FN Herstal Firearms banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Have owned my FNAR 16" standard for a year now.
Have ran 2000 rounds thru it. Never had a problem. It can hit a man sized target out to 600 yards that's the longsest shots I have taken. I like to shoot milk jugs filled with water at 600.
Load my own ammo. It seems to like 165 gn Hornady SST's the best.
Never had a FTF, FTE, stove pipe... nothing
Mine is topped with a Trijicon ACOG TA11E.
Break down is easy once you do it once. a smart monkey could do it.
Magazines about 50$ at Man venture outpost I have 5.
This gun sells itself when you shoot it.
Have friends I shoot with at the range. They shoot there AR's. When I get up to shoot I smoke their accuracy with a lot more BOOM.
They ask to shoot the gun geat a big smile, ask me all about it. Ask if I mind if they get one to. Next thing you know they have one.
I like you did not want a 223.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Now that's a first hand synopsis if ever I heard one, and one which makes great sense.

Thanks a lot!!

I got way above my rasing for a while and tought to get the Sig 716... for a day or so. Even found a local guy who would do it for a tad over $1900 out the door.

Too much $$$$ though. Very nice and very expensive.

Then I felt to fall back and see about a CX4 and found one for just over $700 OTD.

Then trying to lose even more ego, I tried with a few dealers to locate & buy a Hi Point .40, but none came back to me with good news. At all.

Asked too about a shop doing a custom job for me via some reputable makers offerings ... again a stone wall for some time to come. how long? Not now and not too soon. Months very likely At least two. DPMS, Knights, etc.

Sooo. I got to wondering about doing something myself... in some other intermediate range caliber. 6.8 spc is supposed to be a good one... so are other 6mm calbers.

So I did find one place and there's likely more if you aren't looking for top name recognition which will serve well. I can go one of two ways... 6.8 SPC II, or .300AAC

One path is buying an upper and a reciever and only a couple other needed doo dads.

The second avenue is via a build a Erradicator kit. A more involved DIY project... with more options and in 300AAC..

I'll be tossing and turning over this one all night now ... ;-)! ...and do a bit more double checking on both roads once again before pulling out the plastic... but it will be one or the other.

I might then sell my suped up Mossberg 930 SPX! keeping the new shorty rifle for it's duties instead.

Does 300AAC and/or 6.8 SPC II lose a lot out of a 14 or 15 in barrel?

So all of this might be over quite soon.

·
Registered
130 Posts
My heavy barrel shoots best with 165-168 grain ammo. Even after a trigger job, my 100 yard accuracy was just over 1 MOA.But after having a SJC Titon muzzle brake installed, my 100 yard accuracy dropped to around 1/2 MOA. Go figure??? Target was shot when it was gusting about 10-15 mph.

Attachments

Reactions: Macprowler

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
"Wel, you can't always get what you want. But if you try sometimes you just might find, you get what you need!"

Prothetic wisdom filled words ****,

I got what I needed to get. Nope... no AR... not a FN rifle at all. Maybe on another day down the road.

Not being able to get what I wanted or able to afford some of the alternatives like the newest 762 SCAR, or Sig 716, I slid down the shooting 'food chain' to snag a CX4 in .40SW. HD help and some range rat enjoyment perhaps.... or another way to burn thru $30 or so in 10 minutes.

when the dust settles and I sell off a couple other pieces, I'll revisit the upper end carbine route once more and look real close at the two or three which got my attention. The SCAR 762, The Sig 716, and a DIY short barreled 6.5 or 762. Meanwhile my CX4 needs some and preparatory accessories.

Thanks much everyone.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Thanks Ferris, it is well received. I think I'll have a little fun for a change with this one.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Remember forum rules: Pictures or it never happened.
Post-up in the Black Rifle Room.

Will you be getting a matching pistol?

·
Registered
5 Posts
funny thing. I have an fnar 20 hvy bbl and a tikka t3 vrmt hvy bbl as well. almost identical moa results as an earlier post 1.25 vs .75 for tikka.. fnar very finicky on ammo, no steel case; ftf 75%. tikka ok with all ammo. semi vs bolt.....m pro7 on both. gets easier to clean as time goes on.

·
Registered
183 Posts
For a semi-auto .308 sporting gun, that is not on the AR platform, the FNAR is as good as it gets. Is it perfect, no. However, I got mine for about $950ish back when they were all on sale. If the price moves up too much, I would think about it a little more.

Mine is at the factory now for an accuracy issue. As long as it comes back 1 MOA or hopefully less, Im very happy with it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
RE matching sidearm?
I really liked the SD .45 PX4 Storm... and HK' s 45... and a few others... but with all considered, the FNP 45T won the day. Since those two landed here, I bought a Ruger sR 40 Compact. Both handguns have a Viridian laser sight on their dust covers.

Today, thanks to amother member here, the FNP 45T got a Kydex holster which allows for the X5L laser sight. Whew! I thought I'd never get a decent holster for it with a X5L attached!

RE SCAR
$950? Sounds like a great deal to me! They weren't that low when I was looking around for one... or I never looked in the right places.

I have found for myself, take down ease, accuracy, and appropriateness are key factors when making any of my weapons purchase plans.

Down the road, I feel certain an AR10 will wind up here. Which one? I've no clue. Which ever one will be able to exchange uppers though.

Regardless which one, it will definitely be the last piece I'll ever buy.

...unless I find a really cool deal on a FN 5.7, or a compact carry 1911, or another great shooting 357 revolver, or a Sig 290, or if I decide to spread for a Trust, I'll look into some FA fun guns... or a super slick Crossbow...

Hmmmm.... Well, maybe it won't be the last one I'll buy, at that. lol

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've got the 20" light barrel gun, paid $999 before the present madness.

I really like my "almost-a-battle-rifle". Seems to be sub moa with everything I shoot, maybe even surplus 7.62 (needs some more checking, but I know it is way more accurate than my M1A). And for me anyway, "only accurate rifles are interesting".

Also light and fairly handy for a mag-fed gun, with a very nice trigger now that it's had some rounds through it. I keep a 10-round mag in it for handiness. I'm thinking of getting the non-handgrip buttstock because it could be even handier. Barrel cleans up quickly too. The side rails are kinda dumb (and poorly attached) so I removed mine.

As far as I'm concerned, it's a keeper. I'd trade the M1A before this gun, even though I "grew up" with an M14 in the military.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Liking a rifle is half the battle. Having a good one could win you the battle.

$999 probably won’t be happening for me on this rifle. Well, not a new one perhaps.

The tare down got me off of owning one, though somehow I wish I had spent more to get something semi auto and configurable in the AR platform now.

Maybe someday I’ll get something like the new Americana rifle from Ruger in a one size fits all caliber as I need nothing for up close social work presently. Although other large cals attract me, the 7.62/308 has a lot of advantages, so long as the militaries around the world keep using them.

‘course, now lots of ammo for even popular calibers has disappeared… or is way over valued. I’ll let those whose paranoia or pockets are deeper than mine deal with that occurance.

If I find a scope that suits my needs, then a long range rifle will get the nod.

Thanks, and enjoy your wepons!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm a newbie here on the site and I keep reading that the FNAR is a rifle without a mission. I bought a 16" last year and equipped it with a Leupold VXII 3-9x50. I shoot Federal Gold Medal Match 168gr ammo. I live in Texas and pig/deer hunt from box blinds. It is the perfect rifle for my needs. Very accurate, plenty of knock down power for what I hunt, and compact enough to hunt comfortably from a confined box blind. It all depends on your specific needs/wants, but for what I do it's the perfect rifle. I researched a lot before making my decision to go with the FNAR and I don't regret it at all. Great gun!

·
Registered
210 Posts
I'm a newbie here on the site and I keep reading that the FNAR is a rifle without a mission. I bought a 16" last year and equipped it with a Leupold VXII 3-9x50. I shoot Federal Gold Medal Match 168gr ammo. I live in Texas and pig/deer hunt from box blinds. It is the perfect rifle for my needs. Very accurate, plenty of knock down power for what I hunt, and compact enough to hunt comfortably from a confined box blind. It all depends on your specific needs/wants, but for what I do it's the perfect rifle. I researched a lot before making my decision to go with the FNAR and I don't regret it at all. Great gun!
Right you are DB9469!
It is a great rifle.
And it has a mission. Actually, IMHO, it has several: 3-gun, Percision rifle, highly accurate MBR, or a DMR. And if you are so inclinded, a non-auto Squad Assault Weapon. Throw down a lot of 168grn, very accurately at a high volume.
Most critics are of the "it does not strip down easily" like the M16/AR kind. But it does NOT inject hot carbon fouling directly into the upper receiver. So the high maintance of te M16/AR is not an issue. Pop off ONE round in a M16/AR and spend the next 2.5-3hours cleaning to get it to turn into the armory clean.
Others will complain about the weight. Put the game controller down, and get to the gym! Really! I'd rather have a guy who can hump 12 clicks and not a peep, then some whiney brat who complains about a few extra pounds, because working out to get to that level of physical fitness would eat into his X-Box time.
Dont lower the bar!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Thanks so very much folks.
All input here is appreciated greatly.

It’s becoming or has become abundantly apparent that for myself, having long range capability ala AR 10 or 15, depends on the glass that rests on top of it, AND it’s ease of service. Naturally other factors are in the mix like weight, accduracy, and caliber.

My next range visit will shed lots more light on wether or not I can stroll down the long range long gun trail. If suitable optics are found which work for my peculiar circunstances, I’m positive an AR 10 will be on my horizon… though I doubt seriously it will be one of the FN versions… for only one reason…. Caliber Flexibility.

I’d want one rifle to fire .308 & something else perhaps. Why? Truth be told I’m really not sure, but if buying only one more long gun is in my future, I’d prefer to have one which can have it’s upper replaced if desired… AND not to be shackled to only 556 or 762 as the available choices.

