FN Herstal Firearms banner

FN SCAR Prices are Falling Fast

53K views 201 replies 79 participants last post by  BT 
devildoc said:
I can't see it being worth more the $2 grand once the novelty wears off.
Can see why it would be more then an FS200 or 556
Agreed. :?

As soon as the AR's go back to the $600-$800 range, the only way the SCAR will be able to compete will be to drop down to the $1700- $2100 price range to be competitive with other higher end platforms like the AUG A3(being released Feb 09), FS2000, Sig 556, ect... If not, there fate will be sealed.
Why would the SCAR's fate be sealed? There will always be people out there willing to pay the $2500 for a superior gun like the SCAR. LWRC has absolutely no problem selling $2300 AR platforms. Same with Noveske. There is usually a wait from both. It's just another level of gun, that's all. Just like 1911's. There are basic $600 guns. Kimbers @ $1100, Wilsons, Nighthawks, Browns etc @ $2000-$4000, and so on. There was a gun magazine out a couple months ago with a good lengthy article on the SCAR, and they said the govt was paying around $2200, so I don't see the price dropping. Maybe if, and thats a big IF demand drops, it would just make sense to lower civilian production.

Zhurdan said:
medic,
Right now, it isn't a matter of the "average" person having the money to keep the tickets high. We have the current administration to thank for that. People that wouldn't normally buy guns are buying them. Those same people are generally speaking, in a much different tax bracket than those of us that would buy these weapons. That is artificially inflating the prices. Fear is a great motivator, quite possibly the BEST motivator. People who can afford these prices usually don't live in places where they'd need to own one. (Not saying that only people in bad places need weapons, but with a limited number of a 'cool gun', the chances of the average Joe outbidding those that have the financial resources is much smaller.) I'm seriously looking at about a year and a half until I can even find a SCAR, let alone afford one. It'll come, short of some drastice Executive orders or outright ban from Congress. Personally, I don't see either happening without severe repurcussions (politically).

The SCAR's fate isn't sealed, it's just delayed to the masses. It'll come.

Have patience.

Zhur
Hey Zhur,

First, let me be absolute clear. I don't mean to infer any tone in this post, just sometimes the way I write comes across in a context that's antagonistic. I don't mean that at all. I love a thread with spirited debate.

Nowhere did I say anything about the " average " person being able to buy SCARs. IMO, the " average" gun person doesn't spend $2500 on any single gun. . I agree about the administration causing the rise in prices by way of supply and demand. People are scared, and buying up the supplies, causing the demand to go up concurrently with supply dropping. That's economics 101.
I'll disagree, respectfully of course, with your statement about people who don't usually buy guns, who are in a different tax bracket than us, buying these SCARs at the obnoxious prices , feeding the monster we call capitalism ( which I'm all for ). Lets look at the number of SCARs sold at those high prices. Gunbroker is one of the resources where we could gage the quantity. How many were actually shipped in the first round? The highest number I saw was #122. For this threads purpose, let's say 200 were shipped. We all know there are A LOT of people out there who are gun guys who spend a lot of money on weapons. Look how many registered sears there are, and there are always people spending over $15k for those. If every SCAR shipped sold for for $8k, which we know didn't happen, that's still a drop in the bucket in the amount of gun guys who would spend that much money. Am I making sense? I'm tired and I can't tell if I'm getting my point across.. :(

Gotta go rest, beat from a day on light duty!
David

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.