavy grip. I could probably save at least an ounce by swapping it with one of my lightweight AR-15 grips... because with a S.E.A.L. I can run any AR-15 grip I choose. I love the MIAD, the largest back strap fits my large hands much better than the OEM Scar grip and is worth the extra weight to me.

Reactions: Offroadie

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
Nice post!!!

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Oh yea, I forgot to do the 10 round PMAG on my complete S.E.A.L. (sorry I don't have a 10 round FN Scar mag to compare it to)...
740 Grams or 1 pound 10.15 ounces
SEAL 10rd PMAG grams.jpg SEAL 10rd PMAG pounds and ounces.jpg

I'm pretty sure that with a lighter grip, the S.E.A.L. and a 10 round PMAG is going to be right there with OEM FN lower and FN 20 round mag, and maybe even hanging close to the FN lower with an FN 10 round mag because an FN Scar 17 20 round mag weighs 255 grams or 9.0 ounces by my scale and a 20 round PMAG weighs 164 grams or 5.57 ounces. The 10 round PMAG weighs 109 grans or 3.85 ounces.

Reactions: Rypht

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just FYI, my HK-91/PTR-91 X-Drum weighs 971 grams or 2 pounds 2.2 ounces -empty.

That's a lot of balloons!

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice work Mityno. Not too much of a difference on the scale. I haven't really noticed a difference with the rifle shouldered.
I believe because the PMAG is lite-er and the MIAD is heavier, the extra 5 ounces probably moves the center of gravity of my Scar 17 to the rear maybe 1/4" if I had to guess. The S.E.A.L. definitely does not upset my Scar 17's excellent balance which makes the 5 ounce weight gain unnoticeable to me as well.

Did I say how much I love the MIAD grip? It really gives me a much more confident and controlling grip over my Scar reassuring me I am in command of it. I really can't ever go back to the OEM FN Scar grip now that I have experienced the MIAD. I never noticed how awful the FN Scar grip was before comparing it to the MIAD. The MIAD alone makes the S.E.A.L. worth the cost and now that I know that, I would buy an FN mag S.E.A.L. just to get a MIAD on my Scar 17 if I wanted to stay with FN mags, the MIAD is really that good on my Scar.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What kind of wood is that table made out of? Some type of Purple Heart wood??
It is ordinary 3/4" pine "prizewood" (plywood), probably B/C grade if I recall. I made it like that for a computer/electronics workbench many years ago. Some dark brown stain and a couple of coats of polyurethane. I think it would make a decent looking bar with the right trim.

·
Registered
367 Posts
First let's see what my unmodified OEM FN Scar 17 lower with an empty 20 round FN Scar mag weighs (because a lower doesn't do you any good without a magazine) on my digital kitchen scale...
...and what good is a magazine without any ammo? Thanks for the post and doing the work that many of us would only wonder about. Not sure that a couple ounces would ever make a difference in my decision to stay OEM or go SEAL.

·
Registered
27 Posts
How much difficulty did you have if any, installing the Griessel trigger mechanism?

I just purchase a Griessele for my 17 and was seriously looking at the Handl Defense magnesium lower. My understanding is that the Griessele needs to be modified to work in the Handl to make the swap. But if the Seal is a direct swap of parts unlike the Handl then it's a easy decision which one to go with seeing we're only talking about 4 onces by my understanding.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I put the Geissele trigger group in my new SEAL without modifying anything. A capture pin for the trigger group will make the job a lot easier. I cut a paper clip to size to use as a capture in for the trigger group. It worked.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
How much difficulty did you have if any, installing the Griessel trigger mechanism?

I just purchase a Griessele for my 17 and was seriously looking at the Handl Defense magnesium lower. My understanding is that the Griessele needs to be modified to work in the Handl to make the swap. But if the Seal is a direct swap of parts unlike the Handl then it's a easy decision which one to go with seeing we're only talking about 4 onces by my understanding.
Because I pre-ordered a complete S.E.A.L. lower and I waited patiently, enduring all the doubter and hater postings, free assembly was included by Stryker in addition to the free swag (only one shirt, one hat and one patch came in my box, no complaints tho, all nice stuff).

Yes, only 4 ounces more if you run the 20 round PMAGs. Closer to 5 ounces more (less the weight of the ammo) to run the 25 round PMAGs.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts