FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Alpine Range in Fort Worth had a "Try before you buy" event that was sponsored by FN and had the FN factory rep's there. It cost $15 +tax for 40 rounds of assorted ammo to shoot on any of the 4 guns: FNP-9, Five_seveN, PS90, and FS2000. (As I write this, on 09/15/2007, the event is still on for tomorrow the 16th if any readers in the DFW metroplex are interested).

I shot the Five_SeveN first with 10 rounds and was really impressed. It was like shooting a 22LR. (I'd been shooting a Ruger Alaskan in 454 Casull earlier in the day so anything would seem very light). I was very impressed, but the grip was a triffle bit big for my hands, but so is the Desert Eagle and I own one of those.

Next I shot the PS90 and FS2000, and I thought the triggers were horrible. I'm not going to sell my H&K USC to buy one of these.

Next I went back to the 57 for my final 10 rounds. It far exceeded my expectations. At this point the factory rep no longer appreciated me - I asked him to field-strip it. He stated that it would be "easier with 3 hands".

Previously I'd noticed what looked like the o-rings on the H&K Elites and Experts, but this one appeared to be metal. After he handed me the slide and I removed the barrel, I noticed that the recoil spring was captured and around the barrel. I don't recall ever seeing anything like that before. I would think that this makes the barrel closer to the center of your hand too, which helps reduce muzzle flip.

Well, having slept on it, I'm now thinking of going back and buying one of these. Previously, I had no interest in it, but now having shot it...

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
I actually posted a notice about that in the FN News subforum a week ago. If D/FW wasn't 3 hours away, I would have gone to try out an FS2000.

The PS90 trigger isn't that bad after U get used to it. I got my Five Seven from Bud's for $779 a month ago - it is a nice pistol. I like it a lot.

Once U get the hang of it, it isn't bad to take apart.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shipwreck, good thing you bought it when you did. I just checked Bud's and they have it now for $825. The FN rep told me that the prices were going to go up again the 1st of Oct.

I typically buy from www.sportingarms.com because Lewisville, where they are located, is close to my house. They have it for $852, so since Bud's doesn't charge for shipping, I guess I'd be better of ordering it from them and then paying the FFL transfer fee. Can you say sales tax avoidance?

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Talk to Turbozag - He may be able to give you a better price than what is on the general Bud's site. He is the Bud's contact here.

·
Registered
152 Posts
The trigger on the PS90 gets better after use, and you can help it along by getting some INOX oil and lube up the trigger bars.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I dont think the 5 7 is hard to break down at all, you can get quite used to it fairly quicky. i am just really careful with what i use to clean it since it has a lot of polymer...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts