FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone adjusted there trigger on there FN SPR? I have the instructions on how to do it. I liky my overtravel the way it is. I only want to adjust the trigger weight as I am getting 5 to 5.5 lb readings on the rcbs spring trigger scale while the stock is on. I have got a few 4.75 readings but think avg is above 5 lbs and want it no less than 3 lbs and prefer like 3.25 to 3.50 as just a incase it drops down some over time from use. I put almost 400 rds in the rifle so trigger should be well broke in. any pics anywhere? Can I just unloosen the weight jammed nuts only and not all 3?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I got the rifle taken apart. I am getting 5 lbs consistantly. There is 2 jammed nuts above the trigger and believe thats one to adjust but noticed mine has a hard glue like material coated the gap between the jammed nuts and the trigger and also on the nut below the trigger. It looks like I would have to break this hard material off to even adjust the threads on mine. Anyone else has this on theres and had to take it off?

My threads on my bolts holding the stock on seemed to have a yellowish locktite like stuff to hold the screws on tight.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will take the stuff off and adjust it then. Its like a hard glue material packed between the nuts and the trigger and on the end of the other single nut on the end of the trigger.

·
Registered
475 Posts
FN set the trigger pull heavy and then placed an epoxy over the two adjustment nuts as these rifles were designed for police officers, (it was a liability thing, so no one could mess with it) i took mine to a gunsmith and had it lightened to three lbs. what a difference. the spr models do not have the epoxy.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My SPR sure does! I got it broke off but still some on the threads. All my 1/4" wrenches just disapeared. I guess I won't get it done till tomorrow now.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I've got an SPR A2 and I have never had any accuracy issues related to trigger pull. I've been able to get 4" groups at 600 yards... that's less than MOA, so I'm not really concerned with lightening the trigger. I'd suggest tuning your rounds to whatever scope you are using rather than messing with mechanical beauty.

Personally, I have a Springfield Mk III and it specifies that the scope is build around using a 168g bullet. I took that information and reloaded my rounds to print where the scope is set. (aside from zeroing). The scope I have has range finding and "no adjustment needed" ticks out to a grand, so I tuned my rounds to the scope.

Trigger pull has more to do with the shooter than it does with the rifle. Sure, a better trigger pull will make for a better release, but the shooter should learn to shoot the rifle, not spend money or time on things that discount their lack of skill. [*NOTICE*] I'm not saying that people who've posted here are without skill, just that rifles are mechanical devices, they often times "out-shoot" the shooter wielding them. [/*NOTICE*] Focus more on optics and round precision, the trigger is fine as is on SPR's.

Zhur

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In my case its not the shooter. I'm only trying to improve what it is. It already shootd avg .5" but the trigger has been heavy and I got use to it and unuse to my pss rem with 3lb trigger do to shooting it so much. It is a very smooth trigger but not like a rem trigger though. I actually have a better trigger than my buddy has with his A3G due to the creep he has and his is set for around 3 lbs from the factory. I am tweaking it for me, nothing I need to get use to. When I bed it I should get little more out of it all without reloading for it like most do. I may reload at some point for it to see what I can get with it but using fed 168gr match for now as thats what I'm using for training and schools. I'm setting it close to what my other rifles been set at so theres not much difference but looks like this one will be set little heavier though.

·
Registered
166 Posts
My SPR A1a had the epoxy. I adjusted it to my liking without any issues.
Easy as pie.

Careful on the bedding, it is extremely easy to get a mechanical lock if you don't do it right.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Timney trigger for the Winchester 70 MOA will fit the FN TSR. I installed it and now it is 1.5lbs. I cost about $140. Factory trigger sucks for hunting, trying to hit small targets.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts