FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All!

Just picked up my FNAR heavy yesterday. :shock: Mounted my Barska 6-24x60 scope on it an looks cool. Of course, now it's a *real* tight squeeze getting the gun back in the FNAR case. Just another 1/2 inch wider and....maybe...maybe I'll try some lower mount rings. Do you guys still use the ship case or something else? Surely FNAR is meant to have a scope!

Fury

·
Registered
21 Posts
I barely fits in the shipping case after I put on my Nikon Prostaff with medium leupold mounts.

I got a soft case for my shotgun that it fits better into, but I'm going to keep an eye out at local gun shows for a good assault rifle soft case (which seems to be necessary to accomodate the scope with the pistol grip).

·
Registered
41 Posts
Its a shame my FNAR with Nikon BDC scope does not fit in the stock case. I use a rigid rifle case to carry my scoped rifles back and forth from the gun club. I leave the soft cases for non scoped rifles, too much $$$ invested in shooting glass for me not to use a rigid case.

·
Registered
20 Posts
5-11 case

L A Police Gear is closing out 5-11 42 inch rifle cases at 1/2 off. I paid a little over 30 bucks for it.

Exgunn

·
Registered
58 Posts
case

1750 pelican. You can have the foam water-jet cut for perfection or carefully razor-knife cut. Looks real nice and has wheels and locking points. IOR with 42mm objective cannot fit in FN case. With this one, I have room for gun cleaning rod, extra mags, lazer rangefinder, bi-pod, tools, and desicant. I have to admit, my Sherpa sometimes groans...>or< $200.

·
Registered
197 Posts
A while back (page 2 of this forum area) I posted about soft drag bags. Here it is: http://fnforum.net/viewtopic.php?t=14189.

A couple of points. The Allen #1076 bag I got is a little too "roomy" for the FNAR with scope. This is mitigated (made better) by the fact that there are two straps that cinch the rifle in place in the center of the bag. However, the buckles an the straps are not the greatest and tend to loosen up, as if the strap was too slick and slips through. For what I spent ($92 at CalsSportingArmory.com), I am willing to replace the buckles with better ones and let it ride. When the straps work, I am NOT worried about damaging the scope by bumping the bag around a bit. The extra roominess of the bag is such that I'd take a direct hit at just the right spot to impact the scope directly, and even then you'd have the 3/4" or so of padding. If you're really worried about it (like megawatt is), I'd suggest putting some extra hard-shell or rigid spacers abound the scope ends or something.

The other thing, DO NOT just buy the cheapy assult rifle cases ($17-35, depending upon where you find them). Even the ones that say they are 42" long (the FNAR is fully 41-1/2" long) are too short for the FNAR. Even a longer one I tried, the Bulldog Hybrid Assualt Rifle Case (MidwayUSA P/N 613316), which says it's 45" long, is barely long enough but suffers from two other problems: 1) the carry handles are too far back, so with the front-heavy FNAR (esp. the HB), the case rides nose-down and 2) the magazine pockets are designed for .223 cal (max - I doubt they'd work for that and esp. not with curved mags) and do NOT at all fit the 7.62x51mm FNAR mags.

All in all, although it is not perfect, I am pretty happy with the Allen #1076. It has external pockets with tons of room for mags, ammo still in the boxes, a bipod, a field cleaning kit (esp. coiled-up breech-to-muzzle pull-type flexible cleaning "rod" in place of a hard rod or a three-segment, screw-together hard rod), legal paperwork and more. None of this stuff is in the rifle pocket itself, where it would slide around and scratch the finish on the rifle. A really neat feature is the backpack straps for hiking carry. They work well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts