FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am really tired about everyone bashing the FNAR, especially those that know nothing about the FNAR or any other firearm, so here it goes. First, the FNAR is no longer imported because of your president, not because FNH chose to discontinue them, therefore there are no more and will be no more in the U.S. market. This is straight from FNH at the 2014 Shot Show. I have owned gunshops in the greater Houston area for over 35 years so I am not a novice and have personally owned and shot more types, kinds, calibers and brands of firearms then most folks would in a dozen lifetimes. As to the .308 assault rifle, I have personally owned a M14 Socom (still have), Springfield M1A1-M14, Knights AR25, Les Baer, Armalite AR10, Bushmaster .308 custom, DPMS .308 tactical with stainless 24”, Rock River LAR8, a custom built with Krieger barrel and every goodie, etc. What I have kept, yes sold all of them except the Socom, was the FNAR. In fact I have 6 of them, 3 in a 20” heavy, 2 in a 16” and 1 in a 20” light. Out of the box the FNAR will out shoot every .308 in an AR platform I have owned, shot or seen. And friends, that is a lot more than most of you will shoot in a lifetime. So, at $1000-$1500 a copy, the FNAR is about the best buy out there for a .308 assault rifle with 20 rounds capacity. Rigged up with a red dot, Surefire flashlight grip and a folding stock, it is about the best hog gun around and has 20 rounds of deadly .308. I have the hog guns (16” and light 20”) rigged for 150 grain (cheaper) and the 3 - 20” heavies for the 168gr (optimum for a .308). One of the 20” has a Leupold tactical M6 and the other a Zeiss Z-plez 1000 which was built for a .308. They are shooting machines and accurate to 500+ meters. So, when you look for a .308, you can still find the FNAR at a very reasonable price. MSRP was $1499 when they came out and we sold a lot of them in my gunshhops at that price and higher. The FNAR has gotten a bad rap for some strange reason but when it is all done and said, the FNAR is about the best bang for the buck in a .308 assault rifle. Not much can surpass the reliable Browning platform coupled with FNH precision manufacturing and accuracy, So, next time you want a .308 assault weapon, by the best, the FNAR while you still can.

·
Banned
4,531 Posts
Thanks beta4 and well said. I have a tendency to be loyal to weapons that have been loyal to me via practical application and experience.

I have not experienced any negative issues with my FNAR and it performs as designed while enhanced with Vortex, Viper 4-16 X 44 glass. :?

·
Registered
63 Posts
...the FNAR is about the best bang for the buck in a .308 assault rifle. Not much can surpass the reliable Browning platform coupled with FNH precision manufacturing and accuracy, So, next time you want a .308 assault weapon, by the best, the FNAR while you still can.
Not surprised one bit though I've never shot the FNAR. Based on your considerable experience, what has been your experience with the SCAR 17S (16")? I've got the Leupy M6 1-6 and want the capability to reach out further with a secondary optic. I'm spinning in circles attempting to solve the quandary of defining the practical upper limit of the M6 1-6 when attempting to select a secondary optic having a practical-realistic upper limit as dictated by the performance of the 17S (168-gr plus). I'm somewhat confident the Zeiss Z-plez 1000 is out of my league and wouldn't be the best fit anyway.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have an FNAR with Leupold scope, and am very happy with the performance of the rifle. However, the bad rap came from the magazine cost (and proprietary nature), and QC issues with rail alignment documented on this forum. Good point overall though.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Well said Beta4,

I won't be getting rid of my 16" well EVER... I shot it with iron sights, scoped and maybe I will figure out some other ways... It is in the top 5 of the best do anything rifle out there (in my opinion). If people would spend more time shooting they would spend less time on forums complaining.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey beta4, do you have another reference for this...I've been scouring the interwebs and can't find anything definite.

"First, the FNAR is no longer imported because of your president, not because FNH chose to discontinue them, therefore there are no more and will be no more in the U.S. market. This is straight from FNH at the 2014 Shot Show."

Thanks!
Bach

·
Registered
169 Posts
I am not trying to start a debate, but in your eyes what makes the "best" 308 rifle?

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I got no dog in this fight, but I can't stand the words "assault rifle". I can assault you with a freaking spoon, but they don't call them " assault spoons".
To be fair, an "assault rifle" IS a real thing, and a proper term when applied to certain, select fire weapons. The FNAR, however, is NOT select fire, so can't technically be an assault rifle. Point taken about assault spoons!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts