FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new FN SPR. The trigger is an old style model 70 type set at 6#. When I took the action out of the stock to adjust the trigger to 3# I found that FN had epoxied the nuts on the trigger so it could not be adjusted. I don't know why FN would make an adjustable trigger and then make it so it can't be adjusted. Does anyone know how to remove this epoxy. Also, is there a BEST way to break in a chrome lined barrel.
Thanks

·
Administrator
12,030 Posts
Chrome barrels do not require any special treatment for break in. As JHS stated, go and shoot it. As to the trigger, I think Acetone will disolve the epoxy but be careful to get on the epoxy only.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies I never did like going through the break in process. Acetone doesn't touch this epoxy, it's as hard as a rock, more like JB weld.

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
Have you tried a heat gun?

I heard FN had epoxied the triggers, but mine was not epoxied. I think mine was 3.5# when I got it and I dropped it down to 3# (as low as it can safely go on my rifle).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The heat gun works! It took the heat gun 4 to 5 seconds to melt the epoxy so it could be pushed off. Excellent idea. Thanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just got a new FN SPR. The trigger is an old style model 70 type set at 6#. When I took the action out of the stock to adjust the trigger to 3# I found that FN had epoxied the nuts on the trigger so it could not be adjusted.
Where do I find the torque spec for the action fasteners?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was told by the people I bought my rifle from that they torque the guard screws to 65 inch pounds, but I talked to someone a McMillian and they suggested that you start at 30 inch pounds and do a ladder test to see which works best.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts