FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up a scar 20s chambered in 6.5 creed and am having multiple popped primers with two different kinds of ammo. I cleaned the rifle very well before taking it out. I fired s&b 140gr fmjs first with no issues for about 15 rounds and then started getting multiple popped primers. I also tried berger match 140gr with every shot doing the same. Has anyone had this issue before? I don't think the ammo im shooting is crazy hot or anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
16217109692124718033328353962812.jpg

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I recently picked up a scar 20s chambered in 6.5 creed and am having multiple popped primers with two different kinds of ammo. I cleaned the rifle very well before taking it out. I fired s&b 140gr fmjs first with no issues for about 15 rounds and then started getting multiple popped primers. I also tried berger match 140gr with every shot doing the same. Has anyone had this issue before? I don't think the ammo im shooting is crazy hot or anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. View attachment 144237 View attachment 144238 View attachment 144238
Also no issues with accuracy. Its shooting ~1 moa with berger ammo

·
Registered
918 Posts
The S&B strike looks severely smaller than the Lapua. Do you have more ammo that isn't Berger-loaded Lapua? That ammo may well be very hot

·
Registered
Scar 20s 6.5 Creedmoor Scar 17s
241 Posts
I recently picked up a scar 20s chambered in 6.5 creed and am having multiple popped primers with two different kinds of ammo. I cleaned the rifle very well before taking it out. I fired s&b 140gr fmjs first with no issues for about 15 rounds and then started getting multiple popped primers. I also tried berger match 140gr with every shot doing the same. Has anyone had this issue before? I don't think the ammo im shooting is crazy hot or anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. View attachment 144237 View attachment 144238 View attachment 144238
I remember when the first few 6.5’s cane trickling out there were some issues with popped primers.
Contact FN about it. I think it might have been a headspace issue and FN fixed their 20’s.

My 6.5 has solid heavy primer strikes with no pierced primers using Barnes and Hornady.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I remember when the first few 6.5’s cane trickling out there were some issues with popped primers.
Contact FN about it. I think it might have been a headspace issue and FN fixed their 20’s.

My 6.5 has solid heavy primer strikes with no pierced primers using Barnes and Hornady.
I talked to FN and I am going to send it in to get checked out. I will keep you guys updated.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I talked to FN and I am going to send it in to get checked out. I will keep you guys updated.
I just picked up my 20s also chambered in 6.5 cm and I’ve been having the same problem. I’ve also had a handful of failure to feeds where the gun will fire, and then the next round will get jammed in the chamber. The charging handle will get stuck forward, and I’ll need to mortar the rifle to clear the jam. Have you had anything like this happen? I just sent mine in to FN this week. Hopefully they can figure it out. So far, not happy with my $5,000 purchase!

·
Registered
954 Posts
The S&B strike looks severely smaller than the Lapua. Do you have more ammo that isn't Berger-loaded Lapua? That ammo may well be very hot
6.5 CM comes in both small rifle primer and large rifle primer varieties. Is a PIA for reloaders as requires another level of sorting. I think the appearance of the size of the strike is because of the different primer size making an optical illusion.

·
Registered
918 Posts
6.5 CM comes in both small rifle primer and large rifle primer varieties. Is a PIA for reloaders as requires another level of sorting. I think the appearance of the size of the strike is because of the different primer size making an optical illusion.
Cool, perhaps you're right. I do reload 6.0CM and, like with 10mm and 45, refuse to use anything not large primer.

·
Registered
954 Posts
That Lapua brass in 6.5 CM ads another level of PIA as the flash holes are smaller than the standard depriming rod, so if you try to use your standard resizing die it will bend/break the depriming rod. Have turned down quite a few of those Lapua brass as I do not care to deal trying to keep them seperate. Folks say it is pretty good and consistent brass, I am just not willing to deal with the frustration.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just picked up my 20s also chambered in 6.5 cm and I’ve been having the same problem. I’ve also had a handful of failure to feeds where the gun will fire, and then the next round will get jammed in the chamber. The charging handle will get stuck forward, and I’ll need to mortar the rifle to clear the jam. Have you had anything like this happen? I just sent mine in to FN this week. Hopefully they can figure it out. So far, not happy with my $5,000 purchase!
I didn't have any issues with rounds getting stuck in the chamber but when the primer blew out the small piece of primer would get stuck in the firing pin hole and cause the gun to malfunction by not firing the next round

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey guys, I just received an update from FN: The firing pin hole was out of spec at 2.11mm. They replaced the bolt, bolt carrier and firing pin and are sending the rifle back to me today. Apparently this has been a prevalent issue with the 6.5 cm SCAR 20. In the report they recommended that I only use Hornady ammo going forward. I will be exchanging this rifle for the .308 version when I get it back- With ammo being as scarce as it is, I don’t want to narrow down my options any further.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey guys, I just received an update from FN: The firing pin hole was out of spec at 2.11mm. They replaced the bolt, bolt carrier and firing pin and are sending the rifle back to me today. Apparently this has been a prevalent issue with the 6.5 cm SCAR 20. In the report they recommended that I only use Hornady ammo going forward. I will be exchanging this rifle for the .308 version when I get it back- With ammo being as scarce as it is, I don’t want to narrow down my options any further.
Thats awesome that they found the issue with yours. I don't know what the deal is with mine its been there since the end of May and I haven't gotten any updates besides it being in their quality control department.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thats awesome that they found the issue with yours. I don't know what the deal is with mine its been there since the end of May and I haven't gotten any updates besides it being in their quality control department.
Sorry to hear that man, that’s all they told me as well for a couple of weeks until I randomly got an email from them just this morning. I’m sure it’ll be any day now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem, at first I had a few rounds get jammed going into the chamber but then I had a few rounds get jammed in the chamber and were stuck (bolt never closed all the way and would never fire). The first round we were able to force the charging handle down and it ejected the round, then it happened again. The second time it happened we forced the charging handle again but this time the cartridge separated from the bullet and powder went all over and the bullet was jammed in the chamber. We took a dial rod and were able to tap it out. Needless to say I sent the gun back to FN about 4 week ago but haven't heard anything yet other then it's in quality review.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had the same problem, at first I had a few rounds get jammed going into the chamber but then I had a few rounds get jammed in the chamber and were stuck (bolt never closed all the way and would never fire). The first round we were able to force the charging handle down and it ejected the round, then it happened again. The second time it happened we forced the charging handle again but this time the cartridge separated from the bullet and powder went all over and the bullet was jammed in the chamber. We took a dial rod and were able to tap it out. Needless to say I sent the gun back to FN about 4 week ago but haven't heard anything yet other then it's in quality review.
Yep, same thing that was happening to me. They found that my firing pin hole was a little too big, which was causing the pierced primer issue I was having, but FN wasnt able to repeat the jamming issue on the range (of course). I don’t know if the firing pin hole and the jamming thing are related. The only possibility I can think of is that debris from the popped primers were getting lodged between bullets and the chamber wall causing them to seize. Let us know when you hear back from FN- hopefully it’s soon!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yep, same thing that was happening to me. They found that my firing pin hole was a little too big, which was causing the pierced primer issue I was having, but FN wasnt able to repeat the jamming issue on the range (of course). I don’t know if the firing pin hole and the jamming thing are related. The only possibility I can think of is that debris from the popped primers were getting lodged between bullets and the chamber wall causing them to seize. Let us know when you hear back from FN- hopefully it’s soon!
Pretty disappointing that we are all having these issues. They said mine is waiting for a new bolt but still no eta. Did FN post updates on your fn account under your case number? Or did you have to call everytime you wanted an update?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Pretty disappointing that we are all having these issues. They said mine is waiting for a new bolt but still no eta. Did FN post updates on your fn account under your case number? Or did you have to call everytime you wanted an update?
I called them every 3 or 4 days while it was there but they never gave me any updates other than telling me it was “in quality.” After about a month I got an email saying that they had shipped it to me, so I called and that’s when they finally told me what was wrong with it, and even sent me a full record of all the tests and modifications that were made. I’m going to try and exchange it for the 7.62 version at the store where I bought it. I don’t think they have all the kinks worked out yet on the 6.5.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So have you taken it out to the range since you got it back? Or are you going to try and exchange it right away

1 - 20 of 53 Posts