FN Herstal Firearms banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts
Discussion starter · #27 ·
Writeup

Ok, so I just had a moment to breathe and I shall report as promised.

My trip did not begin without problems. At 10:00 PM, my American flight out of SLC developed a "mechanical" problem. At midnight, the flight was cancelled. So much for me having a shower and going to bed at MGM. I was ushered to a hotel downtown SLC and slept for 4 hours to get on a 6:00 AM flight to Vegas. That one was almost cancelled due to weather.

Enough bitchin' because from then on - it was awesome. Got to MGM (provisions of FNH), had a shower, got a $4.00 regular coffee at Starbucks and headed to the meet place for the bus that would take us to the range where the FN Writers Shoot took place.

While waiting, I have befriended a Belgian fellow that was responsible for PR and R&D. We immediately hit it off - talking about FNP vs. Glock vs. HK and so forth.

Most of the upper echelons from FN Belgium and FNH USA were there - most of whom I got to talk to. After getting to the range on a party bus, we were greeted with shwag and food galore.

Once again, I had a chance to meet most of them including Elaine Golladay from DAG Tactical - a very wonderful lady who was able to bring me into the FN fold and make everything happen. I also had a chance to meet Ken Flood - our own FNman (the one responsible for making initial contact with FNForum.net) and many, many other fine FN folks, writers from various gun magazines and publications.

Writers, reporters and hopefuls like me were divided into 3 groups - over 150 people in all. We had 3 ranges, one for handguns, one for rifles and subguns and one for long range stuff including the .50 call full auto monster.

FNH staff began by a safety meeting and then a prologue by the SEO of FNH USA.

I shot everything, a number of times and then I shot it again. At the end of the day, there were many smiles and a lot of empty brass on the ground. The event was extremely organized and everyone got shoot - many times - whatever they liked.

One noteworthy item that I would like to re-iterate here is their commitment to the civilian market. Unlike other manufacturers that do not provide reasonable access and manufacture of their military small arms to the civilians - FNH has once again stated that they will - within the provisions of federal laws - make available their military small arms in the civilian format. Hence, their commitment to the SCAR light release - and others.

OK, now to the weapons. I will give a short blurb on two weapons that everyone is anxious to hear about.

SCAR LIGHT:

I had a chance to shoot the SCAR commando in 10.5 inch on semi and full auto as well as the civilian 16.0 inch prototype on semi-auto.

The first thing you notice is how light it is. Despite the upper being made of aluminum - it was lighter than my comparably equipped AR15 with a 16 inch barrel.

Since it is here to replace the M4, I will draw direct comparison to that weapons platform. The SCAR is completely ambidextrous for one. The trigger pull was of the 5lb variety - no creep - nice and crisp. The safety did not need to be swung 180 degrees to engage full auto - more like an MP5 in ergonomics.

The thing that surprised me the most was recoil. I would say at least 30% less than a comparable M4 with almost no muzzle blast. This was quite amazing considering it had only a 10 inch barrel. On full auto - it was way more controllable than an M4 - due to its relatively slow cyclic rate.

I did not even have to extent the butt stock to shoot it well. Once I did - the buttock even has an adjustable cheek piece - and it of course folds to offer even a smaller footprint.

After the day was done - we disassembled the rifle and to my amazement - it looked almost unfired inside. I am not one to gloat over such details - but this is something I was truly amazed with. The aluminum is also coated with a Teflon based paint that is self lubricating - requiring minimum of lube. Matter of fact, the gun can run completely devoid of any lube.

Surprisingly, the SOCOM folks do not like the fact that the operator can exchange barrel lengths in the field. I thought that it was a nice feature to have - but alas the top military brass do not want the men in the trenches "monkeying" with their weapons. I find that odd.

At any rate, the civilian version shot exactly the same - sans the "A" lettering by the selector. We only get "0" and "1" - but hey - we GET IT!

As soon as one is available - I will be the first to get one.

FNP .45

What a pleasure to shoot. I have a variety of 1911's, Glock 21 and an HK .45 I really liked the flat strap FNP .45 - it fit my hand much better than the Glock and somewhat similar to the HK - yet a pinch slimmer.

The difference between the FNP and all other are that it is the smoothest shooting .45 - PERIOD. I shot this group at 10 yards - fast fire.

I did compete in IPSC and IDPA for over 10 years, so I know a small bit about guns - but do not claim to be an expert.

I used Glock 20 in 10mm for a very long time, then the HK in .45 then my Springfield TRP operator and a variety of .40 caliber guns. The FNP snaps less than their 9mm offering - and that is no small feat considering the weight of the bullet. It is by no means a small pistol and I would not carry one concealed. But for a duty, cocked and locked - perfect. For the competition aficionados - perhaps - but most shooters want that 3lb trigger and a $3,000 tuned gun - so FNP .45 is not really in that arena and it should not be. As match grade pistols make very poor combat guns, FNP .45 does not make a perfect match gun - albeit - it will hold its own in the proper hands.

And - like the 1911 platform, it has the safety in the right place.

If I was looking for a high capacity, reliable and soft shooting .45 - I would definitely add the FNP to my arsenal.

That concludes my write-up. I have to thank FNP USA for putting up such a wonderful and professional event, and for allowing me to participate on behalf of this board.

FNH is very cognizant of our members and the contribution we make as a community. To that end, they have announced that they will sponsor another FN Fun shoot "FOR THIS FORUM" in around September and fly one member from the forum to the event.

I have to ask the members - what other manufacturer engages their civilian customer base to this extent?

I will start a raffle pursuant to that event in a couple of months. One lucky individual will be flown and treated to the event. I will also supply FNH with Google stats so that they can pick a venue that may serve the largest audience of this FNFROUM.NET. I do believe that Texas (no surprise) is the leader in unique visits to the site.

The Shot Show was so huge that I almost gave up. It would have taken days to walk to every booth and examine all the wares. After 2 days of walking - I was happy to catch a cab and go home. FNH had a very large and professional set up - much nicer than HK I must admit. :-D

That is for now - and thanks for coming back to read all about it. All pictures are available here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/milos.krivka/FNWritersShootAndShotShow2008

-TH

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.