FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the chance to look at a few FN FAL rifles and love the design, looks and feel. I have not been able to shoot one however. I have shot AR15 and AR10 rifles in the past so wanted to find out how the FN SCAR platform compares to high end AR rifles. I see the sticker shock on an FN SCAR rifle costing almost 4K compared to 2K for a custom high end AR15 or AR10 rifle so I wanted to ask if the premium is worth it and why?

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
You're getting ripped off, I paid $2800 out the door.

Does that include all of the Cali compliance parts already installed?

I can't imagine it takes $1200 to make a SCAR California compliant but what do I know?

It boils down to what you want to do with the rifle, the SCAR is a battle rifle that just happens to be accurate but they are Kalashnikov reliable in my experience so far.

You can get equal or better accuracy out of an AR10 but not as light, or light kicking as the SCAR and certainly not as reliable.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
It shouldn't cost but maybe $100 to make a SCAR Cali compliant. Do the fixed buttstock thingie and slap on the bullet button.

Anyway, the SCAR - successor to the great FAL versus an overgrown Mattel Toy? Puh-leeze!!!

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
If logic prevails-- people are spending more for a scar, there must be for good reason for this. I'm sure many won't reply as they may think it is a silly conservation/question.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Welcome to the Fn forum fellow CA person.The Scar is a new design from scratch.The .308 AR'S are the same as the original stoner ,just enlarged to .308 ,with the exception of the few that are piston ,Pof LWRC ,Sig ,etc.The all have the one major design flaw.That dawn buffer tube and spring.Granted the SCAR ,might not be accurate as a LMT .308 or some others out there .But ,in my opinion ,I think it is the best Battle rifle out there next to the FN FAL.You can find the SCAR for about $2700 if you for look.It would be nice to post your location.I also belong to Calguns.net.We have a BBQ potluck once a month at Burro canyon shooting park.If you live in the area,check it out.If you show.I will let you shoot the SCAR 17 ,My FAL clones,And my several .308 AR'S so you can compare.Most of the people who shoot are shocked how light it is and love it .Just cannot afford it.Have fun.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks maybe it was more due to the expensive leopold scope? Anyways I can shop around. I love the design it fits great but need to shoot one at a range.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks crazychinaman for the kind offer, I live in Northern California near San Jose. If you are close to Bay Area I'm down to accept your offer. Lunch my treat!

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
Accuracy is one of the 17's strong suits. Of course the better quality ammo is needed but if an LMT shoots M80 ball 1/2 MOS sign me up! :-D! I have a couple videos show casing the Scar's accuracy.

Reactions: Spilz

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How are parts availability and service for the SCAR compared to AR platform? One gunshot owner told me that FN parts are more expensive and harder to come by than AR parts.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
How are parts availability and service for the SCAR compared to AR platform? One gunshot owner told me that FN parts are more expensive and harder to come by than AR parts.
How often do you expect the guns to break down?

Unlike the AR boys, I don't buy my guns expecting them needing to be fixed every other day. If I were to want that, I'd own more ARs...and Fords.

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
Everything breaks. If it's mechanical it will eventual break down. The question is how long will it take. Good quality rifles have the potential to outlive their owners. I am sure there are several folks on this forum with rifles given to them by their grand father that never needed a part. I know because I have one myself. It's an old semi auto .22 made by Remington*. Brown plastic stock with a white diamond on the hand guard. Rear magazine with a plunger. It's never hiccuped. it's not exactly easy to breakdown so it doesn't get cleaned often. It still works 100% and it's still accurate. Point is quality rifles last longer. This applies to ARs and AKs and any other QUALITY made rifle. That being said, yes the GD parts can be a b!tch to get a hold of. The only spare part I have is an extra barrel for my 17s. Don't even know why, perhaps my grand kids might need it. I don't even have kids yet and I confident I won't wear out the the one that came on the rifle. It's just a good piece of mind to have sitting around. Another point I need to make is AR10 patterned rifles are not standard. So you can't just order any ole AR10 part to fix your (insert manufacturer here rifle). Availibility may be better or worse than FN parts. Totally different for the AR15 flavor. Next point is if you're on a tight budget my advice is stay clear of the 17. I hate to say it but you gotta pay to play. I say this not because you need a bunch of expensive part replacements. I say this because tricking it out can be expensive as hell! The rifle deserves the best mods. That being said a lot of folks buy them and keep them stock until they come up with the funds To do the mods they want. And then you have folks who buy sh!t twice because they slapped air soft parts on them and realized the rifle deserves better. The main good qualities of the 17 are:It's light weight - carry an M&P 10 3 miles and let me know how you feel. It's reliability - it doesn't choke. Check the history here on FNF. It's accuracy - I have been shooting 3 inch targets at 450 yards. So if you're the kind of guy that has to have a spare bolt carrier group laying around be prepared to pay. If you can't afford it than i would advice a cheaper AR10 patterned rifle (DPMS M&P ETC) because paying $2700 on an AR10 over a scar is just silly *in my opinion*. If you already have a 17 than why not add an AR10 to the Arsenal to see how it handles?

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
SCAR piston driven, while the stoner is gas impingement system.

I like not having gas blown into my face.

Reactions: bayonet14

·
Registered
157 Posts
Firebat,
from the research I have done Most quality 308 rifles are going to cost around that 2,000+ range. The scar is an incredible 308 and shooting one, to me, is unique to other 308 rifles I have shot, including the ar-10 type rifles. Best thing is to try and fire one for yourself. One thing I will touch on that others have said is it is a costly rifle to get into. You may find yourself constantly buying stuff for it or like me changing the optics you have on it. I have never customized or changed the setup of a rifle so much like I have done with the scar. I won't mention total cost in terms of stuff I have bought for the 17 but it's a lot.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Firebat,
from the research I have done Most quality 308 rifles are going to cost around that 2,000+ range. The scar is an incredible 308 and shooting one, to me, is unique to other 308 rifles I have shot, including the ar-10 type rifles. Best thing is to try and fire one for yourself. One thing I will touch on that others have said is it is a costly rifle to get into. You may find yourself constantly buying stuff for it or like me changing the optics you have on it. I have never customized or changed the setup of a rifle so much like I have done with the scar. I won't mention total cost in terms of stuff I have bought for the 17 but it's a lot.
Totally agree... Could get expensive

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
To a certain extent, you get what you pay for. I have a number of AR's, and generally like them - but my next purchase is going to be a second SCAR 17S. YMMV...

Reactions: Copperjacket
1 - 20 of 68 Posts