FN Herstal Firearms banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
if a rifle in 308 is desired and capacity is an issue, the Ruger American and some Scout rifles from Savage and Marlin hold less than 7 rounds. The American holds 4, and depending on others ala Marlin Scout in 45/701 it holds 4 as well.

the Ruger has on board roatry mag ala the 10/22. Marlin uses a tube, and some others do in fact use std mags and are bolts or levers... but many are available in large calibers..

Won't the NY laws allow for stuffing the mag so it's capacity is less?

Florida has or had a similar idea on hunting shotguns a long time ago, and may still have... no more than 5 rounds capacity. That might stand for hunting still, but I bought my 7 + 1 Moss SPX 12ga new from a local dealer just a couple years ago... and have since increased the mag tube by 2 rounds. Now I need a longer barrel so the tube isn't so weird looking. lol

Thankfully here, higher cap weapons aren't restricted as they are elsewhere in the US..

State govt's need to figure out exchanging mags takes about a second... possibly two, and it's not the mag capacity that's the issue.

Register and vote. Good luck getting what you want.

·
Registered
210 Posts
if a rifle in 308 is desired and capacity is an issue, the Ruger American and some Scout rifles from Savage and Marlin hold less than 7 rounds. The American holds 4, and depending on others ala Marlin Scout in 45/701 it holds 4 as well.

the Ruger has on board roatry mag ala the 10/22. Marlin uses a tube, and some others do in fact use std mags and are bolts or levers... but many are available in large calibers..

Won't the NY laws allow for stuffing the mag so it's capacity is less?

Florida has or had a similar idea on hunting shotguns a long time ago, and may still have... no more than 5 rounds capacity. That might stand for hunting still, but I bought my 7 + 1 Moss SPX 12ga new from a local dealer just a couple years ago... and have since increased the mag tube by 2 rounds. Now I need a longer barrel so the tube isn't so weird looking. lol

Thankfully here, higher cap weapons aren't restricted as they are elsewhere in the US..

State govt's need to figure out exchanging mags takes about a second... possibly two, and it's not the mag capacity that's the issue.

Register and vote. Good luck getting what you want.
I have a FNH PBR DBM in .308 (imagine that!). No worries there. I really like the Modle 70 Winchester action. Control feed, 3 postition safety, blade ejector . For a reloader it helps.

But BlindJim is right: Register and vote!

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I own BOTH an FNAR and a SCAR-17. I would not sell either one, and I agree with everything 308reloader said in his post.

People complain about the FNAR because its an ugly duckling, and it doesn't "fit" into a convenient category that lets people sleep well at night. In fact, thats the whole point of it, it wasn't supposed to fit, it was supposed to be able to do a lot of things without planting itself in any one category of rifle. For that reason alone, it will always be forever loved, and forever hated.

For under $1k, you're getting a 1-MOA .308 autoloader, hammer forged fluted barrel, dual gas-piston gun with a pistol grip and all the 20 round mags you can shake a stick at. THAT is exactly what a SCAR is, without all the military-like features, only the SCAR is about 2-3x as much. The price alone should speak volumes, and it gives VALUE to the gun.

Its not supposed to be some sort of Rambo weapon, but it could be.
Its not supposed to be the deer-master 9000 "bone collector" edition, but it could be.

Its really just the architecture of a proven hunting rifle (Browning BAR hunter), that's been adapted with a few features to make it both more accurate, and akin to some dedicated tactical use. Isn't that what all of us always "say" that we want out of gun?!

I use mine mostly for hunting white-tail and other medium game, its a fantastic tree stand rifle...accurate, dependable, well-made, and priced a lot lower than any other brand that offers the same (or lesser) features; a little on the heavy side for tracking game over terrain, but I use a different rifle for that anyways.

Whats nice about the FNAR, as that it instantly converts to a formidable defensive weapon should the need arise. 20 round mags of Hornaday TAP and a quick change to a reflex sight, and you've got something that could very easily go toe-to-toe with any other long gun out there.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I own BOTH an FNAR and a SCAR-17. I would not sell either one, and I agree with everything 308reloader said in his post.

People complain about the FNAR because its an ugly duckling, and it doesn't "fit" into a convenient category that lets people sleep well at night. In fact, thats the whole point of it, it wasn't supposed to fit, it was supposed to be able to do a lot of things without planting itself in any one category of rifle. For that reason alone, it will always be forever loved, and forever hated.

For under $1k, you're getting a 1-MOA .308 autoloader, hammer forged fluted barrel, dual gas-piston gun with a pistol grip and all the 20 round mags you can shake a stick at. THAT is exactly what a SCAR is, without all the military-like features, only the SCAR is about 2-3x as much. The price alone should speak volumes, and it gives VALUE to the gun.

Its not supposed to be the deer-master 9000 "bone collector" edition, but it could be.

Its really just the architecture of a proven hunting rifle (Browning BAR hunter), that's been adapted with a few features to make it both more accurate, and akin to some dedicated tactical use. Isn't that what all of us always "say" that we want out of gun?!

I use mine mostly for hunting white-tail and other medium game, its a fantastic tree stand rifle...accurate, dependable, well-made, and priced a lot lower than any other brand that offers the same (or lesser) features; a little on the heavy side for tracking game over terrain, but I use a different rifle for that anyways.

Whats nice about the FNAR, as that it instantly converts to a formidable defensive weapon should the need arise. 20 round mags of Hornaday TAP and a quick change to a reflex sight, and you've got something that could very easily go toe-to-toe with any other long gun out there.
Well said!

·
Registered
1 Posts

For a semi-auto now available for under $1k the FNAR can't be beat. Just this morning at the range I easily put 10 shots in a 2 1/2" circle at 100 yards. And if you are not crazy about the tactical-black looks you can get the same rifle in the Browning ShorTrac Hogstalker and the Winchester SX-AR in camo. If I have a negative about this gun it is the weight. You pay for the gas system, heavy barrel, rails and pistol grip in extra weight. For hunting from a blind as we often do here in Texas, that is no problem, but if you stalk your game you may want to think about a lighter solution.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks.. I'm way past that mission specific biz. Actually it sounds a little creepy when I hear it. no offense. I just want another option for Home help and range time. I also want whatever to live up to it's claims.

MOA or sub MOA is a hefty one... and to guarantee it is astounding. I can live with 1.5 or even 2... at distance... on the backup shot. Take down and clean up are important too. it seems to be built on the more parts the better ideology.

$950? Really? Where?

My problem is if I don't have confidence in it to begin with or hear from current and former owners it is 'all that and a a bag of chips' I'd not buy it for $500. $950 just to see another card land face up is not what I'm about.... any more. Gambling on a rifle at a $1k to $1.5K ain't in the cards for me unless I hear a lot of positive input... and not just from paid for reviews.

I thank you for the input though.

I will look around to be sure... cause I ain't yet.
Imm looking for same. Im Canadian and I mayor may not have my last 308 may or may not have been a banned or not banned and will not confirm or deny its, if i hypothetically owned it maybe in 308 or maybe not.

Ok so im looking at the FNAR competition. I sport shot and hunt but mostly sport. 1500 in Canada seems to be very low in canada, most are about 1799.
That said, i am not compedative I like to shoot ****, so accuracy is good, but i wont buy something that is faulty in desigh (i have a henry long ranger for that, nightmare) I have alot of surplus rounds so if it acts like my Henry and jams consistantly on low cost ammo its a deal breaker. I also want to have a few extra mags but i cant find anything on weather my AR10 mags and 10 rnd 308 pistol mags will work, and the spares Ive seen are near 90$

·
Premium Member
14,615 Posts
Imm looking for same. Im Canadian and I mayor may not have my last 308 may or may not have been a banned or not banned and will not confirm or deny its, if i hypothetically owned it maybe in 308 or maybe not.

Ok so im looking at the FNAR competition. I sport shot and hunt but mostly sport. 1500 in Canada seems to be very low in canada, most are about 1799.
That said, i am not compedative I like to shoot ****, so accuracy is good, but i wont buy something that is faulty in desigh (i have a henry long ranger for that, nightmare) I have alot of surplus rounds so if it acts like my Henry and jams consistantly on low cost ammo its a deal breaker. I also want to have a few extra mags but i cant find anything on weather my AR10 mags and 10 rnd 308 pistol mags will work, and the spares Ive seen are near 90$
Welcome to our lovely Forum!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I also want to have a few extra mags but i cant find anything on weather my AR10 mags and 10 rnd 308 pistol mags will work, and the spares Ive seen are near 90$
No, AR10 mags will not work. I'm not sure what specific "308 pistol mags" you are talking about, but they won't work either. You will need FNAR mags only and yes, they go for $90 plus, but I generally see them selling easily for more.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I love my FNAR! It is sub MOA easily. I have had no problems with mine, and have had it for many years. It is better looking than the Scar is for sure. You can shoot more accurately than most bolt action .308s and there is less recoil since it is a semi automatic. As far as taking it apart and putting it back together, you don't need to do that often and it isn't that difficult. It is just different. The mags are solid, and if you run out of ammo you can beat someone to death with them.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts