FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
yo

im no expert on either, but one main difference comes to mind.
the saiga uses clips, the fn uses a tube like virtually every other shotgun.
you can top off a tube between firing...magazines not so much.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Saiga vs FN SLP

Saiga
+11rds w/10rd mag
+Reload times w/mags is quicker
+Can reconfigure; folding stock, shorter barrel
+Simple field strip/cleaning; no tools required

-VIOLENT recoil; did I mention the VIOLENT recoil.
-Shooting from the prone w/10rd mag = no-go; must cant the gun
-No rail for an optic
-trigger is rough
-Safety operation/location

FN SLP
+Very moderate recoil; you can shoot it faster (ie shot splits & target transition times)
+Trigger breaks clean = accuracy
+Rail for an optic; ghost ring sight
+Function reliability

-Tube capacity vs magazine; reloading time

Personal opinion, I like the SLP better.

Good shooting

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have never shot a FN TPS, but i owned a Saiga 12. Once you get past the allure it brings it is a piece of crap. I was told it needed a break in period and after that period it would shoot fine. Well that was crap, i broke it in cleaned it, messed with the gas plug, had a gunsmith work with it etc and it still would jam like crazy. A whole lot of good a 12 round clip is if it jams 4 times throughout the clip. Id say go FN SLP or TPS. Im saving for one myself.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'll take the TPS/SLP over the saiga....

The TPS (Winchester 1300) action is really fast...
I can shoot the TPS almost as fast as a Semi auto. :shock:

·
Registered
22 Posts
i have a nice saiga 12 iz109 thats is exreamly reliable, not bad recoil, fast firing, fun to shoot and havent had a jam since the day i got it, also very simple to maitain and clean.
did i mention that i put $600 into it before i shot it once and that u have to convert it before its even woth thinking/talking about getting it. seriously they suck donky balls before conversion

here is mine http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/71250-my-new-converted-s12/page__p__691994#entry691994

ifi could go back before i spent 1,200 on it id get a tps but i still love the hell out of it cuz i pretty much made it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I don't have the FN but do literally own a pile of Saiga shotguns. The biggest con is the lack of quality control from the factory. Some guns are gtg while others need work right out of the box. Once you get them running they are a total hoot! There are a ton of different ways to set them up. Figure out what you want to do and build it to suit. With a 20 rd drum and OO buck you can literally throw 300 9mm projectiles downrange in less than five seconds. Try to find another gun that can do that!

Buski, I never found the recoil to be bad. If you do they are options for that too...mid-barrel comps or muzzle brakes. Check out what the top 3 gun guys (R&R Targets, Firebird, etc.) are running.

Dt5000, I'll take it off your hands if your smith didn't bugger it up too bad.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Scar

I "mostly" shoot 3" 00 & 000, out of the SLP.

If your going to run an "unlimited" USPSA shotgun..shooting low brass birdshot. Or, shoot another competition, shooting the same load. The Saiga (ie being tuned to function w/those loads) has an advantage, via mag capacity & reload times.

Though, if your shooting what I am, w/a deer hunting or defensive/offensive purpose, I'll choose the SLP. :D

good shooting

·
Registered
191 Posts
Love my Remington 1100 TAC 4 semi-auto. Always goes boom, never jams. I shoot 1 or 1 1/8th oz slugs, 00 buck and 7 1/2 shot with no problems.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The true benefit of the SLP over the Saiga is that with a quick change of the barrel, you can do everything from 3-gun / home defense / tactical to sporting clays to bird hunting (from dove to turkey) to hunting with slugs. The SLP is a VERY versatile, all-around shotgun. :shock:

·
Registered
85 Posts
My $0.02 on this topic, a quick comment from another thread on this site:

The true benefit of the SLP over the Saiga is that with a quick change of the barrel, you can do everything from 3-gun / home defense / tactical to sporting clays to bird hunting (from dove to turkey) to hunting with slugs. The SLP is a VERY versatile, all-around shotgun. :shock:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts