FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member here with a new 18" on the way........Had a few questions

From my research it seems that the light piston is basically for ALL 2 3/4 shells, while the heavy piston is for the 3". Is this correct?

If not, is there a break in process/mod that allows the heavy piston to cycle most shells?

Since this will be a dedicated zombie weapon, can anyone who operates the SLP recomend a reliable brand/shell (000, 00, #4) that cycles & patterns well in this platform?

Has anyone come upon a tactical sling they really seem to like (whether 3-point or.....)

Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
The manual goes by weight. 1-1/8 oz and lower use the light piston and above use the heavy piston. I just have the light in there and have fired 000 3" Federal and 2-3/4 slugs. It didn't seem to kick any differently, I'm not sure if anything if getting extra beaten up, both were under 1-1/8 oz in weight. 1-1/8 is pretty heavy, like sabot and specialty rounds for LE/MIL.

Not sure how much breaking in this gun needs. It's not like my Saiga with some wicked rough spots and exposed edges. Everything is pretty well finished from the factory.

The Federal LE and tactical stuff patterns really well without the chokes. 000 3" is my favourite round to put through it--though expensive.

The slings are standard on this gun. Use whatever you've liked on another weapon. I don't have one myself.

Enjoy the gun! You'll love it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've found the S&B #4 and 00 Buck to pattern pretty well out of my 18".

Wolf slugs also seem to be very accurate as well.

I'm going to be checking out the 1oz. Federal slugs very soon. I bought 100 of them from Cabela's this last week when they were selling them for $2.99 per box of five!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts