FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone, I hope this is an alright place to ask this question. I'm new to firearms because I previously lived in a state that greatly restricted and continues to increasingly restrict 2nd Amendment rights. I finally just got out of the People's Republic of New Jersey, and purchased my first firearm. I plan to buy many more to come.
Unfortunately I did not buy an FN firearm. I wanted something compact and that I could afford (I don't start my new job down here in SC for a few weeks), so I bought the Ruger Max-9. I'm taking a concealed carry course this week and have to bring my own firearm, and the Max-9 was the first one I came across that I picked up right after getting my drivers license and everything switched over.
Although I'm new to being a legal firearm owner, I've worked extensively in machining including lathes, mills (CNC and manuals), EDM, heat treat, etc.

I read a few reviews on the Max-9 the day I bought it (again, I needed asap for the class), and so far I don't regret it, but I've found that the reviews I read stating that it "takes the same rear sight as the M&P CORE, so there are many after market sights readily available," couldn't be further from the truth. While it likely does take the same sights, there are is hardly a readily available market of M&P CORE or Max-9 rear sights available.

I don't care for the non-night sight stock Max-9 rear sight. I'd like a tritium rear sight, but all I can find is a suppressor height M&P CORE sight, which is taller than I'm looking for.
I did some further research, and found a few Trijicon sights on the Trijicon website and found one that I may or may not be able to fit if I take a little bit of stock off the sight. I'm willing to give it a try if there's an excess of stock on the sight that I can take off and get it to work (not taking any stock off the gun).

The sight is an FN509 sight ( https://www.trijicon.com/products/details/fn04-c-600988 )
I only need the rear sight so I'll probably buy the pair, and try to sell the front sight on ebay. The only thing is that the Trijicon website doesn't give all the dimensions I need to know if there is an excess of stock on the sight that can be taken off for my intended purpose.
The FN509 sight at the link above matches the notch with for what I'm looking for perfectly (.150")
The rear blade height is also spot on (possibly a little tall by no more than .015", which can be easily fixed)
The overall rear height of the FN509 sight is .386" and the rear blade height is .26" so the dove tail is .126" and the Max-9 is only .09, so I could grind of .036" and get the height correct.
The problem is I don't know the dimensions front to back of the rear sight. Nor angle or dovetail. Trijicon didn't list those dimensions. Can someone check or provide me with the dimensions of the rear sight grove on the FN509? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Welcome!!! Email Trijicon directly - they might just email it back to you. Nothing beats getting the information right from the manufacturer!! I've had a couple "conversations" with them so I know they'll answer you. The answer might be "no", but you can ask.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome!!! Email Trijicon directly - they might just email it back to you. Nothing beats getting the information right from the manufacturer!! I've had a couple "conversations" with them so I know they'll answer you. The answer might be "no", but you can ask.
Thank you, I just went onto their website and sent them a message. Hopefully they can provide an answer to it or an alternative rear sight. Thanks again

·
Premium Member
8,701 Posts
The 509 was designed to accept Sig Sauer iron sights IIRC #8 sights. Sig's Xray3 sights are very nice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Trijicon responded quickly to my email, and this is the response I received for anyone else that happens upon this forum with a similar question:

Good afternoon,​
Thank you for your inquiry. Unfortunately, we do not offer sights for that particular firearm. I would refer you to either Tooltech Gunsight or AmerigunUSA, who can manufacture custom night sights.​
AmerigunUSA, LLC Tooltech Gunsight, Inc.​
4024 Martus Road 625 S. Glaspie Street​
North Branch, MI 48461 Oxford, MI 48371​
Phone: (248) 343-4854 Phone: (248) 628-1811​
Unfortunately, due to our Non-Disclosure Agreements with firearm manufacturers, we are not able to send out their proprietary information on dovetail dimensions. I would recommend you contact the manufacturer directly for that information.​

I don't really understand the proprietary information thing in Trijicon's response. I mean I do understand there being a non-disclosure agreement for proprietary information, but I don't see how the dovetail dimension is proprietary information. I mean, it would kind of be like calling home depot and asking them how big a bathtub is that they are selling to see if it will fit your bathroom, and getting a response that they can't provide that information because it's proprietary to the bathtub manufacturer. In any event, I will either give one of these guys a call or if I can find a sight made for another firearm that is oversized I'll fire up the old bridgeport and trim one down to size

1 - 6 of 6 Posts