FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would post about my experience with Aguila Minishells. If you don't have any experience with Aguila, they make several novelty rounds in addition to regular ammo. Their .22lr Colibri ammo is probably my favorite, it sounds like an air gun when fired from my pistol. Good to use for killing critters in the basement or whatever, when you don't want to disturb people.

Anyway, the Minishells are 1 1/4" long shotgun shells that come in slugs, buckshot, and birdshot, and they were actually designed for use with the Winchester 1300. Being as the TPS is just a 1300 with tacticool stuff slapped on, when I read about how they were designed I thought I'd give them a go in my TPS.

They're fun to shoot and they would actually be a decent training round for kids as they have minimal recoil. When I pumped the gun fast, for whatever reason the last round always wanted to rotate vertically in the receiver and cause a jam. If you pump normally, this won't happen.

Anyway, here's the video I made on the subject:

I have the Enidine shot shock on my TPS, and a generous butt pad, and some custom padding on the cheek weld area of the buttstock, so I barely felt these. :D That stuff sure helps for 3" magnum slugs though.

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
Never seen shell's like those.

I wonder how they'd work in my Benelli Nova.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Nice action. I have the exact same shotgun and love shootin it. Is that shell side saddle for a winchester 1300? Thought about buying one. Great video :shock:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
These rounds probably wouldn't cycle at all in the Nova, although my shooting buddy (guy behind the camera) has one and we can always try it out next time. Most shotguns don't like the shorter shells, and they'll usually rotate into a vertical position when cycling the gun.

Side saddle is a tac-star, it came loose again after shooting more 3" mag slugs. I'm going to have to be more generous with the loctite this time.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thought I'd post some of the pics from the video in a higher resolution. They're slightly streched out because they're saved for being put into the 720x480 source video, which uses non-square pixels.

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
How do you like the sights?

I've never had the opportunity to use sights like that on a shotgun.

·
Registered
475 Posts
how many shells would the TPS hold when using the mini shells vs using 2 3/4" shells?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Holds 12+1 with 1 1/4" shells, 7+1 with 2 3/4" shells.

The sights are great for making precision shots with slugs. Don't ever try to shoot skeet with it though. Maybe the lower profile ghost rings like on some Benelli tactical shotguns would work well...but I'm not sure they would even do the job.

I hit maybe 3 targets out of like 20-30 clays thrown, that bad.

Switched to my buddy's Nova Tactical with standard rifle sights, immediately started hitting 95% of the clays. And I'm not an avid skeet shooter. For general shotgunning, the standard rifle sights are superior. But I can make tighter groups with slugs using the ghost rings.

Then again, he was able to shoot as well with the TPS as I was with his Benelli. He uses "the force"...he just points the gun without looking down the sights or even the barrel. He hit a couple from the hip too. He says it's frustrating because he likes to teach people how to shoot, but that's the one thing he can't teach anyone.

Of course, when I can afford it an EOTech 512.A65 is going to find a home on that naked rail on top, and these points will be moot.

:D

Just so happens I have one of those on it's way for my TPD AXR.

:x

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Some more recent pics:

That's a customized ATI Shotforce stock on there... also new is the aforementioned EOTech 512.A65, and a Falcon Industries ERGO overmolded grip.

Awaiting a railed forend of some sort. I've got a aluminum Falcon forend on order with MidwayUSA, but it looks like Falcon quit making them and MidwayUSA keeps pushing back the expected stocking date. Ordered a polymer version from ProMag today, we'll see if they ship that.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I do buy stuff from MidwayUSA when it's cost-effective, they have great customer service and they ship very quickly as I'm only a state away. I ordered the pistol grip and buttstock setup through Midway. The sling adapter, Enidine, side saddle and sling are from tacticalshotgunner.com. EOTech is from a seller on GunBroker ($355 shipped!) and the GG&G covers are from somewhere random.

A point about the sling, it's an Urban E.R.T. sling and I love them, have one on my AR and bought one to use on my TPD AXR when it gets here. It's a hybrid 2-point/1-point sling, I have a GG&G front sling adapter that fits in under the cap on the mag tube, it isn't pictured.

I have the Falcon Industries railed forend on order from MidwayUSA, but they're out of stock on it an keep pushing the ship date back. I ordered a polymer version direct from ProMag the other day, we'll see who ships the product first. I might end up getting both and just sell the one I don't use.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Lots, some random Federal 9 pellet 00, NobelSport 12 pellet 00, Winchester 9 pellet 00, and a ton of other stuff from friends. Many different types of slugs as well. Some Centurion "zombie" rounds, the ones with buckshot and a .65 cal ball. It's handled them all as you would expect.

I haven't tried any 3" buckshot loads, but it cycles the 3" slugs just fine so I wouldn't expect any problems.

My personal recommendation is the NobelSport 12 pellet 00. I'd rather have twelve 00 buckshot and a little lower velocity than nine 00 buckshot and a little higher velocity.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Spart said:
Lots, some random Federal 9 pellet 00, NobelSport 12 pellet 00, Winchester 9 pellet 00, and a ton of other stuff from friends. Many different types of slugs as well. Some Centurion "zombie" rounds, the ones with buckshot and a .65 cal ball. It's handled them all as you would expect.

I haven't tried any 3" buckshot loads, but it cycles the 3" slugs just fine so I wouldn't expect any problems.

My personal recommendation is the NobelSport 12 pellet 00. I'd rather have twelve 00 buckshot and a little lower velocity than nine 00 buckshot and a little higher velocity.
I just ordered some Noble sport 12 pellet today along with some #4 buckshot 27 pellet. Thanks alot for the info appreciate it :? I also seen some those zombie rounds. :-x I have been checking out all the buckshot online :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Good stuff. I need to get some of the smaller NobelSport buck. You really can't go wrong with #4 buckshot and above, if ballistics test gel is to be believed.

As far as slugs go, I usually buy Winchester boxes of 15 at Wal-Mart. Pretty good bang for the buck, and they've been accurate for me. You can find deals online sometimes too.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts