FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got an FNAR 20" heavy. Only had it out a hand full of times, but I love shooting this gun. I have access to 600 yards and would like to use my FNAR to reach out that far. Has anyone taken their FNAR out to 600 yards or beyond? If so, did you need an aftermarket scope base with built in MOA or a one piece scope mount with built in MOA in order to get out that far? Please let me know what experiences you've had and let me know what parts you've tested. After a quick search I found this aftermarket rail https://www.murphyprecision.com/Products/Item/1390. Thanks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am not an experienced distance shooter but from what I have read the 20MOA scope base is if you are going to consistently shoot 500 yards or greater. I would recommend using your scopes capabilities to shot 600 yards which you should be able to do if you zero at 200 yards.Personally I am more interested in lowering the height of my scope to get it closer to the bore access. I think I found a BAR long trac picatinny rail that may fit the bill since I want to keep my stock rail. Just trying to confirm the picatinny rail mount is the same between FNAR and BAR.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a leupold vx3i 5 to 25 ffp x 50mm... and I use isnipe on my iPhone I punch in a few things and it gives me my dope ...and I dial up for distance...the farthest I show was 600 meters....I’m canadian...and have a zero moa base on rifle..
if this helps u at all
yes a fun toy to shoot .....but a bastard to reload for ...as I read people were only getting 1.5...2.0 moa with these rifles
my self I did a **** load of reloading for it ....155’s...168’s..175’s.....and powder bloody hell the powder I tried ....
this is it trial and error!....
I have gotten 3/4” to just over 1” for groups ...these are 3 shot groups ...go to 5 shot groups and the groups open up .....so hopefully you have a good shooter there...funny thing is I’m a browning bar guy I just love them .....Christ almighty all my hunting rifles are semmis!,!and shoot 3/4” to 1/2 of an inch...and this is fnar ....well it’s funny ...if I can’t tame this bastard ....it’s going by by ...
my the force be with you ...lol
cheers
davide

·
Registered
60 Posts
Try Berger Target 168 or heavier and seat the bullet to the lands. They won't fit in the mag but you should get under moa consistently

·
Registered
74 Posts
168 or 178gr ELD-M or 178gr Sierra Matchking with Varget is usually the ticket with 20 inch barrel.

Unless you are bored/experimenting or must chase the sub-MOA unicorn goal for gas guns, don't bother wasting time finding 0.5 MOA consistent load.

Especially if you shoot long range (500 yards or more), having a low variation velocity load near max safe pressure that shoots 1.25 MOA or better consistently (all day every day) is best.

·
Registered
283 Posts
185 Berger VLD Hunt 1.25 MOA. Hoping to Improve.

A year old thread. But we FNAR fans are patient.

I didn't have luck with 150's even after trying a lot of powders. Old reloading threads on this site have all this back info. I have a 165 SKG load that can be 1 MOA, but is not consistent (probably the nut....). I am working on a 185 Berger VLD Hunting over Varget that is now at 1.25 MOA. I think I can do better, but would use this long range at 1.25 MOA.

BTW the 165's were good for 500 yards, but I wasn't able to make the jump to 800 yards. The rounds were all over the place. I am hoping the better BC of the 185's does the trick. I't will be a few weeks as I will be traveling (by RV). I'll post back what I find. Maybe someone will find it useful info in a year or so.

Stay safe.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Back in February, before all global health situation blew up, I've done 450 yards with M80 ball reloads of WC-846 with a safe progressive press load that gets me around 2715 FPS.

Unfortunately that day I was short on time, as I was with one of my friends and I didn't have a whole lot of time to get set up and shoot my match grade handloads.

I can certainly say that going from 300 yards to 450'ish yards is a big grouping difference in that M80 ball due to charge weight difference, powder temp sensitivity, and the bullet's effect on accuracy.

That's one of the times I wish I had a decent spotting scope for someone to call shots.

Next time I go there, I'll be focusing on gathering data for known distances.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I now have a better 185 Berger VLD Hunt load using 41.0 gr IMR 4064. This is the max load. Interestingly the jump is quite large at 0.130". My 165 SGK load is right off the lands. Don't assume anything with this gun and try everything in the cabinet. That is how I came up using this powder which the FNAR has always hated. The IMR 4064 load is sub MOA, but I did have one flyer out of 5 I really can't account for other than typical FNAR behavior.

At the range today I was consistent at 620 yards on steel if I did my part on the 8" circle target. So yes I think this is a long range load. I want to break the 800 yard barrier and see if I can get to 1000. The platform I was on today maxed out at 620. It was fun fast fire banging a 400 yard IPSIC target over and over as fast as it could be reacquired.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yes the Bergers are so long out front that if you want them to fit in the mag you have to be off the lands quit a bit. I was enamored with Bergers VLDs a while back but rediscovered 168 gr SMK s. They can be seated with a lot less jump and still fit in the mags. I started using a Lee collett neck sizer and it has given me the consistantly tighter groups with my 6.5 Tikka ctr and my fnar.

·
Registered
283 Posts
During a long range training session a few weeks ago I successfully engaged an IPSC silhouette at 1075 yards several times. The 185 Berger VLD hunting loads were great. 2 MOA of wind was required to get them there. Note my FNAR is a 20" light that FN claims can't do this.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
600 yards is going to be less than 6 mils, so no need to have a canted mount unless you have a scope with that kind of limit.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I should have noted that the scope has been replaced on my FNAR. It now has a Trijicon Accupoint 3X18X50 with a very nice 2FP MOA reticle. This required a new scope mount which is a LaRue 20MOA 30mm. I really like this setup and am going to try it in PRS. I have at least near bolt accuracy, but give up recoil and wind resistence to the new stuff the PRS crowd mostly uses now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts