FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks

I'm getting a little nutty lately... So Ok… I’VE been running around like a chicken with his McNuggets cut off with this new fangled idea of mine to get a carbine to fill out and er, uh, hopefully finally fill out my personal “House of Sunburn and Fun” armory by adding a new carbine to it.
Perhaps a FNAR 308?
I don’t want 5.56! I’ve been interested in some of these new versions of it though. 6.5, Grindle, 6.8 spc, and the latest update to the Whisper, the .300 AAC, and guess what I’ve come up with?

Nuttin’!!! Absolutely nothing!! Darn it!! It’s just too amny options for me to make the perfect pick! OK then…. I thought of FNH! Why not?

The SCAR 16 or 17 are way over my head financially. Way over. In that arena, I’d have to look into several other makers like LMT, POF, Nivinski, etc.

Then I saw the FNAR! Great! Super!

Then I saw some really bad press on it from (supposed owners in reply to some reviews) yikes! Waiting a year for mags? Terrible accuracy? Need a genius to take it down and clean it up, then put it back together?

Are these notes true?
Is take down a *****?
Is accuracy with this piece which bTW ain’t inexpensive, a real hit or miss thing?
Is reliability again, dicey?
Are accessories a drag to find/buy?

I also saw to FNAR credit, some positive notes… so in all, I came away once more, quite confused.

Please.. please tell me what your experiences with it have been… with regard to the above items… accuracy… take down… mag availability… and reliability?

…and of course, if you are aware of another carbine (M4 not AR, type) in or out of the FNH family, please, do tell!

The best deal I’ve seen yet on a FNAR 308 is right at $1500… no sights… one 20 rd mag. New.

...then I'd have to add optics... for me this is a wad of cash to drop on a 'maybe' weapon.. regardless the FNH rep

Many thanks.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Everything you've heard is true. You won't know if you like it until you've owned one. I think it's a design without a mission.

$1500 is high. Look around for one at $950.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.. I'm way past that mission specific biz. Actually it sounds a little creepy when I hear it. no offense. I just want another option for Home help and range time. I also want whatever to live up to it's claims.

MOA or sub MOA is a hefty one... and to guarantee it is astounding. I can live with 1.5 or even 2... at distance... on the backup shot. Take down and clean up are important too. it seems to be built on the more parts the better ideology.

$950? Really? Where?

My problem is if I don't have confidence in it to begin with or hear from current and former owners it is 'all that and a a bag of chips' I'd not buy it for $500. $950 just to see another card land face up is not what I'm about.... any more. Gambling on a rifle at a $1k to $1.5K ain't in the cards for me unless I hear a lot of positive input... and not just from paid for reviews.

I thank you for the input though.

I will look around to be sure... cause I ain't yet.

·
Registered
12 Posts
well, I am a newer FNAR owner. I bought the 20' heavy barrel for 1000 dollars from gunbroker. The talk about the heavy barrel compared to the light weight is roughly 1 lb. Also take note that the 20' heavy barrel was discontinued. Therefore the sub 1k price tag. Living in the Midwest I managed to go to the NRA annual meeting this weekend. And YES I stopped by the FNH booth. So I asked them why it was discontinued. They told me that there wasn't a benefit for them on continuing that model, since there was only a 1lb difference between that and the lightweight. He also said don't worry, the full warranty is still in place for it.

As you know, no iron sights , so yes u have to buy a scope. I recently picked up the Leupold Rifleman 4-12x40 for mine, I think that's the cheapest scope they make. So we'll see....

Unfortunately the take down is errrrrrr.....
(have a look) I watched it in its entirety before I bought mine, Almost went against it. But screw it.. Once its done a few times, should be a breeze.

As for the sub moa? Not all sure about that, maybe in the perfect environment , strapped to a machine. (I'm sure that's how they tested it) But honestly, Unless you are expecting to deliver head shots, from an upcoming revolution that none of us know about. (please tell) moa should be good.

Lastly , i personally have not fired mine once yet, waiting on ammo to come into the mail, still. Its been a long gun transaction for me and still ongoing, but I know, I'll get there when I get there.

