FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heck, while we're doing comparisons: Are there any advantages of M1A's over the FNAR, other than cheaper magazines (for now)?

I'm just trying to get my priorities straight for pre-AWB2.0 buying.

Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I picked the FNAR over the M1a because:

1. Accuracy. The FNAR accuracy is supposed to be as good or better than the M1a. I read an article in a magazine at the grocery store yesterday that tested the FNAR at 0.45 MOA out of the box. WHAAA.

2. Size and Weight. The shorter and lighter weight FNAR is far better in a tactical scenario or if you have to pack it cross-country.

3. Rails. All the rails for optics, bipod, etc. are in place and ready to go.

4. Maintenance. The M1a is suposedly high-maintenance compared to the FNAR in order to keep the accruacy up.

5. Price. $1275 after rebate is considerably lower than you will pay for a loaded M1a ($1700+).

6. FN Technology and Innovation. The M1a is based on old technology...might as well get a Garrand.

7. Interchangeable Barrels. It has been reported that FN may offer other caliber barrels for the FNAR in the future (I didn't know this at the time of purchase). 338 Federal would be bad a**.

8. Pistol Grip. Some say it looks goofy...but if you are into looks over functionality, you need to go shopping for drapes at the mall with your wife. The pistol grip feels natural in my hands.

9. Adjustability. Being able to adjust the stock to the shooter (recoil pads/length of pull, comb height, cast/drop at comb). Can't do that with an M1a.

Those are just my thoughts after researching both weapons. The FN proprietory magazine issue and cost does stink, but it doesn't offset #1-9 above. I have no experience with the M1a outside of the gun store, so take it for what it's worth. It would be interesting to hear from someone that has range experience with both weapons to weigh-in.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have both, a loaded standard M1 with a national match stainless barrel with a synthetic stock and a FNAR.

Teardown is soooo much easier on the M1, and in three years it has never failed me.

I refuse to mount a scope on my M1 but I can still hit a 550yd iron target with surplus ammo using the iron sights. The iron sights are about the best that has been put on a service rifle, they are very accurate at all ranges.

I can drop the M1 on the ground and not worry about it. I would probably cry if I dropped the FNAR and pray the scope is not broken or did not loose the zero.

The M1 is a lot lighter than the FNAR because my FNAR has bipod and scope. The FNAR is very front heavy, it is not balanced due to the accessories mounted on it.

In three years and over 2000 rounds fired I have only taken the piston out to clean it once. I tilted the rifle and did not hear the piston slide in the tube so I cleaned it out. I know it would of still fired for many more rounds but I cleaned it anyway. So it is NOT a high maintenance weapon.

M1 parts and accessories are easy to find, just getting FNAR magazines are a pain in the behind and costly if you can even find them.

While my FNAR should be more accurate (in all honesty I can't compare iron sights to a 14x power scope) it cost about the same and looks great but in my opinion is the M1 is a more sexy looking weapon. Don't get me wrong I really like my FNAR, and because its still new to me I have been taking it out to the range more than my M1 but soon I will be taking both of them out at the same time.

The M1 is old technology, and it has proven to work. New does not always mean better just like old does not necessarily mean not up to the task.

If I had to choose one to take with me when the chit hits the fan it would have to be the M1 due to its durability, reliability, and no scope. I can throw it in the back of a truck pick it up and shoot it accurately.

I don't have loyalty to any manufacture or product be it a gun, car, or motorcycle, etc. if it works I say it is a good product, if its a headache then I have no problem saying it is a POS. So far for me, both are great rifles and fire the correct caliber bullet in my opinon :-D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the insight on the M1a. Like I said, I have no practical experience with it.

Obviously, the .308 is a great round that is proven, and also cheaper. However, anytime you can throw a larger round, at a greater velocity, with more energy...I'm all in. :-D

·
Registered
133 Posts
Great thread and good points all around. I really like tghe FNAR, but shooting lefty I just can't get past the crossbolt safety. I like the safety on the M14 better.

Iron sights on the M14 are exceptonal--none on the FNAR.

New stock options for the M14 add rails.

The FN is really updated (BAR) technology, nothing new and does not appear easy to maintain.

Seriously, I want both, and may even get an FNAR someday. It felt and handled great to me in the store. Sounds like they are very accurate. I'm glad it's out there.

