FN Herstal Firearms banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
I’m taking it out this weekend to put it through its paces. I’m planning on putting about 200 rounds through it- various factory ammo. If I don’t have any issues at all, I’ll keep it. After the FN rep told me that these issues have been common with the 6.5 Scar 20 it really made me want to exchange it, but I’m going to give it one more chance, and if it proves to be reliable I’ll hang on to it because I’m a huge fan of the 6.5 cartridge.
I’ll update you guys after this weekend.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I’m taking it out this weekend to put it through its paces. I’m planning on putting about 200 rounds through it- various factory ammo. If I don’t have any issues at all, I’ll keep it. After the FN rep told me that these issues have been common with the 6.5 Scar 20 it really made me want to exchange it, but I’m going to give it one more chance, and if it proves to be reliable I’ll hang on to it because I’m a huge fan of the 6.5 cartridge.
I’ll update you guys after this weekend.
Awesome man! Looking forward to hearing how it runs!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Alright guys, got an update for you. I just left the range- my first 40 rounds of Hornady ELD match ran through flawlessly, then I switched to Hornady Black. On the 4th shot, the firing pin punched a hole in the primer. The debris jammed up the firing pin hole so I got a “click” on my 5th shot. I cleared the blockage, and the same thing happened again a few shots later. I switched back to Hornady ELD match and got through 3 shots until it happened AGAIN. About 80 rounds through the gun total and countless jams. I’m on my way to return it right now- I’m thinking of exchanging it for the .308 scar 20 or maybe even the 17. I really hope this doesn’t happen to you guys, hopefully I just had the ultimate lemon.

·
Premium Member
8,701 Posts
Alright guys, got an update for you. I just left the range- my first 40 rounds of Hornady ELD match ran through flawlessly, then I switched to Hornady Black. On the 4th shot, the firing pin punched a hole in the primer. The debris jammed up the firing pin hole so I got a “click” on my 5th shot. I cleared the blockage, and the same thing happened again a few shots later. I switched back to Hornady ELD match and got through 3 shots until it happened AGAIN. About 80 rounds through the gun total and countless jams. I’m on my way to return it right now- I’m thinking of exchanging it for the .308 scar 20 or maybe even the 17. I really hope this doesn’t happen to you guys, hopefully I just had the ultimate lemon.
I'd exchange it for a 17s unless you had your heart set on a long range precision rifle. The 17s IMHO is a far more versatile rifle and certainly proven in battle.

·
Premium Member
8,701 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'd exchange it for a 17s unless you had your heart set on a long range precision rifle. The 17s IMHO is a far more versatile rifle and certainly proven in battle.
There’s no question that the 17 is more versatile. I already have an AR-15 to fill that role for me. I got the 20 because I wanted a precision gun. That being said, I’m 100% buying a 17 at some point in time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I don't even know what to say man. Thats ridiculous. I'll let you know if mine is doing the same (I'm sure it will be) if I ever get to see it again lol.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I don't even know what to say man. Thats ridiculous. I'll let you know if mine is doing the same (I'm sure it will be) if I ever get to see it again lol.
Yeah man I honestly wasn’t that surprised. I think that they’ve only been making the 6.5 version for a couple years now, and might not have all the kinks worked out yet. They did tell me to only shoot Hornady ammo, but a premium rifle like a SCAR should eat whatever you put into it.
If the worst happens, do you have a way you can return/exchange it?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
If I were you I'd call FN and tell them about what happened just so they know that your rifle is still having issues.
Yeah man I honestly wasn’t that surprised. I think that they’ve only been making the 6.5 version for a couple years now, and might not have all the kinks worked out yet. They did tell me to only shoot Hornady ammo, but a premium rifle like a SCAR should eat whatever you put into it.
If the worst happens, do you have a way you can return/exchange it?
I agree it should run well with cheapest ammo on the market. If the worst happens, I don't have a way to return or exchange it unfortunately. Id want to sell it but that would make me feel kind of guilty honestly. I don't know what the answer is..

·
Registered
15 Posts
If I were you I'd call FN and tell them about what happened just so they know that your rifle is still having issues.

I agree it should run well with cheapest ammo on the market. If the worst happens, I don't have a way to return or exchange it unfortunately. Id want to sell it but that would make me feel kind of guilty honestly. I don't know what the answer is..
Damn man... where did you buy it?

A good workaround would be to convert it to a .308. All you would need is for FN to swap barrel assemblies for you, as they haven't started selling those to the public yet so you couldn't do it yourself. If you get it back and it's still having problems you could send it right back to FN and tell them that you want them to do the conversion or an exchange for a new rifle. I would be surprised if they didn't take care of you- FN is a top-tier manufacturer with a reputation to maintain.

If you have access to match grade Hornady ammo I would encourage you to exclusively shoot that. It would be pretty inconvenient to limit ammo selection like that, but the first 40 ish rounds that I fired were all Hornady ELD 140 gr and I had zero problems until I ran the Hornady Black through the rifle.

That's all that I can think of for now.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Damn man... where did you buy it?

A good workaround would be to convert it to a .308. All you would need is for FN to swap barrel assemblies for you, as they haven't started selling those to the public yet so you couldn't do it yourself. If you get it back and it's still having problems you could send it right back to FN and tell them that you want them to do the conversion or an exchange for a new rifle. I would be surprised if they didn't take care of you- FN is a top-tier manufacturer with a reputation to maintain.

If you have access to match grade Hornady ammo I would encourage you to exclusively shoot that. It would be pretty inconvenient to limit ammo selection like that, but the first 40 ish rounds that I fired were all Hornady ELD 140 gr and I had zero problems until I ran the Hornady Black through the rifle.

That's all that I can think of for now.
I bought it new on gun broker. Yeah it might be a Longshot but I'll probably ask and see if they will swap it while its there. Like you said the 6.5 scar has some bugs that still need to be worked out.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I would post your 6.5CR barrel up for trade for a 20S .308 barrel...many are wanting 6.5CR because its all the rage right now...

You can always chop the 20" barrel to 16" without too much fuss on a .308 and save about a pound or so off it and gain in maneuverability.

I reeeaally like a 16" barrel in the 20S system...it should be a factory option here in the states like they do in Europe...I've owned all flavors of SCARs and the 20S chassis couple with a 16" barrel is just very useful...many will say well...just get a 17....but the 20S heavier barrel and extra retention has an advantage...holding a group...it doesn't really "throw" shots as you go through the mag...the longer chassis is awesome...I am not a fan of aftermarket extended handguards and prefer the 20S chassis...

SSR stock is meh at best for me...I didn't see any real advantages of it over a good, tight factory OEM ugg boot (my ugg is tight as it can be...the SSR stock left a lot to be desired in that department). Running a monopod might seem cool and look great...but in use...I personally do not like it...so...you can sling the SSR stock to someone for $850-1000.

A chopped 20S converted to SCAR H-PR can be seen as a SCAR Mk20 "Assaulter" ... if there was another name to be given to the H-PR designation ;)

·
Registered
954 Posts
If the problem is with the bolt/firing pin, simply changing to a .308 barrel is not likely to solve the problem. If it was a head spacing issue then a new barrel of either caliber would likely fix the issue. 6.5CM does not run at pressures much higher than .308, and they both use the same large rifle primer. As a reloader I would just attemp to get some of the CCI #34 primers that have a slightly harder cup to see if that solves the issue. I have shot several thousand 6.5CM rounds through a variety of bolt action platforms (and a lot of them hand loaded at the upper end of the scale) and never had a pierced primer.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Been handloading for near 30 years now, piercing primers is usually a sign of hot or bad loadings. Knowing the ammo is fine means a rifle issue. If this really is an issue with alot of 6.5 SCARs I'd be calling FNH and asking for a full refund as something in their manufacturing process for this cartridge is not right. If I lived anywhere near them I'd take it to them personally as a $4,000+ rifle shouldn't be doing this or be required to use one specific brand/loading of ammo. Wish you guys the best of luck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I bought it new on gun broker. Yeah it might be a Longshot but I'll probably ask and see if they will swap it while its there. Like you said the 6.5 scar has some bugs that still need to be worked out.
Have you heard anything from FN yet? I’m taking out the new SCAR this weekend for a barrel break-in. No idea if it actually makes any difference but I prefer to err on the side of caution when it comes to expensive things.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Been handloading for near 30 years now, piercing primers is usually a sign of hot or bad loadings. Knowing the ammo is fine means a rifle issue. If this really is an issue with alot of 6.5 SCARs I'd be calling FNH and asking for a full refund as something in their manufacturing process for this cartridge is not right. If I lived anywhere near them I'd take it to them personally as a $4,000+ rifle shouldn't be doing this or be required to use one specific brand/loading of ammo. Wish you guys the best of luck.
FN diagnosed the problem as an out-of-spec firing pin hole. Even after they replaced my bolt with a brand new one the gun just kept punching primers. I don’t think they have all the kinks worked out yet on the 6.5 version.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Have you heard anything from FN yet? I’m taking out the new SCAR this weekend for a barrel break-in. No idea if it actually makes any difference but I prefer to err on the side of caution when it comes to expensive things.
No man nothing yet other than that they are waiting on replacement parts. If I get it back and its still having issues I'm just going to keep sending it back until it works. Did you end up getting that 20s in 308?

·
Premium Member
8,701 Posts
SCAR barrels are chromed lined requiring no annealing or break-in. Load it, shoot it, enjoy it!

·
Registered
15 Posts
No man nothing yet other than that they are waiting on replacement parts. If I get it back and its still having issues I'm just going to keep sending it back until it works. Did you end up getting that 20s in 308?
I did. my dealer did an exchange, no questions asked. I brought in the SCAR and walked out with a brand new one 30 mins later- they were awesome.

That really sucks though man. You would think that FN wouldn’t have a hard time finding a spare bolt lying around. I wonder if they would do a straight up exchange for a new rifle. Wouldn’t hurt to ask. Hope you get it back soon.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts