FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Banned
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone hear anything new about the FN SCAR?

Besides the 2006 SHOT show announcement that FN will be releasing a civilian legal version in 2008, I haven't heard anything new.

·
Registered
426 Posts
The Association of the US Army magazine had FN advertisements in it recently for the SCAR. Ad showed nice pics of the variations, .223 & 7.62.

A

·
0 Posts
I had never hearf od this before - but from the photos, it looks really interesting.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just spoke to an FNH sales rep who was in town from North Carolina a couple of days ago. Normally, I don't pay much attention to reps. They are usually just sales guys who happen to be working for a gun company that week, and could be working at a car dealership next week. Every once in a while I meet a good one. This guy from FNH was great. He really knew his stuff. It was a real pleasure to talk to him. I got him alone for a few minutes and asked him a few questions. I learned a lot, but I'll just make a quick bullet list of the pertinent SCAR info I got from him:

1 The SCAR has been in constant evolution since it was originally drawn up, but is pretty much a finished product now.
2 It is getting very popular very quickly in the US military.
3 Projected ship date for LE use is scheduled for the fourth quarter of 2007.
4 Projected ship date for the rest of us is set for March of 2008.
5 Both the SCAR Light and SCAR Heavy will ship at those times.
6 Magazines for the SCAR-L will be AR-15 style, as promised.
7 Magazines for the SCAR-H will be proprietary.
8 I got the impression that it would be just the 5.56 and 7.62x51 calibers shipping first, but I didn't ask directly and he didn't say directly so that may not be accurate.
9 No prices were quoted, so your guess is as good as mine.

I very rarely get excited about any new gun. I've been a pistol/combat shotgun/assault rifle instructor for quite a while now. Before anyone asks or assumes, my instruction is mostly for private security companies (not LE or military) so don't think I'm some poser pretending to be the next Rambo or something. I've played with lots of neat toys, and trained other folks how to use them too, but have never had to defend myself from hordes of zombies with just a toothpick and a bendy drinking straw, and I hope my luck holds. :wink:

My point is that the novelty of "newer and better" just doesn't get to me anymore. However, the idea of the first new .308 battle rifle design in almost 50 years is very exciting! I hope they can stick to their projected schedule.

I also want to thank ShipWreck for inviting me over here from another forum. This one is still in its infancy, but I like the looks of it.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Forgive the silly question, but what advantage is a SCAR over an M4, LR 308? Or an F2000?

TA

·
Registered
6 Posts
The biggest complaint against the M4 is that its direct gas operating system blows hot gas and fouling back into the action with every shot. As such, it heats up very quickly, and gets very dirty. While this is rarely a problem in the civilian world, where shooting is in semi-auto and rifles can be cleaned often, it is causing a lot of problems in the military. The problems were so severe that SOCOM released a report that called the M4 "fundamentally flawed". The end result of program to replace the M4 in the SOCOM inventory is the FN SCAR.

The SCAR works on a gas piston system, like most other successful combat rifles. It is made to demanding standards, and comes in two frame sizes and several barrel lengths with a remarkable degree of modularity. The result is a rifle with AK-47 reliability, AR-15 accuracy, ergonomics better than both, and the ability to quickly and easily switch barrel lengths and calibers to suit the particular needs of the operator. As I said, I'm not easily impressed. However, I think it's starting to become clear that the SCAR has the potential to be the US combat rifle of the 21st century, and is already the rifle we'll be seeing in the hands of special forces.

·
Registered
252 Posts
"defend myself from hordes of zombies with just a toothpick and a bendy drinking straw" :D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :D :p :lol: :D :p :lol: :D

I love it! Is this the modern version of the ninja, an eyelash and his wits?

If you ever write memoirs of you life you have to name it that! The name alone would compel me to buy it!

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Yep, gotta get one of those...

TA

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hi new guy first post, and this is a relavant topic. LOL

I first saw this in a magazine last year before the shot show, and damn is it nice. Light version able to switch from 5.56mm NATO, 6.5mm, 6.8 mm, and .50 bmg. All the armour has to do is change out the barrel and a magazine and you have different calibers at hand. Of course you stil have to have the magazines to use with it.

Heavy version is to fire, 7.62mm NATO, and switch to 7.62mm AK type rounds. Also being the heavy it is in all intesne and perposes a Light Machien Gun.

With both systems the stock is adjustable for arm length and check rest, yes that is right, you can custom your stock to your body so you shoot better. Best yet, they took shots of it being on full auto and the recoil is so small the guy was shooting one handed!!!

Now if that over a year old and things change, but if they keep most of that, that weapon is solid.

Khest

·
Registered
15,552 Posts
Hey, thanks for the information :idea:

That sounds really interesting. I wonder if the civilian version here will keep all of those characteristics.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The only differences should be semi-auto fire, and no short barrels without the requisite federal paperwork. It should still be a heck of a combat rifle.

·
Registered
99 Posts
That it is, a great rifle for our SOF guys. AR family has served our country for a good long while now, and new toys need to be made and used. Of course SOF is growing, more better, and now. LOL

1 - 20 of 56 Posts