I like what I’ve read on the ballistics of the 6.5 SPII, 338 & 45/70 predominately, among others, though for my area, there’s darn little the 308/762 cal won’t handle.

I’ve already been to Africa and I shot Africa with a Nikkon and a Kodak and won’t be going back there anytime soon I’m sure.

ALASKA? That's unlikely as well, but I'd say the most Eastern and most Western state visit would be readily dealt with using either .308 or 45/70.

·
Registered
127 Posts
ive had two of them and they were both very reliable and solid. They are made with top notch materials and in the semi auto .308 category they are hard to beat. I sold my second one because my SCAR 17 does more in a smaller package. The accuracy can range from amazing to eh... ive gotten 3/4 moa to 2.5 with the same ammo. I think alot of it is the shooter and the fact that the barrel is not floated. I paid $1000 for the first one used and $1000 for the second one new about 2 years later. Good rifles but i would look for $1300 as a max buy in. The accuracy didnt bother me because i knew it had the potential, the issue I had was cleaning it. You can defenitly tell this rifle wasnt designed to be a combat rifle. (based on browning BAR hunting rifle not BAR machine gun lol) Would i buy another one? probably not...with the total cost of scoping the rifle and bipod etc etc you just end up with too much money into it... I would look towards an M1a loaded and give that a try...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
live4speed

Did you mean to say you had one SCAR 17 & AR 10 in 308? Or two 17s? I’m guessing you had two 17s.

I did think about the M1 a good bit. Have shot it a lot and the M14 too. I liked the 14 much better and it always pains me to hear the noise about the M 14 not being accurate. The ones I shot always were!

The Ruger Mini 14 was a long time wish list item for me… kind of still is though the aR config has put it well onto the back burner of my brains cooker.

RE 30.06 M1
I believe the 308 has proven itself in every area as better than the 30.06 especcially with the newer aR platforms, new technologies, rounds, flexibility and the multitude of ways they can be customized or enhanced. Eg., with the exchange of uppers it’s a fantastic platform.

If the fN modular tactical rifle was more than a Colt 900 series clone, which Sig too now emulates, and could accept more than switching from 556 to 762, it would sure be something to strongly consider!

With AR’s take down & cleaning seldom an issue depending on brand, it’s the way for me to go I’m sure… IF… a suitable optic can be found.

Otherwise I’m handcuffed to short distances, inside 150 to 200ft, and in, so I will have to live with my SPX 12ga, and CX4 .40SW with laser sights & LEDs.

At least the CX4 is becoming more fun to shoot on the range especially beyond my usual norms of 40ft and in, with sidearms.

I actually felt perhaps a decent 22 like the Ruger, in their take down config would be a lot of fun, but can’t get past the 350 to 500 bucks a nice new one will cost, given your remarks on scoping it and so forth which wil push that cost still higher… and looking at used there isn’t as much disparitybetween them as you might think… maybe $50 - $75.

The last resort long guns which keeps interesting me and is a sure fire value is the Ruger “American”, available in several calibers and lands in at or under $500. The 4 shot mag bugs me though. 6 or 10 would be about perfect for that sort of rifle I suspect. Although I really like the Scout style rifles regardless the maker better, the longer relief scope placement on most of them just kills me, but I do so love the lever action and its looks. Even though I feel I can work a short bolt action far better than a lever.

I suppose either lever or bolt, has it’s own getting used to curve so it’s likely just personal preffs. Being old, bolt actions were always preferable for accuracy and were all I ever had so they remain familiar friends and next to nothing to maintain.

Anyhow… it’s fun to discuss and research. Thanks for all the input.

·
Registered
210 Posts
308 - Can you even own one in New York?
No idea.
As I understand it, anything with more than 7 rounds is illegal. Even a Ruger 10/22!
Additional things illegal in NewYorkistan:
14oz or larger drinks
elevators and escalators
smoking in anyplace other than a small dark closet in your own house
And now, you are required a fingerprint ID to get into your own house!

·
Registered
210 Posts
ive had two of them and they were both very reliable and solid. They are made with top notch materials and in the semi auto .308 category they are hard to beat. I sold my second one because my SCAR 17 does more in a smaller package. The accuracy can range from amazing to eh... ive gotten 3/4 moa to 2.5 with the same ammo. I think alot of it is the shooter and the fact that the barrel is not floated. I paid $1000 for the first one used and $1000 for the second one new about 2 years later. Good rifles but i would look for $1300 as a max buy in. The accuracy didnt bother me because i knew it had the potential, the issue I had was cleaning it. You can defenitly tell this rifle wasnt designed to be a combat rifle. (based on browning BAR hunting rifle not BAR machine gun lol) Would i buy another one? probably not...with the total cost of scoping the rifle and bipod etc etc you just end up with too much money into it... I would look towards an M1a loaded and give that a try...
Isnt the hunting BAR (and FNAR) based on the M1 Carbine action?

21 - 40 of 51 Posts