FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Devildoc had an excellent point. What Optic is the best to put put on your new FNAR?

I think the question needs answered in TWO ways.

First, what optic and accessories (like rings, range finder, bi-pod, whatever) if price is not an issue.

Second, what optic and accessories are the best value for the buck?

Granted, range finder and bi-pod don't have to do directly with your OPTIC choice...but obviously inclusion of such equipment might very well impact your optic selection....so include such details as are appropriate for your thoughts and preferences.

·
Banned
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump since this was probably missed during the site problems yesterday.

·
Banned
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was looking at getting the...

Bushnell Yardage Pro Laser Scope

Bushnell's all-in-one guide to hitting everything!

Bushnell combined a premium 4–12x 42mm riflescope, laser rangefinder and bullet-drop compensator, so you can see your target with stunning clarity and nail it with lethal precision. Fully multi-coated optics deliver optimum brightness and color fidelity. The laser rangefinder is activated with a wireless trigger pad. Bullet-drop turrets eliminate hold-over guesswork. We wrote a new book on accuracy, and you get to end it.

Bushnell Yardage Pro

- Mounts to Weaver Style Bases
- Fully multi-coated optics
- 100% waterproof / fogproof
- 3.5" eye relief
- Windage end elevation click value .25
- Mil-dot reticle
- Weighs only 24 oz.
- 30–800 yards/meter range
- +/- 1-yard accuracy
- Standard and SCAN modes
- Wireless trigger pad
- Operates on one 3-Volt battery (5,000 fires)
- Bullet-drop compensation turrets

Yeah, that is right, it has a little wireless pad with a button on it. You attach it down by the grip. One tap of your finger, and the scope shows digitally the exact distance to target using the laser range finder. You can then use the top dial of the scope and dial it to the correct distance, 350 yards, 500 yards, whatever.

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
It's not the prettiest scope, but if it gets the job done like it's supposed you...

you've got a winner.

·
Banned
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is a pretty ugly looking scope. I wonder if there are similar alternatives out there?

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
There are a couple of other similar scopes with range finders built in (one is an Elcan, and I cannot think of the other one right now). But, they probably cost more...

·
Registered
21,554 Posts

·
Banned
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Excellent suggestion. The more I look into it, I think I want a scope with an integrated range finder.

Zeiss has a top of the line one, but that costs $3,700. A bit more than I wanted to spend.

Elcan has one, not what I am looking for though? $1,300 price isn't prohibitive, but it strikes me as way too complex.
http://www.elcansportingoptics.com/ProductLine/DigitalHunter_DayNight.php

If you can fill in any additional info or answer the RED questions, thanks for your help.

Here are the three I was looking at......

Burris $680.95
http://www.competitor.net/burris-laserscope-4-12x-42mm-laser-rangefinding-riflescopes.html
Nice look
Remote activation
Can get Mil-dot reticule (I included in price above)

Notes:
A sweet lookng scope

Question:
Is it waterproof?
Can you get bullet drop turets for it?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bushnell $679.99
http://www.competitor.net/bushnell-yardage-pro-4-12x42--laser-rangefinder-rifle-scope-204124.html
Looks ugly
remote activation
Waterproof
Bullet Drop Compensator Turrets

Notes:
Bullet Drop Compensator Turrets are SWEET. Pick your caliber and drop in the turret. Match yardage on turret to readout and BANG!

Questions:
No reticule options?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nikon $899.95
http://www.competitor.net/nikon-laser-irt-rangefinding-4-12x42-riflescope.html
Looks about as ugly as Bushnell
remote activation
watterproof

Notes:

Questions:
No reticule options?
Can you get bullet drop turets?
What is BDC Reticle?

·
Registered
1 Posts
UNUSUAL RANGEFINDING ALTERNATIVE

Sometimes one doesn't have the time or enough hands to range on a quick shot. Here's a scope that seems to solve that problem in an innovative and intuitive way:

http://www.shepherdscopes.com/index.asp

If they produced one with an objective lense size 50mm or greater, I'd snap up one of these in an instant.

The beauty of it is the combination of the best of front focal plane reticlule characteristics with the best of rear focal plane ones. In fact, there are both front and rear reticlues in this scope. I've never seen anything like it.

The result is that for a known target such as a deer (24") or a bad guy (18") and a known bullet ballistic (the .308 is very well documented), the shooter can determine the range with one swift motion and shoot immediately.

The other very cool feature is the ease of zeroing the scope with one or two shots. Unlike other scopes that require dozens of shots and adjustments, this one is a no-brainer. You simply fire on the bull's eye and note the location of the hole. Then you move the crosshair over to match the hole. That's it! Amazing.

Oh, and the best part, this scope is only $657 or $762.

My only problem with it is that the objective is only 40mm. That usually means too much vignetting for me. However, with the FNAR, the ability to adjust the stock and comb for pull, rise, and cast might just make the anxiety over proper eye placement low enough to give it a try.

I think ease of use is vastly under rated. It's one thing to spend hours manipulating a scope at the range to establish the various zeroes, but when you have that trophy buck in sight, you don't have time to fuss the shot. And if the target is shooting back, you're screwed if you can't get on him in an instant.

I'm ready to buy a FNAR as soon as I see a few good range reports on the accuracy. Hope you find a scope soon!

·
Banned
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
devildoc said:
Another scope you might want to consider is Leupold Mark 4 CQ/T Tactical Scope. Here is a web site, I would look around for another site if I were you though, I have not had very good outcomes with these guys.

http://www.botachtactical.com/lema4cq.html
I actually have this very same scope on my M4 right now. Nowhere near enough magnification for the FNAR at 3x if you ask me. The range of the FNAR is a lot longer than I can see with that scope.

Of course my eyes are horrible....

I did decide to purchase this scope:

http://www.bushnell.com/general/rangefinders_yardagepro.cfm?section=Hunting

Not a very impressive looking scope, but it has a few features that can't be beat.

1. There is an integrated laser range finder. Just tap the wireless remote you have on the rifle grip and the scope displays the yardage as you look through it. Pretty sweet.

2. It includes drop in turrents for various calibers marked for yardage. So for example, zero the weapon for 300 yards. Plunk in the turret with yardage markers for this caliber and vuola, just turn to the yard on the side of the turret and you are good to go!

So you hit the rangefinding button, read the yardage, turn the turrent to the corresponding distance and you are set.

·
Banned
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
$696 or something like that. I will update with an extra photo

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
When I'm hunting deer I rarely take a shot over 400 yards, in fact most are around 250 yards and yes I know what you mean... my eyes suck now a days also. That bushnell looks interesting, my only worry is if it can hold up to the shock wave caused by rifle fire. Don't laugh, but I carry a cheap golfers range finder with me when I go hunting and I have my settings taped to the top of the scope. :oops:

If you deside to get the bushnell, let us know how you like it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just bought on of these BARSKA 6-24x60 IR SWAT Extreme Tactical 30mm Riflescope:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001JJCHBG

At amazon for $199 (through sportsman's guide). Can't see it for less than $300 anywhere else, and, in fact, the scope is also listed >300 at sportsmans guide. Might be a typo :) You guys might want have a look. Anyway, hope the 60mm aperture is not too big for this gun...

Fury
PS: Anyone tried this scope? I has good reviews.

·
Banned
28 Posts
I was looking at a fixed 10x or 12x by Leupold. I'm not looking to shoot at anything under 300 yards. Would this power scope fit that use on my FNAR?

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
Xlegionaire said:
Well i just got an FNAR and my optics choice will more then likely be a Nightforce 3.5-15x50 at least thats my choice for the moment 8)

http://www.nightforceoptics.com/SCOPES_OVERVIEW/3_5-15x50___3_5-15x56_/3_5-15x50___3_5-15x56_.html
That's the scope I'll most likely get when I start getting into bolt guns (looking at something Tactical Operations-not to start, but once I get better). If I ever get an FNAR, I might put one of these on it, but I might try something a little cheaper first.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts