FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had this shotgun for about 2 years now. I have only fired Sellier & Beloit 2.75: oo buck and remington slugger loads through it. Ever since I've had it, every 3rd round or so stovepipes or FTE altogether. I have tried, repeatedly, detailed cleanings. Same result. I have the old red and blue gas cylinders. I am using the one for heavy loads. Also, I have a 'breacher' choke installed. Y'all's thoughts on the failures?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've had this shotgun for about 2 years now. I have only fired Sellier & Beloit 2.75: oo buck and remington slugger loads through it. Ever since I've had it, every 3rd round or so stovepipes or FTE altogether. I have tried, repeatedly, detailed cleanings. Same result. I have the old red and blue gas cylinders. I am using the one for heavy loads. Also, I have a 'breacher' choke installed. Y'all's thoughts on the failures?
I have had the same experience.

Loved my SLP, but couldn't get it to cycle reliably with anything but the heaviest loads. Not what I had wanted for this gun.

First I tried the Browning 'skeet' gas valve. $95 latter not much better.

Next I sent the original valve off to Sure Cycle to be sealed. With the sealed valve in place my SLP cycles everything, just the way I had hoped it would.

I can only surmise that FN intended that the SLP would be used for heavy duty loads and that they designed it to have a long service life.

You will love your SLP once you get this significant bug ironed (sealed) out.

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
try a different piston-- that may help. I have never had a problem with mine. I usually fire it with the light piston in it.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Do you know what velocity is on the Sellier & Bellot 00 buckshot? I always shoot full power 00 buckshot in my SLP that has a minimum velocity of 1325 FPS. I shoot with the light (red) piston. I only shoot with the heavy piston with 3" shells. I have fired Rio Royal 9 pellet 00 buckshot with the heavy piston and they cycled fine.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Today I took the shotgun to the range. Replaced the 'breacher' choke with the modified choke that came with the gun (3 notch). Ran flawlessly. Same Sellier and Belliot 00 2.75" buck. Ran 40 flawless rounds through it.

I will be the first to admit I don't know squat about semiauto shotguns. First one I've owned, only the second I've shot. The other was some kind of Benelli.

Anyway, there must be something the choke has to do with actuating the gas system properly on a semiauto shotgun. Just my conclusion based on trial and error observation. Please educate me.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't see much identifying remarks on the S&B packaging, other than "max" and "70" is printed on the shell:

11665593_908207162569191_1798245467885460960_n.jpg

Do you know what velocity is on the Sellier & Bellot 00 buckshot? I always shoot full power 00 buckshot in my SLP that has a minimum velocity of 1325 FPS. I shoot with the light (red) piston. I only shoot with the heavy piston with 3" shells. I have fired Rio Royal 9 pellet 00 buckshot with the heavy piston and they cycled fine.

·
Registered
189 Posts
When the gun was new I had the same issue. I got mine to work with crapy underpowered shells by using Slip 2000 and locking the bolt back for a week or two until it was broken in a little. Now I can shoot any she'll without issue. Slip and EWL Slip 2000 are the best! I don't use anything else now.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Took the shotgun out again today. Put in the #4 choke a shot 2.75" Remington slugger rounds. I think they were 1550 fps. First 7 rounds go off without a hiccup, the eighth stovepiped. So I take out the heavy piston and put in the light one. Load up 8 more, all go off just fine. I think that heavy piston is too restrictive on the recoil impulse. Should be used only for 3" magnum rounds.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts