FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I contacted FN specialties about converting my PS90 to a PS90 SBR using a CMMG barrel and other items they have in stock. I’m curious if anybody had any experience with this company any pros or cons customer service etc? fnspecialties(dot)com/shop/fn-accessories/ps90-sbr-10-4-short-barrel-rifle-kit/

·
Registered
126 Posts
A pricey way to go. If you can get your receiver engraved locally then I see no reason you shouldn't do the install yourself... and buy the barrel from another site for much less :)

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Check out pricing at bullpup armory for a more normal price on barrel and adapter.
If you want to take the barrel out yourself you'll just need a wooden dowel (to hold the springs in place) and something like this to wrench on it: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001HZQW0Y/
i don’t have the tools to remove the pin as well not damage the barrel.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A pricey way to go. If you can get your receiver engraved locally then I see no reason you shouldn't do the install yourself... and buy the barrel from another site for much less :)
i could have it engraved by Indent Markings. I had my other SBR’s done there. I was hoping to hear some feed back on this FN specialities overall work. If there was any issues, damage, scratches, customer service etc?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Why are you worried about removing your barrel shroud if you're buying a CMMG barrel? Honestly, all you have to do is watch a how to video and buy a dremel to get the thing off. But if you want to spend $$ you don't need to I can't stop you.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why are you worried about removing your barrel shroud if you're buying a CMMG barrel? Honestly, all you have to do is watch a how to video and buy a dremel to get the thing off. But if you want to spend $$ you don't need to I can't stop you.
the barrel is brand new i never fired the ps90 once i got it. I was going to sell the barrel, and or keep the barrel to have it cut down to 10.4 for a future build. i don’t care about the shroud itself i don’t want to mess anything up removing it.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
If you're going to cut down the factory barrel to have a spare 10.4" then it's so simple. Take a hacksaw or a dremel and cut off the whole flash hider/barrel portion of the factory 16" barrel. Take the appropriate size thin wrench, unscrew the barrel but don't pull it out/remove it. Remove the shroud but not the barrel. Take the dowel rod and push the barrel out while leaving the dowel rod in the receiver, this keeps all your springs intact where they need to be. Push new barrel in which pushes out the dowel rod. Tighten new barrel in using whatever flash hider/suppressor mount you have chosen as the barrel retention. You're done. Could probably do it in under 10 minutes if you have everything ready to go.

·
Administrator
11,104 Posts
Why cut the barrel and ruin it? Just drill out the blind pin and unscrew the barrel shroud. Save the intact barrel and shroud and sell as a pair (there are people looking for these) and this set can net you up to $300. This is the nice thing about having a 16" barrel as a spare. You can always replace the short barrel with the regular barrel and voila, not ATF form needed to move the intact rifle around the country. Then you can always return the firearm to SBR status by removing the 16" barrel and re-installing the 10.4" barrel.

Don't destroy something when you do not have to. It is far harder to cut the barrel and shroud than it is to drill out the blind pin and unscrew the barrel shroud from the barrel. Blind pins are easily found at your local hardware store for about 6 cents each...A simple shear pin suffices.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Why cut the barrel and ruin it? Just drill out the blind pin and unscrew the barrel shroud. Save the intact barrel and shroud and sell as a pair (there are people looking for these) and this set can net you up to $300. This is the nice thing about having a 16" barrel as a spare. You can always replace the short barrel with the regular barrel and voila, not ATF form needed to move the intact rifle around the country. Then you can always return the firearm to SBR status by removing the 16" barrel and re-installing the 10.4" barrel.

Don't destroy something when you do not have to. It is far harder to cut the barrel and shroud than it is to drill out the blind pin and unscrew the barrel shroud from the barrel. Blind pins are easily found at your local hardware store for about 6 cents each...A simple shear pin suffices.
I only suggested that as he said he didn't have the tools for getting the blind pin out gently. Otherwise I concur completely.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
I can't comment on their Gunsmithing work, but Dorin Adika (Not to be confused with his Brother Matt) is good people :D

·
Vendor
147 Posts
I can attest to the character of Dorin who runs FN specialties. I have been doing consistent business with him for a few years and he is always prompt, respectable, and appreciative. I don't see him being any different with his customers than he is with his suppliers. I have only good things to say about my experiences with them. Communication is big when it comes to customer service, and that is something he does not lack. And this is coming from a vendor that prides themselves on their own customer service.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I used a 1/4 inch end cutting mill chucked in a standard drill press to cut the back out of the blind pin hole. Yes, mount the barrell in a vise and clamp it to the drill table. There was a little bit of chatter, but the old barrel and shroud can be re-used. I feel bad when people think they need to pay big money for a fairly simple gun smith project. Also another tip, get a "Park tool PW-3" wrench from Amazon, instead of taking all the effort to grind down a standard wrench. The PW-3 fits perfectly.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I shipped mine to Dorin and had it back so fast I am undecided whether Man Kave or FNSPECIALITES has the fastest service!

One time I ordered a sling and Dorin tossed in a Ring Sight tool with all the goodies and I swear it was here the next day or the day after--so fast it'd make your head spin.

As far as quality, I had FNSPECIALTIES install a fluted threaded shroud and, while I was warned that sometimes they lose an original shroud when taking one off, mine came off perfectly. Moreover, the installation they did was perfect. The gapping is tight and I am expecting it to be more accurate.

Sure, their fees are there but the Quality of Work is impeccable from my experience.

I am hoping to have them build me a PS90 someday or at the very least have them install another threaded fluted shroud and maybe an EFFEN 90 on another PS90.

Use FNSPECIALTIES with confidence.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Gr8ful, hope there is a touch of play in the barrel/shroud they put on for you.....it's part of the PS90 design. Should have just a touch of back and forth between the shroud and receiver when pushing the front of the barrel backwards towards the receiver.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Couple of questions for those done already, SBR conversion.
is it ok to order cmmg barrel before having your stamp?
is there any link on atf rules for proper engraving, and can it be done at home without damaging it or expensive tools?
engraving goes on the upper receiver component because the rest is all plastic?
922 compliance a concern if using a us built PS90 and cmmg USA barrel?

thanks
td

·
Administrator
11,104 Posts
922 does not apply. Some will say yes on barrel, some will say no. Personally, I dont think it matters unless you run up to an ATF agent and yell "lookie here mofo, up yours!". Just keep the short barrel away from the PS90 till you have the stamp. It's just a barrel, a part. Does not become a sbr until you .marry it to the receiver. Engraving has to be 3/16 in tall and must be at least .003 in deep IIRC. Engrave the receiver on one side or another. Rules on ATF site for engraving.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey all, Thanks for the info. Seems like the blind pin can be removed with a steel drill applied to the opposite side of the shroud and then drill a pit to expose the blind side of the pin and use a punch to remove the pin, leaving a pit in the shroud. Is this the preferred manner to remove the shroud?
Looks pretty easy based on some fairly crude you tube videos I saw.

TD

1 - 20 of 21 Posts