FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any luck with finding a spare barrel? I have a 16" fluted barrel model, and really would like a 20" model for hunting. I'm in Colorado, and haven't had any luck locally or online finding an aftermarket barrel replacement. I've seen in other posts that people just say I should look for someone to swap rifles with that wants a 16". Any help or ideas?

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
For what you are going to spend on a barrel and the gunsmithing to install it, you're probably better off just buying the 20" version and selling your 16". I'm betting the differential is a lot less than you would spend on a replacement barrel. I love my FNAR, but they are cheap online.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Has been brought over the years several times. The only solution I have seen looking at the threads was to send it to FN for them to do, and the cost was quoted as $1000+ in 2013. The 20" versions are easier to find than the 16", so you may be better off trying to find a trade, or sell the 16" and buy a 20". The 20" is even heavier at the muzzle than the 16", so not sure it is worth the extra weight for the 150-200 fps you will get with the longer barrel.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Sell the one he has and buy a new one. FN/Browning probably loses money on doing repair/service work this substantial on the FNAR.

Yes, if you ever plan to shoot farther than 400 yards distance, having a 20 inch versus 16 inch is a big deal. That's a big velocity loss when it comes to 500 to 900 yards distance.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It’s too bad that a company like this doesn’t do work for there customers....sometimes people will pay ...ya ya I know there bread winner is the big military contracts....
i scratch my head and think they have the tooling and the people ....why not open a custom/repair shop ...
boy o boy I’d love to have a 24” barrel .....it’s what I want

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hi Davide, Why the 24" itch? the 20" probably gives better accuracy in most situations. It is also lighter and easier to carry in brush/forest situations. The gain in FPS might not be worth it. All depends on your end in mind.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Closest you are going to get to 24" is the Browning ShortTrac Stalker in with a 22 inch barrel. Same gun, less tactical than the FNAR. Otherwise..... Dream on....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts