FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I read somewhere that the FN shotguns are basically clones of the Winchester 1300 - with just a few minor changes. Is this true?

·
Registered
14 Posts
The way I understand it, it's the other way around. Winchester is a clone of FN shotguns. FN owns the name. I have an FN SLP Mark 1, and it's identical to the Winchester Super X2 Practical Mark 1. FN makes the Winchester. GREAT shotgun, by the way.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Saying the FN Tactical Police shotgun is a clone of the Winchester 1300. Is like saying the Chevy Corvette Z06 is a clone of the Chevy Impala because they both rolled out of a GM plant.

:wink:

I've owned a TPS for two years now and its a fantastic shotgun, But I'm going to wait a month or so, to write up the review because I'm in the process of a couple of modifications, that got put on the back burner for a month or two, when I jumped in and bought an FNP 9mm pistol this month, after the VT shooting and am still getting mags and night sites lined out for it, before I turn my attention back to the TPS.

By the way. Rumor has it that when the winchester line was shut down. It only left FN with about 1000 receivers for the 1300 series weapons and when those are gone, there will be no more FN pump tactical shotguns. So if you want a factory ported and back bored tactical shotgun, that takes a whole lot of commonly available AR-15 parts....You might want to get it now before their gone.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm not great at writing reviews, but i'll tell you this:
my SLP mk1 is amazing! slugs, buckshot, birdshot.... as long as you put the right choke and the right spring in the gun, it does its part.

i've been busting clays with mine the past couple weekend (shot a 22 in trap and 20 in skeet on my first trip out!), but i've also tested plenty of buckshot and slugs in this beast. recoil is soft too! i could shoot all day if i could afford that much buckshot :)

any specific questions, feel free to ask

·
Registered
1 Posts
My friend has a Super X2 and it is marked FN on the barrel. I'm anxiously awaiting my SLP MK1. Should be at my dealer in a few weeks. It will be used for multigun competition. What amazes me is the price on the SX2 seemed to hover around the 1k mark and the new SLP MK1's can be had for 700 bux. What a bargain for the same gun.

·
Registered
7 Posts
oh man i paid $825 for mine :( (after tax and MD State Police fee)
wonder if that had to do with the recency of its release when i purchased the gun back in February

·
Registered
120 Posts
The FN TPS is a essentially a highly modified and updated Winchester 1300 pump shotgun. I would love to update my Winchester 1300 Defender with the choke/1913 rail/sights the TPS has. Any one have any leads on who could do the work? This example is the classic blue with wood. NIB since 1995...I should actually shoot it some day!

I love the 1300 rotary bolt - its build like a vault. :p

·
Registered
3 Posts
TPS

I like my TPS. It has a few minor things that I would change, but overall its a sweet sweet thing.

Getting parts and aftermarket attachments is a bit of pain. I had to get a spring for the ammo tube because the one that came with it was either too small or just a bad part. At first I was getting a whole lot of failure to feeds. It was just about every tube that the last or second to last round would hang up right where it was coming into the chamber.

The one I ordered from browning/FN/USA looked much larger, was a different color finish, and works good so far. I ran a box and a half through it since I swapped that spring out over the 4th of July and it worked well. I need to run several more boxes through before I declare it "healed" but so far so good.

My other tiny peeve is that the adjustable stock is a little tough on the cheek weld when you are shooting slugs and buck for a sustained period. I am wondering if one of those YHM type Skeletonized stocks they have for AR's with the rubber foam padding on them would be interchangeable(?).

·
Registered
21 Posts
I own both the SLP and SLP MKI -

Both are very fast, and function properly. I bought them because they have the SX2 action, same as my Browning Gold Hunter (plus self-loading on first round on the BGH)... All are made in Belgium.

I may sell the SLP - I thought I wanted the shortest for HD, but the longer MKI is fine for my purposes. Haven't decided.

I like the SLP over my Rem 1187, mainly for reasons of speed on the FN, ammo sensitivity on the Remmy with it's short barrel.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I agree with the folding stock Issue. It slips, its painful, and the extension is poor. Very disapointed to find out that the Knoxx stocks do NOT fit the TPS, I understand that the Triggerguard is different on the 1300 and FN PS. It is possible to find AR-15 style butt stocks, but they cost more than a knoxx stock without any real recoil reduction.

I have seen somewhere on the net, where they seem to indicate that it is possible to put a 1300 trigger group into a TPS and that a Spec Op Stock would fit, but the trigger group I saw was plastic and cost more than the stock.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Rat-30 said:

Both are very fast, and function properly. I bought them because they have the SX2 action, same as my Browning Gold Hunter (plus self-loading on first round on the BGH)... All are made in Belgium.

I may sell the SLP - I thought I wanted the shortest for HD, but the longer MKI is fine for my purposes. Haven't decided.

I like the SLP over my Rem 1187, mainly for reasons of speed on the FN, ammo sensitivity on the Remmy with it's short barrel.
Rat-30.....let me know if you sell that SLP, cause I want one.

·
Registered
21 Posts
wahoo95 said:
Rat-30 said:

Rat-30.....let me know if you sell that SLP, cause I want one.
PM sent!

John

1 - 13 of 13 Posts