·
Registered
114 Posts
megawatt said:
I can drop the M1 on the ground and not worry about it. I would probably cry if I dropped the FNAR and pray the scope is not broken or did not loose the zero.
i don't have much triggertime on the M1A/M14, but it was my impression that if you're really into accuracy, dropping your M1A would mean that you have to re-bed your rifle due to the way that the stock is kept in place. (maybe Springfield fixed that with their M1A version, i don't know)

·
Registered
41 Posts
SuA said:
i don't have much triggertime on the M1A/M14, but it was my impression that if you're really into accuracy, dropping your M1A would mean that you have to re-bed your rifle due to the way that the stock is kept in place. (maybe Springfield fixed that with their M1A version, i don't know)
I can buy that theory, it will be taking a chance but not a certainty you would have problems with the bedding. Drop any accurate shooting rifle on a concrete surface and there is a chance it will not be the same with regards to accuracy. But the M1 can take a lot more abuse because of the iron sights and being less heavy.

My point was drop a rifle with a glass scope and your taking bigger chances on loosing a lot more $$ on repairs.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Because of this thread I researched m1a to compare with the fnar. It would seem that the m1a isn't in the same ballpark as far as accuracy. I read a couple places where the m1a was far outside MOA.

Would you agree with this?

apples and oranges?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Kent E said:
Because of this thread I researched m1a to compare with the fnar. It would seem that the m1a isn't in the same ballpark as far as accuracy. I read a couple places where the m1a was far outside MOA.

Would you agree with this?

apples and oranges?
Yup, I would absolutely agree. However if you can hit a target like a iron silouette of a ram that is 550 yards away would you still not consider it accurate? If I use the FNAR I can put the round directly on the head of the ram where the M1 I will only hit the ram somewhere like head, shoulder, legs but I will hit it.

The accuracy topic is not the only factor when doing a comparison. Some things to consider would be reliability, weight, avaliable accessories, ease of maintenance, cost of mags etc.

I have a order in with CMMG since christmas for two 20 round mags for the FNAR at $50 each and still no word from CMMG on delivery time. They simply told me they are waiting for the mags and thanked me for my patience.

Then there are even simple things like why does the FNAR that needs a scope (because it has no iron sights) come in a plastic case but once you mount a scope on it now it does not fit in the carry case????

I just bought one of those sweet unbreakable, waterproof, pelican gun cases to carry my FNAR from place to place. They are pricey at $190 but truly top knotch gun case and I am very happy with its construction. Sucker weighs 23 lbs empty, good thing it has wheels on the bottom.

If I did not like my FNAR I would not spend $200 on a case just to carry it around. I like my FNAR very much!!! And I will be shooting it for years to come.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Did you have to cut out the foam in the Pelican to fit your weapon or was it pre cut from the factory for the FNAR?

·
Registered
41 Posts
moreair said:
Did you have to cut out the foam in the Pelican to fit your weapon or was it pre cut from the factory for the FNAR?
I will have to cut it out, but the case is big enough to carry two rifles in it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have owned and shot a bakers dozen (13) M1A rifles.

4 M1A Springfields (1 early NM, two GIs with all USGI parts, and one Loaded NM stainless)
6 Poly Tech's
2 Armscorps
1 Fed Ord I think it was?

NONE of them would constantly shoot MOA. ALL of them except the Fed Ord which was a piece of junk, would SOMETIMES shoot MOA or better. (5 shots)

After 20+ years of trying to love my M1A / M14, I have finally given up. I am hoping that the FNAR is going to unseat the M1A as my favorite 308 semi. I will know that answer soon. My rifle arrives Monday.

What is my 2nd Favorite .308 Semi you ask? The FAL. I have two of them and they are both MOA to MOA and a 1/4 shooters, but I can't seem to do any better than that regardless of the ammo.

If my new FNAR shoots 2 MOA with Fed Gold I am not going to send it back to FNH, I am going to THROW it in the RIVER and apply for a job with the Obama-Nation administration. (OK kind of joking there but there is going to be some yelling if it doesn't.)

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
This topic rocks. I have the exact same question. I need some more reason not to buy a springfield over the FNAR. I gotta get me that Springfield, unless somebody can convince me otherwise

1 - 15 of 15 Posts