I hope that some of this may help you, and good luck with which ever gun you go towards.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Pull the trigger, its a great weapon system. Look around and you should be able to find one in the 1k range.
Accuracy for me is right around 1moa. Its not as accurate as my Tikka T3 Scout, but its a reliable semi auto. I have about 300 rounds with 1 FTF, and it was the round. Like every other rifle, a lot of the accuracy will come for selection of the proper round. What shoots 1/2 moa in my Tikka shoots 1.5 in my FNAR. and likewise what shoots 1 moa in the FNAR shoots 1.25 moa in my tikka.
For cleaning, its not a ar or ak, but its not really that bad once you do it. I now break my down every time I go shooting.
Bottom line... it is a well built, high quality, reliable weapon that has not been nor ever will be "battle tested".

It doesnt matter what weapon you do research on you will always find lovers and haters.

As for magazines, they are avalible but can be pricey. (again you have to shop around.) I recently bought two 20 round mags for $95.00 delivered.

·
Registered
57 Posts
17S, 308, Accurate, fun too shoot, expensive ammo, sexy as hell to look at. Worth every penny if you have the pennys to spend. Super clean to shoot. 500 rounds and hardly got a cleaning patch dirty. I give it a 10/10.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I sold mine. It's as accurate as advertised but my dpms .308's are just as accurate and I know how to take them apart. It just never did fit me. I think of it as kind of a bastard step child.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you didn't want to go the FN route you could look at the Ruger gunsite model...I think I've seen then for $750, but they are a bolt action.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Thanks.. I'm way past that mission specific biz. Actually it sounds a little creepy when I hear it. no offense. I just want another option for Home help and range time. I also want whatever to live up to it's claims.
Don't look now, but you just defined it's mission. I'm not convinced it's any good at a home defense unless picking off zombies with headshots at 200 yds is a criteria. A range toy it is. But what rifle isn't?

My state just eliminated mag capacity in hunting rifles. I could see the FNAR as an interesting medium game rifle.

$0.02

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Bud's Gunshop has the California legal variant for around $1000 right now.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bummer...

$999? Good price. Thanks too for the info for buying online folks. Thanks a lot. I do appreciate it. You guys cover the web far faster and kknow more places than I do about gun sales on the web. It takes me for frickin’ ever to research stuff!!Super tanks.

CA model? No thanks.

20 in Model? Nope.

Although this is a $500 savings from the Davidson listing, I’ll still not gamble much with that sort of money … not any more.

When I’ve seen anything… electronics, guns, cars, etc., if they are good or really really good, they are accompanied by a load of great press. Reviews from publications and owners alike. All of the time the things which are very good have far more positive accolades surrounding them than they do negative ones.

The ‘it’s great ’ posts outweigh the bad ones and the envious ‘drive by postings’ expressing remorse or their own ignorance or contempt prior to investigation, by a healthy margin. All the time.

Guns however, might be a little different. Perhaps. As of late, I’d suspect not by much though.

My impression from my web perusals this far is it’s about 50/50 or 60/40 for it, overall across the web. That’s not what makes me pull cash out of my pockets.

It didn’t help much to see FNH dropping the model (s)either, in lieu of the more dedicated and updated SCARs.

Ferris
I’d guess a couple .308s in the chest would be enough to give them heartburn at the very least. it would me... . ;-)

Head shots are for Snipers, not for saving your life in a hurry. In that case, I much prefer “a Heart to Heart” sentiment to be conveyed… with extreme prefudice.

Ryr8828
About that DPMS GUN…
Was it the carbine (M4) or the LR version?
Either way, how is the trigger on it? I heard online it was not great.
I’ve not heard till now anything on it’s accuracy.
Mil spec would be lots more preffered if for no other reason than acquiring mags!

…and the search continues.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just Got FNAR Heavy barrel took , installed inexpensive 4-16x50 scope quick release mounts (doesnt fit in case with scope.) sighted inn scope at range 30 yards put 15 shots thru center one shot at a time. used dirty bird sighting target was easy. Bought gun from CDNN (cody). aprox $1080. with all ffl & CC & shipping. scope $32.00, mounts from cdnn $30.00.
to me the gun a blast to shoot next to my Springfield Garard.

M

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Rover... Super! Congrats!

Very cool. It’s good to hear about things like this.

16 inch light barrel or the 18 heavier one?

Mind telling me just how you got in touch with CDNN? Ph# ??

I downloaded their pdf but can’t find much info in it as it doesn’t allow my reader to talk to me… and it is so littered with cartoons. Instead of like this with mostly text.

post a pic!

I do plan on looking into Springfield tonight.

Thanks.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
PS.. You can pm me if you like.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Ferris
I’d guess a couple .308s in the chest would be enough to give them heartburn at the very least. it would me... . ;-)

Head shots are for Snipers, not for saving your life in a hurry. In that case, I much prefer “a Heart to Heart” sentiment to be conveyed… with extreme prefudice.

You'll be needin' a shotgun.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
need a shotgun?

They that bad?

Actually for Z-men I had thought to go cheap. just fill up a HD squirt gun with lighter fluid and keep a fire going and a shovel handy.

OK.. I'll sling my 12ga. 930 SPX autoloader up too and after I run out of 308 ammo, or it's having no effect, I'll be able to push 10 rounds of '00' into it. 'Course, if I know there is a big Z attack headed my way, I'll drop in eight of the 3 in. Magnum rounds instead of the 2.75in.

...and bury some of my Claymores here and there. I hate to do that 'cause it really cuts down on Pizza deliveries and the lawn guy just hates 'em.

I've often wondered about this one ... Figuring you're all alone... likely one of the last men on earth... What would you do if the Zombie is a great looking female and isn't growling a lot?

Keep that special handkerchief handy like in a plastic bag and as she approaches you, slip around behind her and shove it onto her nose, and ask her "Does this smell like chlorophyll to you?" :)

has anyone but me noticed the vast numbers of "OUT OF STOCK" tags on the various websites sales ads for their aR's and M4's? Well, in 22 they've got plenty. I mean the fat little 22s with a lot of powder behind them. those are everywhere.

Can you shoot a .308 in a rifle set for 7.62 x 51mm? How about x 54mm, Da? ...likely though, not the other way around, huh?

Perhaps then I should be looking for a 7.62 x 51 NATO chamber instead?

·
Registered
261 Posts
SAMMI specs on the .308 Win are higher than on the 7.62x51 NATO round. So one isn't suppose to run .308 Win cartridges through a 7.62x51 chamber. Shooting NATO rounds in a .308 Win rifle is OK. (just the opposite of an AR-15). That being said, the FNAR will handle both, per their literature. I don't have any 7.62x51 only rifles so I've never worried about it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks.. I saw that too. Higher pressures in the Win round than in the NATO. Some 762 NATO top ends however will also fire the Winchester round... though I get your drift too.

Marketing too plays a part in all of this I suspect. Claiming 762 NATO as the able round attracts another genre of people perhaps... rather than say their AR 15 is a .308 instead.

I guess.

Another thing I noticed during this pursuit of happiness/paranoia, is the 308 & 762 NATO rounds, unless you are reloading come quite close to a $1 a shot... running around 85 cents > each.

Now that actually does suck a good bit.

·
Registered
24 Posts
What the FNAR does
-best accuracy, performance, and trigger in the sub ~$1800k semi auto .308 category.
-great ajustable ergonomics
-ive shot alot of .308's, and even with no brake it is the softest and nicest shooting semi .308 ive shot todate.

What it doesnt do
-break down quickly or easily
-shoot whatever you feed it(well, my fnar didnt like steel case russian stuff, everything else shot like a champ)
-use iron sites
-get modified
-handle great shouldered

I run a 20" light, the fnar is all receiver and barrel so even though its overall weight is very modest/good, its barrel heavy and does not shoulder great. My only regret is not going for a 16" model.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts