FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody. I'm new to the FN family as I just purchased a TPS. The guy I bought it from didn't have the manual, but I downloaded the Winchester 1300 manual so I could tear it down and clean it (still had cosmoline on it). However, I couldn't get the trigger assembly out because it looks like it's being block by a piece of the stock. Well, I don't know how to get the stock off either. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
I used to have a Winchester 1300 in the 1990s. If I remember correctly - there is a large hex screw that held the stock on to the receiver.

I don't remember the specifics on the removal of the trigger assembly, however.

·
Registered
408 Posts
If I remember correctly, before removing the cross pin, the firing mechanism needs to be disengaged. Then remove the cross pin. If the stock is indeed in the way, there is a large hex screw in the stock. Remove the cover with a screwdriver and use a long hex to get the screw out.

Most times, pulling down on the trigger guard towards the rear of the gun will pull it free. I always have trouble getting the 1300 broken down. I think it's more of an issue of it just being tight than being difficult. Once you've got the bolt out the front, I use my thumb of my off hand to push down from the ejection port. Seems to work ok. Getting it back in is just as fun. Hope that helps. I'll pull my 1300 outta the safe when I get home and refresh my memory if it still doesn't work for you.

zhur

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I appreciate the responses, but this is a collapsable stock with pistol grip, not the standard buttstock. I apolgize for not mentioning this earlier. There is a piece that appears to be added to the back of the receiver so that it can accomodate this setup. This piece has a lip on the bottom, and I don't think any amount of wiggling or coaxing will get the trigger assembly past it, which means that piece has to come off. It looks to me like I need a special tool to remove the nut on the buttstock, but I'm not positive. Anyone?

·
Registered
408 Posts
I have a pistol grip on mine, it should just be like a #8 hex screw. ( I think it's a #8, again, I'll check when I get home. The little V shaped "chock" is there so they can design the stock to fit Remingtons without using the chock and Winchesters with the chock.

Question... did you buy it that way? Check your tool kit if it came with one, probably has the head you need if it is proprietary.

If the bottom of your pistol grip is closed, there should be a way to remove it, as the angle at which the screw goes into the reciever is pointing down and back at about 50 degree's, or the exact angle of the pistol grip. That's the reason I say it's gotta be a screw in the grip.

Zhur

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, there is a hex screw in the bottom of the pistol grip, but I didn't have a wrench long enough to get in there, so I'll have to buy one, no big deal. It's the piece that the pistol grip attaches too that's keeping the trigger assembly from coming out.

I bought it used, so no tools, I didn't even get a manual for it, but FN is sending one to me.

I think there's a special tool to remove the nut at the base of the buttstock, but I don't know if that will do anything other tha remove the stock. Still working on it. :(

·
Registered
408 Posts
If'n ya can.. take a pic, post it here. Yeah, you'll need about a 4" long hex to get that outta there. I know what you are talking about with the little chock blocking it.. (hehe sorry... chock blocking.... that's funny right there... dunno why) Honestly though, once you get it cleaned out once, there isn't a whole lot of cleaning to do in the trigger group. It'll only be a once in a while job unless you're rolling around in the dirt with it or something.

Zhur

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, are you saying if I take the pistol grip off, that will allow me to take the other piece off that's blocking the trigger assembly?

·
Registered
408 Posts
Yes, take out the hex screw, the pistol grip will come off, then you can take out the trigger assy.

Zhur

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That didn't work. I bought the appropriate hex tool and took the pistol grip off, but there was nothing else to take off. It was just a solid piece under the pistol grip. The piece that encompasses the top rail, the back portion where a normal buttstock would attach, and a small extension that the pistol grip attaches to is the piece blocking the trigger assembly. It looks to me like I need to remove the collapsable stock in order to get at it, but I don't know how to do that. It looks like I need something to attach to the nut.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Again, if you can take a picture that would help alot as there are about as many different types and brands of aftermarket stocks out there as there are stars in the sky. I'll try and get some pics up of the process tonight.
Sorry it hasn't helped thus far
Zhur

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll see if I can get some pictures up in the next day or so. I realize there are many different aftermarket stocks, but it came with this one from the factory. In fact, it looks exactly like the TPS in FNH's product catalog, so I assumed it was common. I'll try to get pics up soon. Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here are a few pics. As you can see, there's a piece attached to the back of the receiver to accomodate the collapsible stock and pistol grip. The lip and attach point for the pistol grip are keeping the trigger assembly from coming out. So I guess the collapsible stock nut needs to come off in order to get to the attachment for the piece behind the receiver?

[/url]

·
Registered
408 Posts
Idle,
you should be able to get that out without taking off the stock.

Have you pushed out the takedown pin and tried to take it out yet? The takedown pin is the big one just above the trigger. Just push it thru with a small screwdriver, and then pull down and slightly back on the trigger guard. Again, as soon as I have a couple of free minutes, I'll post the Win1300 takedown process with pics, but you should be able to get past that once you take the takedown pin out. Getting it back together is acutally more difficult, but I'll take pics of that too.

DO NOT dissassemble the bolt completely unless you are prepared to look for springs and stuff all over your room. It's pretty well self contained unless you start pushing out pins and stuff. If anyone is interested, I can go into that process of pulling the bold apart, but it's under alot of tension so make sure to wear safety glasses as always.

Zhur

PS... you do not want the hammer to be disengaged, it makes it a little more difficult to get out... so rack the slide, and put the safety on, leave it in the charged position when removing the trigger assembly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's actually not a pin anymore but a screw holding in the trigger assembly. I have a side saddle on the left side and it screws all the way in, and yes I did remove that first. All I want to do is remove the trigger assembly and simply remove the bolt, but not disassemble it. I certainly don't want a spring spray and my intention is simply to clean it out well. Like I posted previously, the person(s) that owned it previous to me didn't even clean the cosmoline out of the parts you could get to (magazine tube cap, barrel attachement to magazine, forend, etc.) so I want to make sure it's clean and lubed well before I start blasting. So no idea on how to remove the stock?? Thanks for the help so far.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
A gunsmith isn't necessary, and I didn't think it was. Here's the deal: I took the gun to my local gun shop and asked them to remove the stock. When it comes from the factory, it has A LOT of loctite on it. They used a standard AR-15 collapsible stock removal tool (I think it's called an expansion too). Once the nut is loosened, then the collapsible stock can be unscrewed. Once that was off, there was a hex head bolt that needed to be removed and therefore removing the back piece that the collapsible stock and pistol grip attached to. After that, the trigger assembly popped right out with no problem. Then I slid the bolt and forend off the front of the magazine tube. I cleaned it all up and put it back together as simple as pie. The hangup was removing the nut attaching the stock, which required the correct tool...go figure. Anyway, in case anybody was watching this thread intently and wanted to see how it turned out, here you go. :?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not sure but i have the tps, and to remove the trigger assembly all i have to do is pull the out and pull it from the trigger guard and it pivots out with ease. And mines the version with the collapsible stock

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2 cents

Looking at the photo sent it appears a little strange. I suspect that this is an after market piece. ie..Mesa tactical adaptor. This would explain the inconsistencies stated by other responders. Maybe this was a fixed stock TPS that was converted to a collapsible stock piece. Your thoughts??

1 - 20 of 23 Posts